Extended Hours trading with TD Ameritrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extended Hours trading with TD Ameritrade

The TIF drop down menu in ChartTrader does not show an option for extended hours trading. How do I enable this option?

Also if I place an extended hours order through the TOS platform and edit that order on the NT chart, the order is converted from being EXT (Extended hours) to a DAY order, and hence will not execute in the extended hours period. T
    Last edited by boreland; 04-17-2020, 05:32 AM.

A TIF of 'extended trading hours' is effectively GTC since ETH does not constrict any hours that the market is open. I would recommend submitting your orders as TIF=GTC.

If this is not a solution, can you elaborate further on what the TIF = EXT accomplishes in ThinkorSwim that is different than GTC?

Comment

I stayed away from this platform since the mid 2000s because of issues like this. Fidelity and similar brokers like TD Ameritrade have an extended hours order type, which can only be used during this period. If you use the EXT order type within TOS during normal market hours then they get rejected. GTC is a day order and does not work during extended hours.

Comment

In NinjaTrader, what you've just stated is incorrect. The definition of 'GTC' is 'Good unTil Cancelled'. This means that the order should persist indefinitely until filled or cancelled. Read more about TIF definitions here:

Comment

The proof is in the pudding as they say. I tested it premarket and the GTC order is placed as a day order. Generally seeking a GTC would only be executed during normal hours and not the extended hours period. Please test for yourselves and get back to me on this.

Comment

After further research, it appears this is a unique limitation of TD Ameritrade. What you're currently experiencing is expected.

With that said, I've submitted a feature request to the Development Team to add in TD Ameritrade's unique TIF options so that ToS and NinjaTrader have the same capabilities. The internal tracking number for your feature request is SFT-4625. Please reference this internal tracking number when contacting Platform Support if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find a description of the new feature in the release notes:

Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 04-28-2020, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Hi Patrick: One of the reasons I don't use NT for placing trades on my TD account is the lack of support for the EXT trade type. Is it correct to let you know on this Forum, that I "Vote" for this function to be added, or do I need to personally contact Platform Support, referencing SFT-4625. Thanks.

Comment

MaxPower3000, yep - I'll add your vote.

Comment

Are there any update for this issue: Cannot trade in EXT hours on TDA?

Comment

bibofeng, SFT-4625 has not yet been implemented. When a feature request is implemented, you'll find a description of the new feature in the release notes:

Comment

Patrick G Thanks for your info. Is it possible to use NT7 to trade at EXT hours?

Comment

NinjaTrader 7 and TD Ameritrade are not compatible. This requirement/limitation is unique to TD Ameritrade, so if you used a different supported stock brokerage you could likely trade in the window that TD Ameritrade restricts with the EXT TIF. Visit the link below to learn more about our supported brokers:

Comment

I found an old post back to 2008 ( https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...ing#post193169 ).

Somebody requested the same function to trade in EXT hours on TDA. 12 Years passed, NT still can not solve this issue. I really care when this issue can be fixed.

Thanks,

Comment

PatrickG, some additional info. regarding TDAmeritrade's order types: (All hours are Pacific Time)

DAY - DAY orders, including DAY stop loss orders, are valid for the Regular Session, and expire each day at 1:05:45 PM. DAY orders may be entered for the current day during the Regular Session, from 6:30 AM until 1:00 PM (Monday - Friday). DAY orders entered after 1:00 PM will be sent to the marketplace for execution during the next business day's Regular Session.

GTC - Good Till Canceled orders, including GTC stop loss orders, are continuous DAY orders, valid for the Regular Session only, and do not expire for 6 months, unless earlier filled or cancelled. Specified date expirations expire at 1:05:45 PM on the specified date. GTC (Day) orders are valid from 6:30 AM until 1:00 PM (Monday - Friday).

AM - AM orders are valid for the Pre-Market AM session during which the order was entered, and expire at the end of that AM session. Pre-Market AM session orders are valid beginning at 1:00 AM and expire at 6:35:45 AM. AM orders may be entered from 1:00 AM until 5:00 PM (Monday - Friday). AM orders entered after the AM session will be active during the next AM session. Stop orders are not accepted during extended hours sessions. Stop orders with AM type selected will be rejected. For OTC (Over-The-Counter) stocks, orders with AM (extended hours) type selected will be rejected. For OTC stocks, only orders for regular session execution will be accepted.

