Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why can't I enable a strategy ?

Hi,
    trying to follow a tutorial, where a strategy is being enabled. But I can't enable any of the strategies I want to add to a chart.
    Why ?

Regards,
    Frank

Attached Files

Hello Frank1000,

You will need to be connected to a data feed that is receiving real-time data.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

ah ok thx )
      Also the case if I only want to backtest ?
      I'm selecting F-Dax, which as far as I know is a real-time data feed.

Comment

Hello Frank1000,

For backtesting the Strategy Analyzer you will need a source of historical data.

Comment

ok thank you. I didn't see how to set the data source to historical data yet. I have selectet "Backtest" in the Strategy Analyzer, but that does not yet enable me to enable the strategy.
          Still not sure how to visualize a strategy on a chart.

Attached Files

Comment

Hello Frank1000,

When running a backtest in the Strategy Analyzer this does not get enabled. Instead it runs through the backtest using historical data to test the scripts coded logic and gives you results.

The Strategy Analyzer will automatically use historical data. You will need to be connected to a data provider that provides historical data or have the historical data imported.
            https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...y_provider.htm
            https://ninjatrader.com/support/help.../importing.htm

On a chart, to enable a strategy that will run in real-time, you will need to be connected to a brokerage connection or data feed connection that is receiving real-time data.

When real-time data is being received on a chart and new bars are appearing, the strategy can be enabled.

The Simulated Data Feed provides real-time fake self generated data that is not real market data that you can use for practice.
            When connected to this connection you would be able to enabled a strategy, but this would not be using real market data.

Playing back a recording of Market Replay would also be real-time and allow the strategy to be enabled.

Last edited by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB; 04-21-2020, 07:08 AM.

Comment

ok thank you for details, but I can't see how I would use historical data for the F-Dax to backtest my strategy. Also, I played around with the given info, but was not yet able to enable a strategy. Can you connect with me on AnyDesk and show me how ? Writing back and forth is taking long time for a little thing.
              Is there a live IRC or chat of community members available as well ?

Comment

Hello Frank1000,

The historical data will have open, high, low, and close values for each bar.

The code of the strategy will go through each bar and allow you to use that information to place buy or sell orders. As it uses the historical data to place these orders these orders will be historical orders that are not placed to an account. When the data is finished processing the performance of the historical orders placed with the historical data will be shown in the Strategy Analyzer results.

Below is a link to a video that demonstrates how to connect to a data provider or brokerage connection.

Below is a link to a video that demonstrates how to run a backtest in the Strategy Analyzer.

And below is a link to a video that demonstrates how to enable a strategy when connected to a real-time data feed.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCyt...utu.be&t=1h25s

Who are you connected for real-time data to enable a strategy in real-time?
                (This is shown with a green dot in the connections menu of the Control Center.)

Have you imported historical data for the FDAX 06-20 from file for backtesting in the Strategy Analyzer or are you obtaining this from a connected broker or data feed?

To schedule a call send an email platformsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com.

Unfortunately, we do not have a live chat available.

Comment

Thank you Chelsea,
                  right now I have no green dot in the control center, but when I go on Connections, it seems that I can disable connections. Does it mean that connections are running ?
                  I wanted to run strategy testing on historical data and on live-data.
                  Do I need a CQG connection for that ? Seems I don't have one yet.
                  Do I need to download historic data b4 testing, or is it not pulling the historic data as needed from the server ?

I watched the video here https://youtu.be/HCyt90GAs9k?t=3690, but still not able to enable a strategy for showing on chart (historical in the past and current live in the same chart if possible)

Attached Files

Comment

Hello Frank1000,

If there are no connections with a green dot, then no, no connections are connected (no connections are running).

Is the NinjaTrader Continuum (Demo) connection a valid connection? NinjaTrader Continuum demos are valid 14-days from when the username and password received.

To get historical data from a historical data server, you will need to be connected to a connection that provides the historical data. This means a valid connection will need a green dot to get data.

You will not be able to enabled a NinjaScript Strategy unless you connected to a broker or data provider (such as a subscription to Kinetick or IQFeed) that provides real-time data for the instrument you are trying to trade.

Below is a link to the NinjaTrader 8 help guide on Data by provider which shows the supported connection technologies and the types of data these connections support.

Also here is a link to a list of the currently supported brokers with the NinjaTrader Platform.
                    NinjaTrader provides online access to the futures, forex and equities markets through online brokers including NinjaTrader Brokerage.

Last, here is a link to our Connections Guide which will have instructions to setup the provider in NinjaTrader (Click View More and scroll down).

In the Strategy Builder 301 video, notice the Control Center is showing a green dot on the lower left corner. This is because in the video NinjaTrader is connected to a data feed to provide real-time and historical data necessary for charts. Because NinjaTrader is connected to a real-time data feed (Kinetick in this case) the strategy is able to be enabled.

Comment

Good afternoon,
                      I am working on a strategy and when compiling there is no error message, once it is loaded and I attempt enable it will not allow the enable in playback connection.

Comment

Hello horizonmarine,

Thanks for your note.

If you cannot enable a strategy on a chart window then this is likely due to an error being thrown by the strategy when it is enabled.

Do you see any error messages pop up?

Are there any error messages in the Log tab of the Control Center?

If so, please tell me exactly what the error messages report so that I may accurately assist.

I look forward to assisting further.
                        Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

The correct answer is you need to change your account in strategy to playback 101 ... then you can enable it

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by fitspressoburnfat, Today, 04:25 AM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post fitspressoburnfat  
                          Started by Skifree, Today, 03:41 AM
                          1 response
                          0 likes
                          Last Post Skifree