Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loss of workspace...10 times and counting

hello,

I feel I should write back to express my complete frustration at continually losing my workspace. Since "trying" to migrate to Ninjatrader some weeks ago, this is the 10th time I have lost my workspace when I go to log back in.

I have previously consulted with support and been assured this is due to not saving the workspace on exit, which is not the case...definitely not the case...not 10 times in a row...especially when I make a point of checking, double checking, and triple checking that everything is saved before exiting.

I feel that I can no longer put up with this. There surely must be others who have this problem. I cannot be unique here.

Is it because this is a demo version? Is it because I am not linked to a broker. Is it because the data comes from FXCM?.....please tell me why this is happening.

Twice now I have sent my logs to NT support and there appears to be nothing wrong with my system.

I just find this so frustrating...I have spent the best part of the weekend inputting weeks of data onto the charts, only to log back in this afternoon and its all gone (again).

Please advise if this is happening because I am using a demo...if it is, and that is the only reason, I will gladly open a Ninjatrader brokerage account.

Verify your workspace is saved in My Documents/NinjaTrader 8/workspaces/

Maybe you have some strange permission problem? Is this a shared drive? Network? Remapped? Local? Windows version?

Maybe you can email support a workspace that won't open (that is if it's in the folder).

Are you using custom indicators?

Comment

The workspace is in the folder as per your post (TDT)...how do I get the workspace back to the charts from the platform if it is missing again?

I cant find anything regards permisssions amiss.

I am using Custom Indicators.

Thanks sledge
      Attached Files

Comment

If it is there, from the control center, workspaces, then click on tdt. I'd close any other workspace that is open and underneath it.

Comment

I have trouble saving all the time.

What is the nature of what isn't being saved? Are entire workspaces being blown away? Or are your strategies or charts missing when you open a workspace?

Comment

Hello dmackay41,

If you are able to consistently reproduce the behavior, I am happy to personally contact you to observe the behavior and assist during our normal support hours.

In the meantime, I would recommend you create backups anytime you save the workspace with changes. (It's only necessary to save a workspace after you've changed it. Also, only charts that are left open will be saved.)

Below is a public link to the help guide on backup and restore.

Please send an email to platformsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com. In the email please include a link to this forum thread.
            Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

The workspace is always in Workspace, however I only have the Control Centre...no charts

Comment

I have 3 charts, the DOM and the market analyser in my 1 workspace. Whenever I make a change, I save the workspace, TDT in my case, in the Workspace area of the Control Centre. When I exit NT, I always ensure that everything is saved via the pop up box which comes on, on exit.
                When I go back into NT, 10+ times now, only the Control Centre loads up, there are no charts, MA, or DOM, and in the Workspace section of the Control Centre, my workspace TDT is still listed....that is my problem!

Comment

Hello dmackay41,

Thank you for your note.

I believe it would be best to continue with a remote support session so that one of our technicians can troubleshoot this with you step by step.

Please send an email to platformsupport[AT]ninjatrader[DOT]com with "ATTN CHRIS S" in the subject line and we will be happy to schedule a remote support session with you to further investigate.

I look forward to your reply.

Comment

Logged back in and Workspace gone yet again...email to your support being sent now.

Comment

Following support yesterday where the loss of Workspace could not be replicated, I have logged on this morning and the workspaces have gone. Advice yesterday was to go to Tools/Data Management and find Restore Workspaces.

I had loss of workspace this morning so followed the above route and restored them from there. Thank you..this now saves me precious time when it happens.

Looking at the NT logs on my PC , it looks like that NT does not Save on occasions, on exit as it left a blank workspace file when I checked (exiting the previous time), but as I say, when this happens, go to Tools/Data Management and find the previous workspace file on your PC (you will know by the file size), and restore.

The workspace will re-appear

Thank you

Comment

It isn't because you're using a demo. I have a full version and it happens to me. However, it hasn't happened to me in a very long time because long ago I learned to just Save All every time whether I've done anything or not. That works. It does mean that if you make changes you eventually decide you don't want to keep, you have to manually revert those changes before exiting.

I use workspaces to save chart layouts and strategies on those charts.. I never have a problem with the chart layouts if I don't save. But if I don't hit Save All, I won't have any strategies on the charts the next time I enter Ninjatrader. I'm not sure if that is still happening because I always hit Save All, without fail, every time and that works.

Comment

dmackay41, please send me your workspaces, log, and trace files so that I may look into what occurred.
                          • You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support
                          • Expand 'Other files' and enable 'Workspace files and UI settings'.
                          • Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 1950282 ATTN Patrick G

Also, what is the name(s) of the workspace(s) which experienced the issue as you describe it?

Comment

Originally posted by traderpards View Post
                            It isn't because you're using a demo. I have a full version and it happens to me. However, it hasn't happened to me in a very long time because long ago I learned to just Save All every time whether I've done anything or not. That works. .
                            I religiously save every time I do something, and also save every so often when I dont....I always save on exit, yet the loss of workspace on relogin has happened 12 times so far...following support last night, I have learned that the new updated version has a Data management section where you can restore a workspace form your PC NT folders...so that wont be happening again !

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
                              dmackay41, please send me your workspaces, log, and trace files so that I may look into what occurred.
                              • You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support
                              • Expand 'Other files' and enable 'Workspace files and UI settings'.
                              • Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 1950282 ATTN Patrick G

Also, what is the name(s) of the workspace(s) which experienced the issue as you describe it?
                              I had support last night from Kate and the she went through all that....now rectified by the new update where lost workspace can be restored via Data Management....thanks anyway.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by TheMarlin801, 10-13-2020, 01:40 AM
                              20 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Bidder
                              by Bidder

Started by timmbbo, 07-05-2023, 10:21 PM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes