Data Speed issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data Speed issues

I just bought NinjaTrade / multiple brokers licenses, I have been trading with it this past week and I am starting to have second thought with the platform. The biggest issue is data speed. I use IB for my data. If I load a chart on TWS it is very fast, even on multiple charts. Same with thinkorswim. With Ninjatrader it takes about 10 mn to load when I start the app in the morning, and then if I load a new instrument it take another 5 to 10 mn. I only have 2 screens, 6 charts opened at anytime, 3 of them are the same instrument /different time frames, I only use 3 studies on a couple of charts: RSI, Slow Stochastic and volume, nothing too fancy, I only have 6 instrument loaded on the Market Watch tool. What am I doing wrong. Again if I load the same instrument on the WTS it takes less than a second to load. I have a very fast internet line, a lighting fast PC i9 9900K processor, plenty of ram and NVIDIA RTX 2080, so the hardware, internet speed isn't the issue and IB isn't as well because data are very fast on their platform....

The data from Interactive Brokers into NinjaTrader is limited by the capabilities of the API they provide. Unfortunately this is notoriously slow. The best solution would be to use an alternative data feed that does not have this limitation (like Kinetick).

Comment

I just wished I would have been aware if the issue before buying your software : ( Now I have to spend more money to use soemthing I already have from both TD and IB.
      If your app doesn't work with other Brokers, don't put them on your list of compatible brokers and don't charge another $500 for a multi broker license you know doesn't work. This is incredible disappointing and I feel somewhat dishonest not to be forthcoming with its limitations.

Comment

NinjaTrader is always free until you decide you'd like to live trade. NinjaTrader and Interactive Brokers are compatible, however, every feed/broker has unique characteristics and limitations.

Comment

I downloaded the test version before buying it and it was fast with your data stream. I assumed I would get the same data speed with the other "compatible brokers you have on your list" It is was slightly slower than your data feed , like a second or two, that would be acceptable, but 5 to 10 mn to load a chart, this is more that a limitation?..., this is bluntly ridiculous. Who trades like this? Nobody, is those brokers do not have the right API for your platform they should not be included and you should open and honest by making sure that people such as myself who are buying your platform know that they will need a third party data feed provider. That's it, it's that easy.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

You could also mitigate this historical data limitation by reducing the 'days to load' on your charts.

Comment

Thanks. I have posted the same question to another forum, hopefully I can get ideas on what people who use Ninjatrader do. Myabe I am missing something. I am having a very hard time understanding that IB would be on your Broker/provider list if it didn't deliver an acceptable user experience.

Comment

Hi fmaurel,
                I apologize that your current user experience is not what you were hoping to get. Would you mind sharing some perspective about your user experience with TOS? What drove your decision to buy NInjaTrader in addition or as replacement of TOS?
                Thank you, NT-Roland
                P.S.: I don't use IB (snapshot) data in none of my platforms. I want "real", unfiltered market data with time stamps and I want to get exactly the same data as all other customers. And I don't want to see "pacing violations" either, no matter what I download when and how.

Comment

Hi NT-Roland,
                  TOS has a very busy interface and I can't customize it exactly the way I want. I have been looking for a new platform for some time. TradeStation was a strong contender, not to say most of my trader friends use it. Then I heard about NinjaTrader , downloaded the trial version and was sold. It fits the way I trade almost perfectly, a very uncluttered interface, studies that are equally subtle yet visible, the ability to customize almost everything, the chart trader, great charting capabilities and very responsive... I could go on... I don't scalp, so lighting speed to me isn't necessary and most of my entry are limit orders but I do want to go from one instrument to the other quickly, a second or two lag is fine, but 5mn-10mn isn't feasible. I don't mind paying extra for data, I do mind not being told before the facts, before buying the platform so that I have a chance to consider the pros and cons. That's it. I appreciate companies that are honest from the get go. It's all about trust.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Max238, Today, 01:28 AM
                  2 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_ChristopherJ  
                  Started by Shansen, 08-30-2019, 10:18 PM
                  25 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH