X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error in Strategy Builder

Hello,

See Attachment..

I can't see the error... what am I missing..??

Thanks Mike Click image for larger version

Name:	Builder Error.png
Views:	316
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1092996

Hi Mykro, thanks for your note.

Can you set up a regular backtest on this? I would need to be able to test the strategy on my end as well to see if I get the same problem See here for instructions on exporting:

You may post it here or send it to platformsupport at ninjatrader.com with "ATTN ChrisL 2488944" in the body of the email.

I look forward to hearing from you.
    Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Chris,

This Strategy won't backtest.. I can't even load it into a Chart..

The same Error message that is in the Strategy Analyzer is on the Chart (see image)..

What's going on is new... This Error message doesn't make sense.. I've been building Strategies exactly like this since I started with Ninjatrader 8, never had a problem..' Till now..

Click image for larger version  Name:	Error.jpg Views:	0 Size:	225.7 KB ID:	1093098
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Inputs and Variables.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.8 KB ID:	1093097
      Last edited by Mykro; 04-05-2020, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Hello Mykro,

The error is mentioning that an EMA is being added with a period of 0.

Please check the initiators you are using in Conditions and Actions. Do these happen to have a value of 0 applied for the Period property?

To identify where the error is thrown, you can create a copy of the strategy and then sequentially remove parts of your logic.Testing after each removal will point you to the section which is causing the error. You can copy your strategy from the Welcome page of the Strategy Builder, placing your mouse over your strategy in the selector, and then selecting Save As.

With the copy saved, you can remove sections of logic from Conditions and Actions and then re-test that strategy to see where the error gets thrown.

If you are left with the line condition and action block that throws this error but it is not clear how the error gets thrown, please attach a screenshot of that condition here for our comment.

I look forward to assisting.
        JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jim,

There is no EMA with a period of 0... As you can see from prior images I have an EMA of 17 & a EMA of 34...
          On a hunch.. I changed the "Threshold" input from Default 0, Min. 0, to Default 0.01, and Min.(no value) with "Type" as Double... I changed no other values.
          The Strategy now loads into the chart.. Strategies that I have built in the past that either had a "Threshold" or "Offset" value I would always use a Default of 0, and a Min. of 0, and then run Strategy Analyzer to determine the number to use... Ninjatrader developers should to look into this...

Thanks Michael

Click image for larger version  Name:	Changed Threshold...jpg Views:	0 Size:	201.0 KB ID:	1093202
          Last edited by Mykro; 04-06-2020, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Hello Myrko,

The User Defined Inputs page does not demonstrate that your strategy is not trying to add an EMA with a Period of 0. As such, the images you have provided do not prove that your strategy is not trying to add an EMA indicator with a period of 0. The User Defined Inputs page only shows variables you have added to the strategy.

You will need to check Conditions and Actions and possibly Stops and Targets if you tried to reference an EMA indicator that has a Period of 0. Indicator values should not be references in Stops and Targets.

I still recommend to check Conditions and Actions and to remove sections from a copy of the strategy so you can see where exactly the error is getting thrown from.

If you think something needs further investigation from there, you can attach a screenshot of the condition that is throwing the error, and we can comment further. We would then be able to identify if it is something that would need to be addressed on the platform end.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
            JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
            11 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post xiinteractive  
            Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
            1 response
            0 likes