Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Gaming mouse for shortcuts in NT8? Anyone using a gaming mouse for trading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaming mouse for shortcuts in NT8? Anyone using a gaming mouse for trading?

Hi,

Could a gaming mouse such as a Razer Lancehead or say a Logitech G Pro/G403 be programmed with shortcuts from Ninja?

In particular, I use the "Ruler" and "Draw Line" functions a lot. It would be great if these could be programmed as buttons on a mouse.

I currently use a Logitech Anywhere MX2 and it seems like it's not possible to assign commands there, but I think maybe it should be possible with the mouse mentioned above or similar?

Also generally interested in comments from other users who may be using gaming mouse. Maybe there's other advantages as well. For example improved precision?

Thanks in advance.

Johnny

Hello Johnny,

Thank you for your post.

While this is untested and we do not currently have any resources to share with you regarding the use of a gaming mouse with NinjaTrader, I would suspect it would theoretically be possible to bind certain keys to buttons on a mouse that would be assigned as hotkeys in NinjaTrader. I'd suggest exploring the resources of the manufacturers before purchasing and perhaps other users who have been successful with this will share their information as well.

Let us know if we may assist any further.

Comment

I use three gaming mice for this purpose and it works great

I use the Razer Nagra 2014 left and Right hand version with their Razer Synapse control center to program all the keys.

I also have the RedDragon Perdition mouse

Comment

Originally posted by James108 View Post
        I use three gaming mice for this purpose and it works great

I use the Razer Nagra 2014 left and Right hand version with their Razer Synapse control center to program all the keys.

I also have the RedDragon Perdition mouse
        Hi,

Interesting. Mind me asking what functions and how many you've programmed?

Beyond programming buttons - do you feel that there's a difference from regular mouses with regards to performance? I have a Anywhere MX2 and am a little uncertain if the upgrade is worth it as my MX is quite decent.

Thanks.

PS: Which of the two mice do you recommend?

Comment

Programmable Mouse

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
          Hi,

Could a gaming mouse such as a Razer Lancehead or say a Logitech G Pro/G403 be programmed with shortcuts from Ninja?

Johnny

Hi....have mentioned here before...but have been using a SteelSeries Rival 500 mouse for around 6 months...11 programmable mouse buttons.....very easy to set up with your Ninja hot keys...good software....the buttons are all easy to reach (except the right & left tilt buttons...they seem a bit awkward so far) ....really like this better than a simple mouse & keyboard combo....though still use the keyboard for some less often used Ninja hotkeys...this mouse is about $55 at Amazon....

Screen shots below....thanks...
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Alfred; 09-20-2018, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred View Post
            Hi....have mentioned here before...but have been using a SteelSeries Rival 500 mouse for around 6 months...11 programmable mouse buttons.....very easy to set up with your Ninja hot keys...good software....the buttons are all easy to reach (except the right & left tilt buttons...they seem a bit awkward so far) ....really like this better than a simple mouse & keyboard combo....though still use the keyboard for some less often used Ninja hotkeys...this mouse is about $55 at Amazon....

Screen shots below....thanks...
            Looks really good, Alfred. Thanks! I'll look into that specific model.

Finally, do you feel that there's added precision when just 'browsing/scrolling' compared to another mouse? Or is the added benefit mostly about programmable buttons?

Thanks.

Comment

I use a Logitech G13 Gamepad (along with a Logitech thumb trackball).

The Gamepad has its own Logitech software for programming the buttons, which can also use a programming language called LUA Script either alone or in addition. The Logitech software provides a consumer-friendly interface for a reasonable array of Hotkey assigning. You can assign Ninja Hotkeys to the buttons.

However functionality can be greatly enhanced by using LUA to write macros for pretty much anything. In combination with the Ninja Hotkeys, I can do pretty much everything without touching the Keyboard - Drawing tools, move the mouse to pre-determined locations on multiple monitors and click, open/close/save/switch Workspaces, launch and exit Ninja etc.

Basically I start my day by hitting a button which runs a scrip which launches Ninja, opens all my workspaces, reloads data and end up with my mouse over a DOM. I can trade all day, place and manage trades, draw lines etc using only the macros assigned to keys, and mouse, mainly clicks with manually scrolling around much reduced.

I'm not promoting choosing a gamepad over gaming mouse, rather pointing out that with LUA Script you can use and greatly extend what you can do with the Ninja Hotkey capabilities, and I believe you can use it with some Logitech gaming mice in the same way you can with the gamepad i.e. assign Hotkeys and macros to (mice) buttons.

Other manufacturers may have similar.
              Best
              Last edited by brucerobinson; 09-21-2018, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                Looks really good, Alfred. Thanks! I'll look into that specific model.

Finally, do you feel that there's added precision when just 'browsing/scrolling' compared to another mouse? Or is the added benefit mostly about programmable buttons?

Thanks.
                It works pretty much like any mouse when you browse & scroll...however it is a bit heavier than a typical mouse....which is good as the pointer seems to stay in place better when clicking on a button.

The extra buttons are the main benefit...

Last edited by Alfred; 09-21-2018, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Thank you all for your valuable comments. I might indeed choose to go for a gaming mouse. I just need to decide which model, I guess.

Comment

This mouse is really good. I have used it a lot. I have played a lot of games. I played games like CSGO, LOL, Dota 2 and Minecraft. I have played a lot. I have about 4000 hours in every game that I mentioned. Minecraft is an exception, I have played it for more than 5000 hours with this mouse. I have played on servers that are hosted by these guys minecraft server hosting because these servers work the best with my mouse. I didn’t had any problems with them. In the next weeks I am going to open my own minecraft server.
                    Last edited by AveMadel; 09-03-2020, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Hi Johnny,

Much obliged to you for your post.

While this is untested and we don't as of now have any assets to impart to you with respect to the utilization of a gaming mouse with NinjaTrader, I would speculate it would hypothetically be conceivable to tie certain keys to catches on a mouse that would be allocated as hotkeys in NinjaTrader. I'd recommend investigating the assets of the makers prior to buying and maybe different clients who have been effective with this will share their data also.

Inform us as to whether we may help any further.

Comment

Not sure if the above is a bot or not.

Anyway, I discovered that my Logitech MX Anywhere was indeed programmable. I programmed the two buttons on the side for my most used tools (ruler and draw line). That's sufficient for my current needs and definitely a life saver.

Comment

Did a video explaining how we use a gaming mouse for this very purpose. https://youtu.be/x-N53aIz3Kw.

I think the razer program for someone who isn't a programmer makes it so easy to record macos and not just hotkeys. Eg. A macro could type 3 characters "1-5-m <enter>" in order to change timeframes. I also find it invaluable to setup a hotkey to turn on/off your crosshairs.... Makes things super easy.
                          xabcdtrading
                          NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - XABCD trading

Comment

I always used the touchpad. Is a gaming mouse really that good?

Comment

I don't have a gaming mouse, just a wireless Logitech M510. Logitech has its own software for mapping mouse actions to key presses. However, oddly enough, it doesn't provide support for the Windows key. Anyway... I'm using X-Mouse Button Control from Highland Enterprises currently for non-NT8 actions. It's free and is working well.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:53 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post CortexZenUSA  
                              Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:46 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view