Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding instruments from Kinetick Free-EOD

Hello,

I am trying to manually add an instrument (any) from Kinetick Free-EOD feed without success.
    For the sake of discussion(and replication), let's say this instrument is described on Kineticks site as:

UTY.X P HLX UTILITY NASDAQ INDEX

The instrument is "added" (but "Apply" button gets greyed) but the chart loads no data. Interestingly, another instrument with the same name and details but as "Stock" gets added by NT to the instruments.

I found one post at NT7's forum recommending to enter the full Symbol name as the "Master instrument". However, NT8 would not allow this, saying that symbols like "dot" are not allowed in master instrument's names.

Would greatly appreciate detailed steps to add extra instruments.

What version of NinjaTrader 8 are you using? Please provide the entire version number. This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 8.0.X.0)

The Kinetick EOD feed only provides daily historical data. Please clarify - what interval are you loading for this instrument? Is it daily? Or is it intraday like 5 minute, 4 renko, 150 tick, etc.?

Could you go into further detail about how you created this custom instrument? Please be as specific and detailed as possible.

Can you provide a screenshot of the custom instrument you've created? I need to be able to see all general, exchange, and mapping information. This may require more than one screenshot.. Here is an example of what I'd like to see (using ^TICK as an example):

• To send a screenshot with Windows 7 or newer I would recommend using Window's Snipping Tool.
    • Click here for instructions
    • Alternatively to send a screenshot press Alt + PRINT SCREEN to take a screenshot of the selected window. Then go to Start--> Accessories--> Paint, and press CTRL + V to paste the image. Lastly, save as a jpeg file and send the file as an attachment.
    • Click here for detailed instruction

Comment

Patrick,

It is NT 8.0.15.1 64-bit, and of course I am trying to download Daily bars.

Attached are screenshots demonstrating instruments set-up and mapping.
      Attached Files

Comment

I was able to successfully map and pull daily data for both:
        • UTY.X = PHLX UTILITY
        • XUTY.X = PHLX UTILITY SECTOR TR IND

Using the Kinetick EOD connection.

I believe the root issue is not your instrument configuration but how you're selecting it for charting:
        Originally posted by zheka View Post
        The instrument is "added" (but "Apply" button gets greyed) but the chart loads no data. Interestingly, another instrument with the same name and details but as "Stock" gets added by NT to the instruments.
        From this statement, it sounds as if you've tried to chart the instrument by typing it letter-for-letter directly into a chart. I would expect that, if NinjaTrader did not have an equity defined with those letters, it would create a new stock instrument in your database.

Index instruments have a '^' prior to the instrument name, Observe my chart:

If you're manually typing in the instrument to select it, you'll need to include the '^' before PHLX (or whatever you picked for the master instrument name - looks like 'UTY' in your screenshot). So, the complete instrument name needed would be '^PHLX'.

The alternative to manually typing in the instrument would be to select it from the instrument selector window (magnifying glass next to instrument drop down lists):

Comment

Yes, you are correct!

I indeed have been just typing in the name I just created.

Selecting it via "search"/ explicitely did the trick. Thank you!

NT should be giving a warning if an instrument is not found in the database, though.

Comment

That's a good idea. I'll submit a feature request for a pop-up message to appear when an instrument isn't recognized from the database and to ask whether or not the user would like a stock instrument created. The internal tracking number for your feature request is SFT-3461. Please reference this internal tracking number if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find it in the release notes:

Just to provide some context as to why this occurs in the first place, this is actually a really handy way to quickly chart stocks which aren't in the database - NinjaTrader automatically creates the instrument and usually it just works without further manual configuration.
            Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 08-22-2018, 01:57 PM.

Comment

By the way, is it possible to import an instruments list besides Stocks?

Comment

It is not possible to import an instrument list which is not stocks.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
                2 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post algospoke  
                Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
                3 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred