Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How to Attach an Indicator to All Charts of the instrument (like a Drawing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Attach an Indicator to All Charts of the instrument (like a Drawing)

I can attach a drawing like Fibonacci Retracements to all charts for an instrument.

How can I get the same experience for indicators? For example I have a VWAP indicator which is calculated on a 30 second bar, which I wan to be able to show to the minutes and hourly charts also for the same instrument.

By calculating it only one chart, and sharing the data with other charts I can get the best results both from an accuracy and a performance point of view.

Thoughts?

you can't afaik.
    afaik you can with some but not all drg tools
    with those you can in chart panel #1 - only

you can add multiple Data Series to same chart panel - so if you want a 30s vwap on min & hr charts, add 30s to 5min & to hourly, attach vwap then hide 30s.

Not optimal design/architecture in terms of performance efficiency. FWIW I'm forced to have a gazillion like this for similar reasons. No performance issues resulting therefrom, since the latest Release.

My setup is otherwise pretty mundane though.

Comment

Originally posted by brucerobinson View Post

you can add multiple Data Series to same chart panel - so if you want a 30s vwap on min & hr charts, add 30s to 5min & to hourly, attach vwap then hide 30s.
      Thanks for the suggestion.

Could you tell me how you hide the secondary series? Is it by setting it to a transparent brush or is there an option we can chose to not display it?

Comment

Line On Close & Transparent least hit on performance

Comment

Hello aviat72,

Thank you for your posts.

brucerobinson's advice is solid here. You can't put a VWAP on one chart and attach it to all charts like you could a global drawing object. His advice to add the secondary series to the chart and use Line on Close and transparent would work as well.

You could also put the secondary series into a second panel, set the VWAP to use that series as its input but to display in panel 1, then right click in the price axis for panel 1 and select maximize for a similar effect.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.
          Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions folks; will try them out.

Comment

Originally posted by brucerobinson View Post
              you can't afaik.
              afaik you can with some but not all drg tools
              with those you can in chart panel #1 - only

Not optimal design/architecture in terms of performance efficiency. FWIW I'm forced to have a gazillion like this for similar reasons. No performance issues resulting therefrom, since the latest Release.

My setup is otherwise pretty mundane though.
              hi i am new to ninjatrader , can u please elaborate little more on this method please

thanks

Comment

@toocool - there are two distinct things being referred to in my response as a solution to the OP’s aim, suggested used in conjunction.
                Namely ‘make drawing objects global’, and ‘adding multiple Data Series’.

For the first, the Help Guide is your friend.
                For the second, Ninja have many Videos that take you step-by-step ‘how to’ and there is on on adding multiple data series so have a search there and all will become clear as to how. In my humble opinion these tend to be a bit ‘light’ on why you may wish to do what they portray I.e. examples of common use cases that cannot otherwise be done or not without custom add-ons. But then again that’s up to the User, once you know you ‘can’….

I wasn’t aware of Kate’s suggestion, nor thought through the relative merits of each or where one would be preferred over the other. But that may have been obvious to the OP. I learnt something regardless.

One thing I would say, is that I ended up ditching the adding multiple data series approach for 2 reasons - although the recommendation to use transparent brush and line on close line style aims to minimise the performance hit, I found it to be significant in my Setup resulting in lag in periods of higher volatility, cumulative at times to the point at which the platform would become unresponsive. I also found it made the platform more cumbersome to manage - custom chart templates with 4 data series, increased loading times etc. So I went another route and now achieve my objective with 1 data series per instrument and have no such problems. Just a cautionary tale from one User - there may be many for whom it is just what they need and you also.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by RookieTrader, Today, 07:41 AM
                1 response
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                Started by kujista, Today, 05:44 AM
                1 response
                0 likes