Error Message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error Message

I am still having issue with my NT8 freezing several times a day. I am not getting any errors in my log tab. I cant seem to figure it out. This has been happening since I bought this new computer. I did receive this error message today. Can you let me know what it means and how I can fix it.

Hello suchy37,

May I confirm you are using 8.0.21.1? (Help > About)

Freezing often occurs when using 3rd party addons.

Below is a link to a forum post on reducing the load on the CPU to improve performance .
    Hello All, I am using NT8 8.0.17.2. My workspace has been essentially static for more then six months, meaning no new indicators or growth in windows open or

Also, below is a link to a forum post on starting without saved workspace and test the performance on a new chart with no addons.

The error shown is about write locking. This could be from a script that is attempting to write to a file that is locked. (Such as attempting to write to a file from multiple scripts or when closing and opening in different threads), or could be an issue with threading and not using Dispatcher.InvokeAsync() for accessing other threads such as the UI thread.

Is this a script that you have written you are wanting assistance with the code?
    If not, I would recommend isolating the script in a new workspace to identify which script is causing the error and then report the error to the vendor or author that distributes the script.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I am not sure what is causing it. It has probably froze around 15 to 20 times today. I started NT8 around 7am CST today. Since then it has been constantly freezing on me. This only happened since I installed everything onto my new computer. I am using the same indicators that I always have. On my last computer I had zero freezing issues with all the same indicators on the charts. I have using these for awhile now. This computer is a upgrade from my last one. It should have no issue running NT8. Just locked up again as I am typing this message.

I am running the charts without any addons on them right now. Would it help for me to unistall NT8 and not use an backup to import all my addons into the system? I can't seem to pinpoint what indicator is causing the problem. This has been going on for about 3 weeks now and I have extremely frustrated. I cant seem to figure it out. I do make sure to load a minimum amount of days. I went through your link about performance.

Comment

Hello suchy37,

Likely a 3rd party addon is causing the freezing. Any computer can freeze if the CPU is overloaded, which can be caused by 3rd party addons.

Are you able to reproduce the behavior with all workspaces closed on a new chart with no 3rd party addons (such as indicators or bar types) applied?

Comment

I have my charts open right now without any 3rd party addons. I will let it run and see if it does it.

Comment

If it doesn't freeze without any 3rd party addons included. Would it help to uninstall and reinstall NT8 and then import my addons without importing them from a backup file? Or just add one indicator at a time and wait for one of them to make NT8 freeze after adding it?

Comment

Hello suchy37,

Uninstalling and re-installing would not change the code in the indicators that is causing the issue.

You can choose to not use the indicators that are causing high CPU resources..

Rebuilding the workspace would be how to isolate and find which indicator is causing the behavior so that the behavior can be reported to the vendor or developer so they can investigate and correct the code.

You can choose to uninstall and reinstall NinjaTrader if you would like. However, if the same indicators are used with the same parameters I would expect the same behavior as this how the scripts are programmed.

Comment

I will rebuild the workspace. Because it is not having any issue when the chart has no 3rd party addons on it. When you say to rebuild the workspace. Do you mean add one indicator at a time until I have an issue. Or add the indicators I use from one 3rd party and see if it causes the issue. If it doesn't cause an issue then add the other indicators from the next 3rd party? Is that correct? Or just add one indicator at a time and then let it run to see what happens and then continue to add if I do not have any issues?

Comment

Also, I am not getting errors in my log file anymore either. I have resolved all of those issues. So that ismaking it more difficult to figure out which one indicator is causing the issue because I am not getting any error messages to help me pinpoint the issue. I will wait for your response. Thanks for the help. I am hoping to get this resolved soon.

Comment

Hello suchy37,

When rebuilding (or recreating) the workspace, I generally recommend one at a time, trying to reproduce with similar to conditions to when the error was first appearing.

You can choose to add multiple at a time, this may be quicker but more complex. You would need to keep a close eye on when the behavior starts to occur and then one by one go through the last group a second time to figure out the specific script.

Comment

Is there any specific processors or computers that are not compatible with NT8 which could cause my computer to crash. I bought a Skytech gaming computer with an AMD processor. I am only using indicators from one 3rd party addon and it froze. They say they can't find anything that could cause my NT8 to freeze and I am the only one having the issue. Any ideas?

Comment

Hello suchy37,

NinjaTrader is designed to work with Windows 8 or later on a native PC (without virtualization/emulation software).

Below is a link to a forum post on performance.
                        https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...35#post1055235

An indicator that is CPU intensive can cause NinjaTrader to freeze. An indicator using Dispatcher.Invoke() without using Dispatcher.InvokeAsync() would guarantee a freeze and possible crash.

Can you reproduce this behavior with any indicators provided by NinjaTrader without using any 3rd party indicators?

When you ask, 'am I the only one having the issue?', no.

I have linked the forum post on performance because this is a common question for users that are running 3rd party addons especially during high market volatility. The forum post was written to address this question for another community member.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by pechtri, 06-22-2023, 02:31 AM
                        10 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post Leeroy_Jenkins  
                        Started by judysamnt7, 03-13-2023, 09:11 AM
                        4 responses
                        0 likes