• If this is your first visit, you will have to register before you can post. To view messages, please scroll below and select the forum that you would like to visits. Questions? Be sure to check out the Forum FAQ.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

NinjaScript Editor Not Remembering Cursor Position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NinjaScript Editor Not Remembering Cursor Position

NinjaTrader 8.0.22.1 64-bit.

When using the NinjaScript Editor with multiple tabs, it seems that the editor does not accurately remember the cursor position in each tab.

This is what I experience:
    • Edit in one tab (Tab1)
    • Move to another tab (Tab2) and edit
    • Return to Tab1 -- the cursor is still positioned in a location of several edits previously, not where the last edit left it
    I don't believe it should be relevant, but in case it may be, these are all tabs editing AddOns.

Grateful for investigation.

Thanks.

Hello jeronymite,

Thanks for the post.

I just wanted to post a quick note to let you know I will test this and report what I can to development. If I have further information I can provide here I will make another reply.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Jesse, I'm wondering if there is any progress on this. It continues to make editing (in my case, large AddOns) very frustrating. When working with many thousands of lines of code, to continually have to relocate oneself to a prior editing point, rather than it being remembered and immediately available, is an unnecessary distraction.

I also note other issues with the editor:
      • It expands large amounts of code regions during editing if one is adding/deleting bracketed code (i.e. {}) when the brackets are inevitably unpaired in that process for a period. This can result in one having to continually collapse code, just to maintain the view one wants.
      • When moving the cursor to the left border of the editing region, the automatic background highlighting of blocks of code (usually methods) to show the full extent of them, is potentially a health hazard to people who suffer neurological susceptibility to light flashing, e.g. epileptics. I raised this issue some time ago, even noting it directly with Ray, and NinjaTrader's response was to reduce the brightness of the highlighting. Whilst an improvement, I strongly urge that an option be offered whereby the user can select the brightness of the highlight, even to point of it being disabled. This is truly a potential health issue for some people. For me, I note that it becomes a very annoying matter when editing at night and the flashing is more obvious. One could also make the delay between entering the border region where highlighting is triggered and the actual highlight occurring to be settable.
      • When Finding text, if the text is in a collapsed region beyond the currently displayed text (i.e. off-screen), the region will be opened and the cursor moved to the found text, but the screen does not scroll to the opened point, leaving one wondering if there was something found or not. One has to manually scroll down to discover the location.
      Many thanks, as always, for your consideration of the feedback provided.

Comment

Hello jeronymite,

Thanks for the post.

At this time there is no update, if I have anything to provide I will reply back here. I will see what i can note from these comments to provide to development.

I can suggest to use visual studio as that is a more advanced editor which likely does not suffer the same problems. The toolbar button will launch the project and as long as you have the NinjaScript editor open it will compile changes to the files.

I look forward to being of further assistance.

JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I reported this issue a while back in this post.

I did a fair bit of testing but could not trigger it on the standard source files. Mine are quite a lot more complex... and it is a thorough pain. I do use VS... much better editor, but there are many other advantages too. Definitely recommend you go down this path... it will be worth it.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by asmmbillah, Today, 02:23 PM
          1 response
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
          Started by steveg, Today, 02:44 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post steveg