How to break the Grid 'Find' method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to break the Grid 'Find' method

Was messing with using the "Find" context menu function in the Strategy Analyser Log tab grid, although I think the same issue exists anywhere the Find facility is available.

I was not aware that it supported REs... but seems it does, albeit AFAIK this is not documented. Well, now I know... and it's useful!
    Anyway... I wanted to search for the string "(Range"... NT spat the dummy, as I did not have balanced brackets. Fine... but, it generates an Unhandled Exception, which also gets logged as a (red) error in the log... which is I think overkill.

Maybe fix it so it advises the user that the Find string doesn't pass muster for an RE... but catch the exception, and don't log it as a serious error in the log...

Click image for larger version

Name:	SA Find RE.png
Views:	125
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	1101926

Cheers,
    T.

Hello tgn55,

Thank you for your post.

I think the simplest way to handle this would be a request to allow a single parenthesis to be used in a search string. I have created a feature request to allow the single parenthesis to be used in the Find function without throwing an error. This request is being tracked under the number SFT-4851.

As with all feature requests, interest is tracked before implementation is considered, so we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment. If implemented, it will be noted in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide.

Release Notes — https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.
    Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks... but I suspect your idea would mean breaking part of the RE functionality... which would be a backward step. Please don't do that!
      I'm talking a bit in the dark here, as I still don't know if/where the RE stuff is documented... but I did do some basic RE expressions, inside parenthesis... and they worked. Nice... let's NOT sacrifice that for the ability to search for a "("... which, let's face it ... is not something folk will do very often!

Regexp searching can be mighty useful... if, as I do... you have hundreds of entries in the SA Log tab...

Update: I did some more testing, and you can search for a "("... just need to do the usual quoting with backslash... and then it works. So... more reason to NOT break this! Just need to add an exception handler for malformed regexps... and it will all be good!

Cheers,
      T.
      Last edited by tgn55; 05-27-2020, 11:27 AM. Reason: More info...

Comment

Hello tgn55,

Thanks for your reply.

I actually covered this in the feature request, which asks them to allow a single parenthesis if they can do so without breaking the regex functionality. If not, then to adjust the error that occurs. I apologize for my lack of detail in the reply.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.
        Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by TraderBCL, Today, 04:38 AM
        2 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post TraderBCL  
        Started by martin70, 03-24-2023, 04:58 AM
        14 responses
        0 likes