Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indicators Disappearing

Hello,
    Every time I start Ninja trader 8 all of my indicators disappear. I put in a lot of time customizing my workspace and save a backup every day.
    This has happened multiple times over multiple days. I have already put in a support ticket in the past and followed directions on how to uninstall NT8 and reinstall.
    I would like to ask your assistance to fix this issue.

Hello Newtrader101,

Ensure to always exit NinjaTrader by selecting the X at the top right of the Control Center only. DO NOT right click on the NinjaTrader icon on the Windows Taskbar and select Close all windows. This will close the charts/etc before asking to save your workspace, resulting in a blank workspace. Do not close the individual charts or these will be removed from the workspace.

First, ensure the workspace you have open is the one that has your items saved and that they are not minimized. Hover over the NinjaTrader 8 icon on the Windows Taskbar to see if your charts are there. You can open other workspaces by going to the Control Center -> Workspaces -> Click on the workspace you want to open. If you're not sure what this list means and how to tell if a workspace is open, in view, or closed, please visit the following help guide link:

If the current workspace selected is the workspace in question, close the workspace without saving the workspace and then re-open this to open the workspace as it was last saved.

If this does not re-open the workspace items expected, in NinjaTrader 8.0.15.1 and later there is a new "Restore workspace" feature.
    Complete the following steps to use the "Restore workspace" feature:
    1. Navigate to Tools -> Database Management
    2. Select "Restore workspace"
    3. Select Restore to be directed to the location of the recovery workspaces
    4. Workspaces will be organized in folders with the same name as the workspace
    5. Double click the folder of the workspace you want to recover and then select the recovery file with the date/time that you want to recover
    Below I have provided a link to the Restore Workspaces section of our help guide:

Alternately, you can restore your workspaces from a backup if you completed one recently. Complete the following steps to restore a Backup Archive:
    1. From within the Control Center window select the Tools menu. Then select the menu Import and the Backup File... menu item
    2. Select the backup archive to restore from the "Restore" file dialog window
    3. Press the "Restore" button
    4. Select the items you wish to restore
    Below I have provided a link to the Backup and Restore section of our help guide:

To help prevent loss, ensure to do backup regularly.

If you have no backup you may be able to restore your workspaces to an earlier version using the Windows File History, if this is enabled on your computer:
    1. Within Windows open Documents> NinjaTrader 8
    2. Right click on the Workspaces folder and select Properties
    3. Select the Previous Versions tab
    4. See if you have the ability to restore to an earlier version
      (From a date the workspace was opening correctly)
    If there are no previous versions available, you will need to recreate your workspace.

If you have an anti virus/firewall program installed we recommend adding NinjaTrader to its exception/exclusion list. You will need to exclude the following directories:
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 8 or C:\Program Files\NinjaTrader 8
    • (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 8
    Additionally, if you have a backup or auto backup program you will want to pause it while using NinjaTrader (or add an exclude rule with the NinjaTrader folders) so it does not conflict with saving your NinjaTrader files.
    Below I am including links to training videos for saving charts in workspaces.

Further, if there are 3rd party indicators being used in the workspace, check the Log tab of the Control Center for any error messages that may be preventing the indicators from loading and report these messages to the vendor that distributes that product.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ensure to always exit NinjaTrader by selecting the X at the top right of the Control Center only. DO NOT right click on the NinjaTrader icon on the Windows Taskbar and select Close all windows. This will close the charts/etc before asking to save your workspace, resulting in a blank workspace. Do not close the individual charts or these will be removed from the workspace.
      I always click the X and select Yes when asking to save my work space. I have learned my lesson from the previous times that NT8 has lost my indicators. This is also why I save a backup daily since I never know if NT8 will keep my indicators in place.

First, ensure the workspace you have open is the one that has your items saved and that they are not minimized. Hover over the NinjaTrader 8 icon on the Windows Taskbar to see if your charts are there. You can open other workspaces by going to the Control Center -> Workspaces -> Click on the workspace you want to open. If you're not sure what this list means and how to tell if a workspace is open, in view, or closed, please visit the following help guide link:
      https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...paces_menu.htm
      If the current workspace selected is the workspace in question, close the workspace without saving the workspace and then re-open this to open the workspace as it was last saved.

