Multiple instances of Indicator, each on different timeframe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple instances of Indicator, each on different timeframe

In NT7 I was able to add for example, three instances of an EMA, each sourcing data from a different timeframe. e.g. 26bar from 5min, 26bar from 15min and 26bar from 60min.

In NT8 I don't seem to be able to do that except by either ending up with three panels or maybe by adding three dataseries to the same panel then perhaps somehow making all but one of them invisible. I assume there is a more elegant way, closer to how easily it was done in NT7.

I was one 5min chart with three EMA plots; each using a different time-frame. How do i do that in NT8?

Hello vlc,

The behavior in NinjaTrader 8 would be the same as NinjaTrader 7.

For both, you would need to add the data series to the chart, and then select this series as the Input Series for the indicator.

Or (again with both NT7 and NT8) you can add the series to the script directly with AddDataSeries() (so you don't have to add the data series to the chart).
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I'm quite certain in NT7, the second time I add the indicator, it allows me to select a source (on the fly as I'm defining the indicator) and time series without plotting that second series in any panel.

In any case, how then do I make the second data-series hidden / not-visible?
      Last edited by vlc; 08-14-2018, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Hello vlc,

I've not seen this behavior with NinjaTrader 7.

Below is a link to a video that demonstrates how to set the input series for an indicator. Only the series added to the chart will be listed as an available data series.

Can you provide a video that demonstrates this is not the case?

You can use jing from techsmith to record short videos for free. Below is a public link to their 3rd party site.
        TechSmith Capture is a simple, free way to create basic screenshots and screen recordings and share them with others.

In NinjaTrader 7 and NinjaTrader 8 to hide the bars set the color of the candle outline, color for down bars, color for up bars, and wick to transparent.
        Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by vlc View Post
          In NT7 I was able to add for example, three instances of an EMA, each sourcing data from a different timeframe. e.g. 26bar from 5min, 26bar from 15min and 26bar from 60min.

In NT8 I don't seem to be able to do that except by either ending up with three panels or maybe by adding three dataseries to the same panel then perhaps somehow making all but one of them invisible. I assume there is a more elegant way, closer to how easily it was done in NT7.

I was one 5min chart with three EMA plots; each using a different time-frame. How do i do that in NT8?
          You can easily accomplish this by placing 3 EMAs on a 5-min chart using time frame ratio multiples of the smallest time frame as follows:

EMA(26), EMA(26*3), and EMA(26*12) all plotted on the 5 minutes chart will give very close and almost the same results if you have enough data loaded.

Cheers!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by aligator; 08-15-2018, 09:56 AM.

Comment

just add a 2nd and third dataseries to the chart (in the same panel) and make it transparent, then apply the indicators to it
            works for NT7 and 8

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post jaybedreamin  
            Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
            6 responses
            0 likes