Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Order quantity changing when switching ATM strategy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Order quantity changing when switching ATM strategy?

Hi, all,

I have one main ATM strategy I use when entering the market. It submits a hard stop and a limit order.

However, if I change to another ATM strategy later, my order quantity automatically defaults back to 1.

So, it's happened that I've been trading 4 contracts, but suddenly am trading 1 contract instead as I didn't pay attention to this.

Is there a way to avoid this when switching between ATM strategies? A setting?

If not, I suggest that Ninjatrader implement this somehow. Could be a setting on the Chart Trader or elsewhere which states something to the effect of 'Keep order quantity fixed'. Or maybe I could set my default order quantity somehow.

PS: I know I can probably program quantity in the ATM, but my contract sizing is a bit flexible, so would prefer to not do that.

Thanks in advance!

Johnny

Hello Johnny,

The Quantity is saved with the Atm Strategy template. Whatever the quantity is in the Atm Strategy window when the template is saved will be the default quantity when that template is selected.

It is possible to change the quantity in the Atm Strategy Template and save a new template.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

My quantity in ATMs is set to 1 by default. As such, when I change quantity before placing an order the ATM will be a multiple of 1, i.e., 5 x 1 = 5 contracts.

Problem is that NT by default changes quantity when switching between strategies. It seems to revert to 1 at other times too. It happened to (from 5 to 1) and I don't think I changed anything.

Suddenly saw I was in a trade with 1 contract instead of 5.

Comment

Hello Johnny,

Yes, the quantity is saved with the template. This means whatever quantity is saved in the template will the quantity that is switched to when the strategy is selected.

Save a new template with a different quantity like 5 to get a quantity of 5 when changing to that template. Each template can have a different quantity saved which will load when that template loads.

Comment

The problem here is that I may be trading 3 contracts today, 4 tomorrow, 5 day the after and maybe 4 the day after that.

I want the order quantity to stay fixed even when switching between ATM strategies.

It's not a big problem for me at the moment, but I think it would be great if a feature could be added where it was possible to 'lock' the order quantity on the chart trader.

Best regards,

Johnny

Comment

Hello Johnny,

The quantity will not stay fixed as the quantity is saved with the Atm Strategy template.

Use the strategy template that has the quantity you are wanting saved it in.

Comment

Hi, Chelsea,

Correct, but if quantity is 1 in the ATM strategy and I select quantity 5 in my chart trader - the actual quantity will then be 5.

As it does not seem to exist, I suggest an option where it's possible to 'lock' the quantity selected on the chart trader. Would be really nice for me if this could be implemented. Maybe others would like it too?

For example like this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Uten navn.png Views:	0 Size:	309.6 KB ID:	1104391

Comment

Hello Johnny,

To confirm, you want to disable the ability to load the quantity saved with the Atm Strategy?
                (The total quantity is intended to match the cumulative quantities of all targets)

I will submit a feature request on your behalf. Once I have a tracking ID for this request I will post in this forum thread.

Comment

Hi, Chelsea,

I believe that's correct, yes.

Not sure if it's something other users would appreciate. If so - feel free to chime in.

Johnny

Comment

Hello Johnny,

I've submitted a feature request for this.

Once I have a tracking ID for the request I will post in this thread.

Comment

Thanks, ChelseaB.

Comment

Hello Johnny,

This request is being tracked with ID# SFT-4907.

As with all feature requests, interest is tracked before implementation is considered, so we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment. If implemented, it will be noted in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide.

Release Notes — https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Comment

Thank you, Chelsea!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by love2code2trade, 04-17-2024, 01:45 PM
                          4 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post love2code2trade  
                          Started by cls71, Today, 04:45 AM