moving playback slider redraws the chart from beginning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

moving playback slider redraws the chart from beginning

Hi, I tried to search the forum but found no answer to this query.

When I am using playback in NT8 and I advance the slider, it draws all the candles to that point in time. Now, when I move the slider some distance back or forward from this point, all the candles get redrawn all over again from beginning of the time period chosen.

This does not happen in NT7, where it just removes candles if going back, or adds additional candles when going forward.

Is there a setting I am missing? Or is this behavior by default?

Thanks.
    Last edited by sarahc; 09-15-2018, 01:41 AM.

Hello sarahc,

Thank you for your post.

The behavior you are seeing in NinjaTrader 8 when using the Playback Slider is by design.

The intention is to ensure the bars are built tick by tick with the Replay Data.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the reply. I still don't understand how the end result of moving the slider several times in NT7 is any different than NT8 from an analysis point of view. They both produce the same end result. It's just that NT8 takes a significantly longer time as it restarts the drawing process from the beginning, whereas NT7 is snappy and fast and doesn't do this redrawing. You mentioned that the bars are built tick by tick with the Replay Data when moving the slider in NT8. Isn't this also the case for NT7? Thanks again for any insight.

Comment

Just to concur with sarahc's posting/observation. I rarely use either of them in 7 or 8 but have recently had occasion to in 8 and observed the same as reported by sarahc.

In practice, moving from one time region of interest to another is tedious waiting for the entire redraw over and over.

Also, for similar reasons, it would nice to be able (unless I've missed it) to type in a specific time to move to, particularly if you're wanting to replay over and over, rather than having to finesse with the slider, not get the exact time, have to wait for it to get there etc

Just constructive feedback, is all

Comment

Turn on playback current day only. Right click in the playback bar if I remember correctly.

Does that help?

Comment

Hello sarahc,

Thank you for your response.

When moving the slider NinjaTrader 7 the data loaded up to that point is historical data. In NinjaTrader 8 the Playback connection will move through the collection of data to the point in time of the slider and as it moves through it plays through the Market Replay data.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by brucerobinson View Post
              Just to concur with sarahc's posting/observation. I rarely use either of them in 7 or 8 but have recently had occasion to in 8 and observed the same as reported by sarahc.

In practice, moving from one time region of interest to another is tedious waiting for the entire redraw over and over.

Also, for similar reasons, it would nice to be able (unless I've missed it) to type in a specific time to move to, particularly if you're wanting to replay over and over, rather than having to finesse with the slider, not get the exact time, have to wait for it to get there etc

Just constructive feedback, is all
              @brucerobinson - This is an excellent point! I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this frustration!

I've attached a screenshot of an example Replay window that shows how it overcomes the Ninjatrader Replay limitations:

You can jump any number of ticks backward and forward on your intraday charts.
              Since you can have different charts (i.e. 5 tick, 13 minute, or 5 day), each bar on the chart represents different amount of data. You can playback the market "as is", which means one update equals one bar on your chart. You can also choose “Tick by Tick”, "Minute by Minute" or "Day by Day" as alternative playback options.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TraderYoda View Post
                @brucerobinson - This is an excellent point! I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this frustration!

I've attached a screenshot of an example Replay window that shows how it overcomes the Ninjatrader Replay limitations:

You can jump any number of ticks backward and forward on your intraday charts.
                Since you can have different charts (i.e. 5 tick, 13 minute, or 5 day), each bar on the chart represents different amount of data. You can playback the market "as is", which means one update equals one bar on your chart. You can also choose “Tick by Tick”, "Minute by Minute" or "Day by Day" as alternative playback options.
                That can't be done with the replay data. You either have to fake it with historical bars like nt7, or play it back properly.
                Indicators would be drastically off otherwise .they went for more detail in indicators/strategy code in nt8.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by aa731, Today, 02:54 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post aa731
                by aa731

Started by thanajo, 05-04-2021, 02:11 AM
                3 responses
                0 likes