Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart Trader not showing correct P&L

Hi,

I was entering a market order on ES future and the Profit / Loss shown on the chart using chart trader showed $1,000 loss, on another occation P&L showed $64,000 loss immediately the order was filled.

I was trading using Interactive Brokers and data provided by Kinetick.

I called IB and they said there was nothing wrong on their end.

I traded through the $1k loss assuming it was slipage, but $64k was really scary and I closed trade.

Any idea what is going on?

CRITICAL — If your inquiry involves live orders, please always reach out to your broker's Orders Desk immediately to confirm and manage your live orders and positions.

So I may accurately assist you, please answer all of the following questions:
    • What version of NinjaTrader 8 are you using? Please provide the entire version number. This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 8.0.?.?)
    • What version of TWS/Gateway are you using?
    • Do you receive an error on screen? Are there errors on the Log tab of the Control Center? If so, what do these errors report?
    • Please clarify - this was a live order/position to your Interactive Brokers account? Or was this a simulated order/position to a simulated account?
    • Unrealized PnL is always calculated locally (it is not provided by your broker). Is it possible to recreate this symptom now when opening a position in the Sim101 account?
    • If you disconnect from data, does your chart continue to print in real-time? Or does it stop instantly?

Comment

Hi Patrick,

I am using NT8 8.0.20.0 64-bit

TWS Build 979.3z, Mar 19, 2020 4:36:15 PM

No errors on screen

No errors in Log File

It was a live order.

I cannot connect to TWS Sim account with NT8

I have been placing many (100s) orders, and have only noticed issues on these two occations. Using Sim101 to place 20 orders I have not been able to recreate the issue.

Disconnecting data halts the chart immediately.

Thanks

Ian

Comment

With the information at hand, the only root causes I can think of would be a bad tick of real-time data which then caused a very incorrect unrealized PnL calculation.

Also, I see you're using an unsupported version of TWS. To ensure that this unsupported version is not contributing to any symptoms, I recommend that you download and use the supported version of TWS (973.2). Here is a direct link:

Comment

Hi Patrick,

I will go back to the version you recommend.

Can you please advise how often NT upgrade the supported version of TWS. There are features in the later versions of TWS that are useful.

Thanks

Ian

Comment

When a new version of TWS is supported, it will be noted in the releases notes that the connection guide.

Comment

Hi Ian and Patrick

Can you please explain if you actualy then lost 64k instantly - and do you "accept" that? - or was there a stop order that prevented this from happening?

I'm doing some few strategies tests now - and im testing to see how it can work - but i wonder if/what i should enter for slipage in the simulations?
              Is slipage meant to be the spread? Im using Interactive Broker as well - I think that Interactive Brokers have low spread - (like arround 0.1 for many things) but would that be 1 for slipage?

Thanks.

Comment

KarstenKafl , with the information at hand, I suspect this was simply a visual glitch introduced by the conflict between NinjaTrader and the unsupported version of TWS. It's obviously not 'impossible', but highly improbable that you could get yourself into a situation where you've lost tens of thousands of dollars in real dollars instantly.

The 'Slippage' property is defined in the Strategy Analyzer help guide as:
                Set the amount of slippage in ticks to apply to market / stop market / Market-if-touched order executions (default is 0)

Note: In the Summary the Slippage is displayed in points.
                I'd recommend asking your question in the NinjaScript sub-forums so that a NinjaScript technician can educate you further on how the slippage property functions and what it's purpose is for in a testing environment with NinjaScript strategies.

Comment

Patrick,

This issue occurred again. Please see the attached plots. Chart has fill price 3011.75. Execution 3443.50

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ian
                  Attached Files

Comment

Forgot to say This happened about 2 times within a few minutes. I closed position and then retried. It is very disconcerting when this happens.

See plot.

Thanks

Ian
                    Attached Files

Comment

Please clarify - did you ever download and begin using the supported version of TWS when we spoke in March? There is actually a newer version that is officially supported now - 978.2c. If you're not using this version, please download and begin using TWS 978.2c. Additionally, there have been two new releases of NinjaTrader 8 since this thread began (8.0.22.2 is the current version at the time of this post).

Here is a direct download link to TWS 978.2c:To update NinjaTrader, please follow the steps below:
                      • First, copy your license key from NinjaTrader under Help> License Key then exit NinjaTrader
                      • Click on the link: http://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect
                      • Enter your license key and press Submit
                      • Select 'NinjaTrader 8'
                      • Select 'Download'
                      • Critical: Before running the installer, ensure NinjaTrader is closed.
                      I'd also recommend resetting your simulator. Resetting a simulation account will clear all historical trade data from this account. Please follow the instructions below to reset a simulation account:
                      • From the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the Accounts tab
                      • Right click on your simulation account and select 'Edit Account'
                      • Press the "Reset" button
                      Please let me know if this symptom persists when using the supported version of TWS with the latest version of NinjaTrader after resetting your simulator.

Comment

Thanks I will try that.

I was using version 978.2f (Stable version). How do you stop TWS doing uploads when you login?

I was using a live account but will reset the SIM anyway.

Thanks,

Ian

Comment

The TWS download links I've provided in my posts have the auto-update feature disabled.

Comment

Hello,

I've had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday.

After my buy stop was filled, I immediately had the same visual price glitch. I freaked out and closed the position.
                            After a few seconds I tried again and after filling the order, the same glitch happened!

It only resolved after I closed and reconnected the IB Gateway API.

I'm also using IB and Kinetick. I dowloaded and installed the recommended supported version from the installation guide: https://ninjatrader.com/de/ninjatrad...way-981-3i.exe

I'm using the newest NT version 8.0.25.0

Any idea what is going on?

P.S.: I noticed, that on your installation guide you're recommending the Gateway version 981.3c -- but the download link redirects to version 981.3i -- with an "i" not "c". Is this correct?
                            Last edited by km027; 07-09-2022, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for posting.

I'd like to review your log and trace files for this item, which should not be posted publicly on the forum. You can send me your log and trace files so that I may look into what occurred by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support. Please ensure 'Log and Trace Files' is checked to include these files. This is checked by default.

Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 2476030 ATTN: Drew
                              Drew O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by GLFX005, Today, 03:23 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post GLFX005
                              by GLFX005

Started by XXtrader, Yesterday, 11:30 PM