Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How to save a chart with all the settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to save a chart with all the settings?

I wish to create multiple chart windows and set very specific settings in each window e.g. data series, timeframes, strategies, indicators and so on.
    I want to save all those windows, then I want to close them and open them later and see them exactly how I saved them.

From what I understand this works using workspaces. If I save my workspace, then I get all my windows back when I load it again.
    However, it appears that I have to keep all those windows open. But keeping too many windows open is not a good idea. It is not good from performance point of view. I also don't want to have too many taskbar icons in my taskbar so I cannot easily switch to the window I want.
    So I close some windows that I don't need right now. But if I close a window it disappears from the workspace completely. There is no way to load/open it again...

I tried to use Chart Templates to solve this problem. I configure a chart window the way I want to and save it as a template. But when I create a new chart window and load a template - the template does not really help much. The template does not seem to store the data series, the timeframe and the strategy - everything is lost. So I am not really sure what is stored in the chart template - it appears useless to me.

So how to easily open/load chart windows that I carefully crafted in the earlier sessions without keeping all of them open at the same time?

After setting up your charts, Right click on the chart, click "Templates" Save as. Name it what you want.

Then when you want to load up the chart template, do the same thing, this time just click "load"

Comment

Or you can create a workspace. In the control center, go to workspaces, then click "New" Name your workspace...and all charts will be saved with all settings.

Comment

Thanks.

As I said, saving a chart template does not help at all because chart template does not store the data series and its settings include timeframe etc. The chart template does not store the strategy that I added to the chart and its settings too. Try loading a chart template and you see that you lost almost all your settings. So I don't event know what the chart template saves except chart background color.

It looks like I have to do this using multiple workpaces. It is probably good enough, but that's a question of granularity...

Imagine you have a desk with a number of documents, projects, folders on it - that's your workspace. I want to be able to put only one of my projects away into the desk drawer and possibly pull out another one but still stay at the same desk in the environment of all other documents I have on it. This is not possible in Ninjatrader. Ninjatrader's metaphor is "go to another desk altogether". And having multiple desks in one office is somewhat too heavy.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your posts.

Chart properties, chart panel properties, and indicator settings are saved as a Chart Template. Other information to create a workspace is saved separately.

Yes, the solution would be using multiple workspaces instead if you find performance is being affected in a single workspace with these open.

I have provided a link below to our Help Guide that goes over performance tips:
          Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.

Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

But how do you get to 'Templates' - seriously, this is one of the least intuitive trading platforms I have seen...you should be able to simply, 'Load Charts' or simply have the default chart load automatically, or have a prompt give you the option to load the chart on start up. The 'apply' and 'ok' process is so very 'clunky' - but I keep hearing good things about the platform from others, I will give it a chance, but come on...

So - how do you load a previously saved Chart? You can't simply go to 'Workspaces' and load it from the pull down - you need to go to 'Templates' - I've checked every pull down - no 'Templates' - not even when you right click...I'm sure it is easy and obvious but not to me.

Comment

Hello,

thanks for your reply.

Chart templates can be applied when opening a new chart. Click on New> Chart> and in the data series window that pops up, this can be applied in the top right hand corner of the window.

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.
              Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
              4 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post DJ888
              by DJ888

Started by terofs, Today, 04:18 PM
              0 responses