Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract RollOver on Open Positions

Hi

I am having a small issue which I haven't yet figured out. How do i roll over an open position to the new contract month since the old contract was closed??? I have tried on the sim brokerage and haven't figured it out...Please assist.

Regards

It is not possible to roll over a position from one contract to another. You would need to close the position and then re-open it on the new contract.

If you were trading live, your broker likely would have closed the position automatically before the contract settled. Please contact your broker or potential broker for more information on what would occur in this situation during live trading.

Since the contract is now settled, it will be impossible to close that position in the simulator. You'll need to reset the simulator to clear the position. Resetting a simulation account will clear all historical trade data from this account. Please follow the instructions below to reset a simulation account:
    • From the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the Accounts tab
    • Right click on your simulation account and select 'Edit Account'
    • Press the "Reset" button

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the clarity and feedback. I will definitely talk to my ninja trader broker as you have suggested about the live account...However, ideally when should one close their position and open the front month position? Can i do it on the first day notice? and once I re-open by entering the same number of contracts will the previous accumulated profit/loss continue in the new position?

Comment

You can also ask your broker about the ideal or required 'last trade date' to learn more about how long you may hold a position, and what happens to that position prior to the contract expiring.

Profit does not grow/accumulate across contracts. For example, you can think of the difference between ES 09-18 and ES 12-18 to be as different as AAPL and MSFT. They are two completely different products. Closing a position in one contract will complete that trade. Opening a position in another contract begins a new position/trade.

Comment

Hello,

could you please clarify how rollover position is done with NinjaTrader Brokerage. I have an open position in demo account for CL and today there is the expiration day for contract CL APR24.

I have done the contract rollover following the pop-up notification when NT is started but the open position is still linked to CL APR24 and not to CL MAY24.

The open position rollover is done automatically after expiration date? Is it done by the broker automatically?

Can be coded in the strategy a way to do it automatically?

Thank you.

Regards

Comment

Hello,

You would need to close the position in the front month and reopen the position in the back month. You can also go to the positions tab and right click the positions tab and select 'Roll Position'.
            Ryan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by adeelshahzad, Today, 03:54 AM
            5 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
            Started by stafe, 04-15-2024, 08:34 PM
            7 responses
            0 likes