PM - PM orders are valid for the Post-Market PM session in which the order was entered, and expire at the end of that PM session. Post-Market PM session orders are valid beginning at 1:02 PM and expire at 5:05:45 PM. PM orders may be entered from 1:00 AM until 5:00 PM (Monday - Friday). PM orders entered after the PM session will be active during the next PM session. Stop orders are not accepted during extended hours sessions. Stop orders with PM type selected will be rejected. For OTC (Over-The-Counter) stocks, orders with PM (extended hours) type selected will be rejected. For OTC stocks, only orders for regular session execution will be accepted.

EXT - EXT (DAY + Extended) orders are valid for either the Pre-Market AM, Regular Session, or Post-Market PM session, and expire at 5:00 PM each day. EXT (DAY + EXT) orders may be entered from 9:00 PM to 3:59:59 AM for execution beginning at 1:00 AM until expiration at 5:00 PM that day (9:00 PM Sunday - 5:00 PM Friday). Stop orders are not accepted during extended hours sessions. Stop orders with EXT type selected will be rejected. For OTC (Over-The-Counter) stocks, orders with EXT (extended hours) type selected will be rejected. For OTC stocks, only orders for regular session execution will be accepted.

GTC_EXT - Good Till Canceled Extended orders are continuous orders, valid for Pre-Market AM, Regular Session, and Post-Market PM sessions, and do not expire for up to 6 months, unless earlier filled or cancelled. Specified date expirations expire at 5:00 PM on the specified date. GTC_EXT orders are valid from 1:00 AM until 5:00 PM (Monday - Friday). Stop orders are not accepted during extended hours sessions. Stop orders with GTC_EXT type selected will be rejected. For OTC (Over-The-Counter) stocks, orders with GTC_EXT (extended hours) type selected will be rejected. For OTC stocks, only orders for regular session execution will be accepted.

EXTO - Extended Hours Overnight orders are 24-hour continuous orders, valid for all sessions within one trading day, and expire at 5:05:45 PM each day. (To enable, the account must be upgraded for Advanced Features via Client Services > General, after TDA website login.) EXTO orders may be entered from Sunday 5:00 PM until Friday 5:00 PM, and are active immediately. Trades entered after 5:00 PM are considered the next trading day. Stop orders are not accepted during extended hours sessions. Stop orders with EXTO type selected will be rejected. For OTC (Over-The-Counter) stocks, orders with EXTO (extended hours) type selected will be rejected. For OTC stocks, only orders for regular session execution will be accepted.

GTC_EXTO - Good Till Canceled Extended Hours Overnight orders are 24-hour continuous orders, valid for all sessions, and do not expire for up to 6 months, unless earlier filled or cancelled. (To enable, the account must be upgraded for Advanced Features via Client Services > General, after TDA website login.) GTC_EXTO orders may be entered from Sunday 5:00 PM until Friday 5:00 PM, and are active immediately. Trades entered after 5:00 PM are considered the next trading day. Specified date expirations expire at 5:00 PM on the specified date. Stop orders are not accepted during extended hours sessions. Stop orders with GTC_EXTO type selected will be rejected. For OTC (Over-The-Counter) stocks, orders with GTC_EXTO (extended hours) type selected will be rejected. For OTC stocks, only orders for regular session execution will be accepted.

If anyone is aware of changes to these order type specifications, please post.
                            Last edited by Lancer; 11-09-2022, 02:16 PM.

Comment

@NinjaTrader_PatrickG,

Hi Patrick, Is it possible to code custom function/method via NT8 to access TDA Account? For example, create a custom function to replace/override the myAcount.CreateOrder method. If so, are there any sample codes? I know the TDA-API is allowed to code and send custom orders.

Thanks

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by funk10101, Yesterday, 09:43 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                              Started by TheWhiteDragon, 01-21-2019, 12:44 PM
                              5 responses
                              0 likes