I have checked and not workspace or charts have been minimized.

I was not aware of the "Restore Workspace" function. This solved the problem of being able to restore the my workspace but does not address why NT8 did not open up to the last version of my saved workspace.

Comment

Hello Newtrader101,

Are any errors appearing on the Log tab of the Control Center?

Can you provide a video of saving the workspace, shutting down ninjatrader, restarting and the indicators or charts missing?

One free tool that can be used for this is Jing by Techsmith. Below is a publicly available link to their site.
        TechSmith Capture is a simple, free way to create basic screenshots and screen recordings and share them with others.

If you already have a screen recording app, you can use the app of your choice.

Comment

Here is a link to saving and closing my workstation. Also attached is a picture of the log file for my NT8.
          As you can see, my delta and price lines disappear upon reopening.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Log Tab.JPG
Views:	1357
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	1100513

Comment

Hello, Every time I start Ninja trader 8 all of my indicators disappear. I put in a lot of time customizing my workspace and save a backup every day. This has happened multiple times over multiple days. I have already put in a support ticket in the past and followed directions on how to uninstall NT8 and reinstall. I would

Comment

Hello Newtrader101,

Can you change the permission settings to public to allow this video to be viewed?

Or you can right-click the file and select get shareable link. This will turn on link sharing so that anyone with a link can view.

Comment

Sure- changed.

Comment

Hello Newtrader101,

I've watched the video but I am not seeing the issue.

As far as I can see, the same charts and Time & Sales windows opened.

Are there specific indicators that are in the Indicators window from a chart when the workspace is closed and are not in the Indicators window when the workspace is re-opened? (Show this in a video if this is the exact issue)

Comment

Please watch the video again, notice how upon restarting NT8 the Market Delta indicator window (2nd from the top) and the price line indicator from both the ADV and TIC have disappeared.

Comment

Hello Newtrader101,

All the labels look exactly the same that I can see.

Have the indicators actually been removed from the Indicators window?

Are you referring to the Order Flow Cumulative Delta indicator created by NinjaTrader? Is this applied to your chart?

Comment

Did you not see the price line for both the ADV and TIC have disappeared?
                        Yes, the order flow cumulative delta indicator is missing.
                        They have all actually disappeared.

Comment

Hello Newtrader101,

The labels on the ADV and Tick do now show any indicators applied. The Indicators window is not opened so there is not enough information to confirm what is added to the chart.
                          It is possible that a 3rd party indicator is experiencing an error in OnStateChange(), or is not processing historical data the same, or a number of other issues.
                          Opening the Indicators window and selecting the indicators would show what indicators are applied to Panel 3 and Panel 4 which would be a step forward in troubleshooting the issue.

Are these being removed from the Indicators window or are they still in the list and the plots are not appearing?

Are you using 8.0.21.1?

Below is a link to a video of creating a new workspace, opening a new chart, applying the Order Flow Cumulative Delta, showing this in the Indicators window, saving and re-opening the workspace, and then showing the Indicators window again.

If you close all open workspaces, and in a new workspace take the exact same steps as shown in the video using 8.0.21.1, do you experience different behavior?

Comment

Hi Chelsea,

Thank you for your reply.

I can confirm that I am using 8.0.21.1

I have made a new video showing you the indicator window. As you can see, when I start up NT I must manually restore my workspace each time, as all indicators have disappeared.
                            In the video, you will see that I restored my workspace, open the indicator window to show the active indicators, save and close NT.
                            I then open NT, and show you the indicator window with the missing indicators.

Comment

Hello Newtrader101,

I'd like to schedule a call with you so that I test the steps I have requested in a new workspace on your behalf.

Please send an email to [email protected]. In the email please include a link to this forum thread.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:53 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post CortexZenUSA  
                              Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:46 AM
                              0 responses