Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Window Alignment after restarting NT8

Hi everyone,

I run NT8 on a Windows 10 VM, version 8.0.21.1 64-bit, full license (regular).

I use quite a few windows on my 4k monitors and have managed to align them using the freeware "Winsplit Revolution Portable" https://sourceforge.net/projects/win...utionportable/
    This is a piece of software I've been using for nearly 10 years now, really recommend it (beware it may crash NT8 on virtual machines with poor graphics support).

Here is what happens:

- I align all the windows to fit into their grid with Winsplit Revolution. I then save the workspace and exit NT8.
    - Upon restarting NT8, all my windows are slightly off per the attached screenshot.

Call me OCD but this is simply annoying because it defeats the scope of having a workspace in the first place. It's bad enough NT8 windows management is archaic and like a java applet from the 90s, but this really drives me crazy. Appreciate anybody's thoughts on this. BTW, it happens on my native Windows Desktop as well, just to a lesser extent (so I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that I am RDP'ing into a remote server (screen resizes etc.).

Lastly, when connected via RDP to the VM, I close NT8, do NOT save any settings, re-open, and the windows are still completely misaligned..

Can you please escalate this to the bug report team?

Thanks!

We do not officially support this software, so there is not necessarily a bug to report here. NinjaTrader users a unique form of window management that makes it incompatible with many of this type of software.

With that said, I could not reproduce this on HD resolutions.(1920x1080) using WinSplit or manually arranging workspace windows. If you change to HD resolution, are you still able to reproduce this symptom?

Can you reproduce this symptom if you do not use the WinSplit software and simply manually arrange your workspace windows?

Comment

Hi Patrick, I am a little surprised by your comment as I understand you suggest that Winsplit Revolution intereferes with NT8 which is not the case. It moves Windows, I assume NT8 should be able to handle that no? The same thing happens when I manually align them to the top. I believe my screenshots were indicative of that, no?

Can you please use "small taskbar icons" and try reproducing this again? I want to maximize my screen real estate and I am wondering whether NT8 windows management has a problem with this stock feature of Windows 10...

Thanks.

Comment

'Use small taskbar buttons' was enabled on my PC when I originally tested this. There must necessarily be something unique about your PC configuration that is contributing to this symptom that we have not yet identified.

Today, again, I could not reproduce this on HD resolutions.(1920x1080) using WinSplit or manually arranging workspace windows. If you change to HD resolution, are you still able to reproduce this symptom?

Your screenshots only indicate the spaces or overlap of windows pointed out by your arrows. I am now noticing an additional detail (that you mentioned originally) that you're using Windows Remote Desktop to access a virtual machine. Can you reproduce this locally on a physical PC?
        Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 06-19-2020, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Sorry Patrick, I had abandoned this topic a while back and just saw that you were still waiting for a reply from my end.
          This also happens on the local machine all the time. It has nothing to do with the third party software, it is NT8 who doesn't seem to "remember" where the windows should be...

Comment

To clarify, this same symptom occurs on your local PC and we're now completely ignoring the virtual machine/remote desktop? Remote desktop is no longer in use, and you're physically interacting with the PC we're now referring to?

Can you reproduce this symptom 100% of the time on your local PC? Or does it seem intermittent?

Comment

yes, the windows are consistently slightly off on a local machine (I use 3 x 4k 27 inch monitors).

Comment

"Can you reproduce this symptom 100% of the time on your local PC? Or does it seem intermittent?" - To flesh out this question, I'd like for you to test that after aligning the windows as you desire and saving the workspace, do they become misaligned on restart?

Also, can you double-check all of the troubleshooting we tried earlier in this thread on your local machine as you did on your virtual machine?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by usazencortex, Today, 12:43 AM
                0 responses
                1 view
                0 likes
                Last Post usazencortex  
                Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
                168 responses
                0 likes