manually placed volume profile (drawing tool) is not selectable on a chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

manually placed volume profile (drawing tool) is not selectable on a chart

I cannot select and modify manually placed volume profile (drawing tool) if it completely overlaps with volume profile indicator:

This is the setup:
    - Order Flow Volume Profile (Indicator)
    - Allow the selection or drag/drop - unchecked
    - Order Flow Volume Profile (drawing tool) - overlapping Indicator -> cannot be selected
    - Order Flow Volume Profile (drawing tool) - partially overlapping Indicator -> can be selected, moved, and resized

I believed it is Z-Order problem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-04-19 17_34_42-Chart - HAL 3 Minute.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	1095364

Attached Files

You're correct that this is related to Z-order. If the Order Flow Volume Profile indicator is 'higher' than the Order Flow Volume Profile drawing tool and also completely overlays the drawing tool, I would not expect the drawing tool to be able to be selected unless the Z-order is changed so that the drawing tool is now 'higher' than the indicator.

The easiest way to 'fix' this is to place the Order Flow Volume Profile indicator in a 'lower' Z-order level than the drawing tool.

Comment

ok, but how to do that???

Comment

I checked both indicator and drawing tool, there is no Z-Order or similar setting...

Comment

Sorry about that - I incorrectly assumed since you had mentioned Z order that you were familiar with how to adjust the Z order of objects on your chart. To adjust the z-order of an object. follow these steps:
          1. Select the chart object by left mouse clicking on it
          2. Hold down the "Shift" key on your keyboard and roll the mouse scroll wheel up or down to change the z-order of the object. As you scroll, the object's z-order will be displayed near your mouse cursor.
          Here is a link with more information about Z order:

Comment

here is the thing - I cannot select chart object (volume profile drawing tool) because it is not selectable... Indicator is not selectable because Allow the selection or drag/drop is unchecked.

Comment

I believe it is a bug in Order Flow Volume Profile (drawing tool). Using the same setup, I can select any other drawing tool with no problem except volume profile.

Comment

I suggest moving the Order Flow Volume Profile indicator's Z order below the drawing object. This works on my end:The behavior is different from other drawing objects purposefully. You'll notice that the Order Flow Volume Profile indicator does not plot on top of other objects or the data series when added. Similarly, the Order Flow Volume Profile drawing tool is also meant to go 'behind' other objects by default.

Comment

Patrick, thank you for the video! Yes, that method work well, but what to do if "Allow the selection or drag/drop" setting in a chart settings is unchecked? I do not want chart indicators to be selectable.

Comment

You're correct, with this setting disabled, you've purposefully disabled the ability to select the data series or indicators with a left click. You'll need to leave this enabled if you wish to adjust the Z-order of your chart.

Comment

is it possible to file it as a bug? or at least to consider this functionality? I bet it is an easy fix in a source code (just set ZOrder higher). It seems logical to have all drawing tools (including VP) to be selected at all times including when "Allow the selection or drag/drop" is unchecked.

Comment

This is not a bug. Disabling 'Allow the selection or drag/drop of chart series' is working exactly as intended and the Order Flow tools are being placed in the expected Z-orders by default.

With that said, I'll submit a feature request regarding the specific behavior you desire. The internal tracking number for your feature request is SFT-4784. Please reference this internal tracking number when contacting Platform Support if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find a description of the new feature in the release notes:
                        Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 04-30-2020, 03:11 PM.

Comment

thank you! Really appreciate it! I believe that default ZOrder on OFVP drawing tool is wrong. Let's see what devs say.

Comment

Is it already 8.0.25.0 but ZOrder on OFVP drawing tool is still wrong... Is there any update on the issue?

Comment

dpolyakov, there is nothing 'wrong' with the Order Flow Volume Profile indicator or drawing object as discussed in this topic. Could you elaborate on what you're experiencing in relation to what has been discussed in this topic?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by chbruno, 04-24-2024, 04:10 PM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post chbruno
                              by chbruno

Started by TraderG23, 12-08-2023, 07:56 AM
                              10 responses
                              1 like