Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prior Day OHLC Indicators not showing on SuperDOM

Hello,
    I have Prior Day OHLC indicators applied to my Static SuperDOMs (along with Current Day OHL). Multiple DOMs and multiple instances of the indicator on each.

Now, these are not drawing on the DOMs (they still appear in the Indicators list as present). This is so on multiple instances of the Prior Day OHLC indicator, and on multiple DOMs. They previously worked.

The Current Day OHL continue to function as expected.

I have created a New Static SuperDOM and freshly attached a Prior Day OHLC indicator and it does not draw on the DOM.

I cannot be certain, but believe updating to the latest release has brought this about.

Please advise,

Kind regards,
    Bruce

Hello Bruce,

Thanks for your post.

By default, an indicator added to the superdom will load 2 days of data which would be insufficient when loading the priordayOHLC after the weekend. Please verify that you have more than 2 days of data selected for the indicator when added to the superdom.

If you have more than 2 days of data selected and the PriorDayOHLC indicator does not show, please identify all of the settings so I can replicate on my end (also include the instrument, bars type and time frame and trading hours.
    Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Paul and thanks.
      Yes, that's the cause, and would explain why I'm fast heading toward the sanatorium.
      I knew they were working, but thought sometimes not.
      If price isn't trading around the Prior Day level, it is not apparent on the DOM. Only when it is, and only on a Monday may they be conspicuous by their absence, if you happen to notice their absence.

Now, just need to make the changes and apply to 36 DOMs.

As to what *good* reason there could be for an indicator that *must* have more than 2 days loaded in order for it to perform its sole function to have a Default Setting of less than that which is required I can't even begin to imagine.

The Help makes no mention of this. It would be helpful if it did, given the oddness. Help uses an EMA as an example - with a 14 Period and 50 Bars selected (i.e. Custom not Default Settings).

It is reasonable to expect an indicator to be configured such that it will carry out its function using its default settings. What we have here is an indicator that is configured to not work, by default, and no mention.

Kind regards,
      Bruce
      Last edited by brucerobinson; 08-06-2018, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Hello Bruce,

Thanks for your reply and glad that got you sorted.

I will create a feature request for the indicator that when applied will advise when there is insufficient data and will update this thread when I have that feature request number.

Comment

Hello Paul and thanks.

Yes it got me sorted out. But I shouldn't be dealing with this in the first place. The reason I am having to do so is because the indicator **does not work with its default settings**. This causes me to expend time and frustration trying to figure out what the heck is going on, and then posting to get a solution.
          And the documentation doesn't document it.

It is good fortune that your reply immediately identified the problem. But it still means I have to incur further time correcting the situation across my platform that I should not encounter.

IMHO this is not the ubiquitous 'feature request' label you attach to it, it is a BUG FIX. An indicator that does not work correctly with it's Default Settings is a bug. A request that it works correctly with its default settings is a request for a 'feature'?

re: the proposed solution, yes, if there's a reason not to make the Prior lookback 4 by Default - 4 is all it will ever need to be though. As Fat Tail's Weekly and Monthly Pivots for NT7 have done for years I guess - 'Insufficient Data, please increase the Lookback period' (perhaps your Default Pivot one does also). But if it has to work this way, then it should have been incorporated when the indicator was built/released. It's not a 'feature request'.

To my mind, however, it will still be a bit odd, that I attach an indicator, click OK to accept its Default Settings, and it immediately comes up with an error message every single time. As a User, my reaction is 'what do you mean there is an error? I've accepted your Default settings, why do you have an error by Default? Convention dictates that accepting Default settings is the 'safe option' guaranteed to work without further understanding. Now I've got to tinker with and perhaps understand what all this look-back malarkey is all about, how many days I need and why it isn't 2 for prior day. Understand about weekend needing 4 Etc. All I want to do is apply a Prior Day OHLC indicator and it give me the Prior Day OHLC, every day.

To my mind, if I attach an indicator and accept its default settings, it should work with the Default Settings. Only if I tinker outside default settings and inadvertently choose something that will cause it not to work should I then get a helping hand not to continue ahead with an unwitting screw-up, and thus get me back on the straight and narrow.

IMHO
          What it should be is Default works for Mon-Fri Prior Day, by default

What we have is Default doesn't work, sometimes i.e. never works for Monday, always works the rest of the week, yet it doesn't tell you about not working on Monday

What you propose is Default doesn't work (always, on Monday), but it tells you (always i.e. every time you apply it with Default settings).

I guess the solution is then to save it with 4 as Preset and then it will be 4 by Default and the message won't come up, but seems a long-winded and bizarre way when I can't see a use case that is ever anything but 4, if you don't mind me saying. Just my 10c

Kind regards
          Bruce
          Last edited by brucerobinson; 08-07-2018, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Hello brucerobinson,

Thanks for your post and thoughts/recommendations.

The SFT is identified as SFT-3409.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Max238, Today, 01:28 AM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post CactusMan  
            Started by giulyko00, Yesterday, 12:03 PM
            2 responses