Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Programmatically trading stocks that do not show up in Instruments Search window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programmatically trading stocks that do not show up in Instruments Search window

Hello,

Some of the stocks do not show up in the Instruments Search window when looked up.

But I would like to trade them programmatically as I already know those stock symbols.
    Is this possible? Can I place orders for them programatically using NinjaTrader?

Am connecting to Interactive Brokers API and will be trading my accounts with them.

Thanks.

Hello RuthB,

Thanks for your post.

NinjaTrader does not have every symbol configured by default, but you are free to add new instruments and use them on the platform. New instruments can be added in the Tools > Instruments menu of the Control Center, and then selecting add. You can reference our documentation on Instrument definitions below. I also suggest referencing the definitions of existing symbols when adding your new symbols.

Editing Instruments - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...nstruments.htm

Once the symbol is added, test creating a chart, and once you confirm the symbol is working, you can use it like other symbols and trade with it using NinjaScript.

We look forward to assisting.
    JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Jim.

I want to import a lot of stock symbols and found 'Importing a List of Stock Symbols' steps in the reference you included very useful.

However, for some of these stocks, I am not sure which exchange(NYSE/NASDAQ) they trade on.

So, if I have incorrect exchange chosen while importing the stocks per 'Importing a List of Stock Symbols', would it affect my programmatic trading through Ninja Trader?
      All my programmatically submitted orders will go through Interactive Brokers where my trading accounts are present.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi RuthB,
        Did you already try the following?
        Right click on the individual instrument in IB -> Financial Instrument Info -> Description.
        This should bring up the primary exchange.
        NT-Roland

Comment

Thanks, Roland. Did not know that. Just tried and it did work.

However, I may need to bring in 100s of stock symbols into NT. So, some way of bulk checking or an automatic way of checking or orders handling for these symbols would help.

Comment

NT is able to import stock lists:

TWS watchlists can be exported, each instrument also lists the exchange in the output file.

Comment

Thanks, MojoJojo. Let me check it out.

Comment

can my program written applied to trade all stocks in a list rather than only single stock for the program that I enabled one by one?

Comment

Hello stantenlee,

You could apply the strategy to a list of instruments through the Strategies tab of the Control Center.

Running Strategies from the Strategies tab - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...t_strateg2.htm

You can also program the symbols into the strategy itself and create a multi time frame strategy.

Multi Time Frame and Instruments - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...nstruments.htm

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jim View Post
                    Hello stantenlee,

You could apply the strategy to a list of instruments through the Strategies tab of the Control Center.

Running Strategies from the Strategies tab - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...t_strateg2.htm

You can also program the symbols into the strategy itself and create a multi time frame strategy.

Multi Time Frame and Instruments - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...nstruments.htm
                    Hi Jim,

what i mean is that I can make the lists of instrument to something like watchlist, so my program can apply to that watchlist by just enabling once ; also which is the control center?the part with "NEW,""TOOS","WORKSPACES", that page is control center?

Comment

Hello stantenlee,

Yes, the main window with the New and Tools Menu is the Control Center.

You can make an instrument list in the Control Center's Tools > Instrument List menu.

That Instrument list can then be used to apply a strategy again a group of instruments when you add the strategy through the Strategies tab of the Control Center.

To enable them all at once, highlight all strategies in the strategies tab (Ctrl + A on your keyboard) then right-0click and select Enable.

Similarly, you can add a list of instruments to a Market Analyzer window for a watchlist/scanner.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by RubenCazorla, 08-30-2022, 06:36 AM
                      3 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post PaulMohn  
                      Started by f.saeidi, Yesterday, 12:14 PM
                      9 responses
                      0 likes