Indicators on NT 8 give different results than NT 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indicators on NT 8 give different results than NT 7

I have noticed that indicators that display on NT 7 can give (and usually do ) give different results than NT 8. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. I have a volume based indicator that when ported over to 8 that gives results that are less accurate than when they appear on 7. Is there a reason for this and can it be corrected?

Hello Gregory,

Thank you for your note.

There are a couple differences between NT7 and NT8 which could cause this, the first being that NT8’s Daily Bars are ETH (NT7 were RTH) and another is slightly different rounding in NT8 vs NT7.

Is your indicator using daily bars?

I look forward to your reply.
    Alan P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_AlanP View Post
      There are a couple differences between NT7 and NT8 which could cause this, the first being that NT8’s Daily Bars are ETH (NT7 were RTH)
      This sounds confusing to me.
      Could you explain this a little more?
      Isn't this controlled by the session template?

I mean, on NT7, for all futures instruments with Session Template <Use instrument settings>, it would seem to me that all the bars on a 1-Day chart are (by definition) ETH bars, right?

Comment

Hello bltdavid,

You are correct, my apologies.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Gregory, would you be able to provide more information about which indicator you are referring to which is giving different outputs?

I look forward to your reply.

Comment

I was speaking more about intra day tick charts

Comment

Hello Gregory Arkadin,

Since these charts would be built using tick data, its expected you could expect a differences. You could see the following link on Understanding Why a Chart can Look Different,

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by bltdavid View Post
              This sounds confusing to me.
              Could you explain this a little more?
              Isn't this controlled by the session template?

I mean, on NT7, for all futures instruments with Session Template <Use instrument settings>, it would seem to me that all the bars on a 1-Day chart are (by definition) ETH bars, right?
              This is not correct. The session template <Use instrument settings> does not have any impact on a daily chart int NT7.

Therefore all the bars on a 1-day chart are NOT always ETH bars, when this template is used. The bars on a 1-day chart maybe ETH bars, RTH bars or 1440 min bars. This does not depend on the session template selected, but it entirely depends on the data supplier to which NT7 is connected.

For example, with the same session template <instrument settings> you will get

- ETH daily bars with a data feed from Kinetick (close = settlement)
              - RTH daily bars with a data feed from CQG (close = regular close)
              - 1440 min bars with a data feed from Interactive Brokers (close = last traded price of the day)

Comment

Hello Harry,

Your clarification is appreciated.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
                  This does not depend on the session template selected, but it entirely depends on the data supplier to which NT7 is connected.

For example, with the same session template <instrument settings> you will get

- ETH daily bars with a data feed from Kinetick (close = settlement)
                  - RTH daily bars with a data feed from CQG (close = regular close)
                  - 1440 min bars with a data feed from Interactive Brokers (close = last traded price of the day)
                  Thanks Harry, very interesting.

How does one determine what kind of 'close' their data supplier is supplying?

Is this listed somewhere?
                  Is there some kind NinjaScript-based 'test' one can apply?

For ex, I have Rithmic, how does figure out what kind daily bars (ETH, RTH, or 1440min) Rithmic is providing their daily charts?

Comment

Originally posted by bltdavid View Post
                    Thanks Harry, very interesting.

How does one determine what kind of 'close' their data supplier is supplying?

Is this listed somewhere?
                    Is there some kind NinjaScript-based 'test' one can apply?

For ex, I have Rithmic, how does figure out what kind daily bars (ETH, RTH, or 1440min) Rithmic is providing their daily charts?
                    Open a daily chart, a 1440-min chart with an ETH trading hours template and a 1440 min chart with a RTH trading hours template side by side. Compare the price bars.

Also go to the CME website, look for yesterday's open, high, low and settlement prices for ES 09-18 or any other futures contract. Compare those prices to yesterday's daily bar, and you will know what it is.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by BarzTrading, Today, 07:25 AM
                    1 response
                    1 like
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_Clayton  
                    Started by EB Worx, 04-04-2023, 02:34 AM
                    7 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post VFI26