Continuum Panic Error on Saturdays.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continuum Panic Error on Saturdays.

We've set up a VPS running an automated strategy 24/7. We've had it running for 3 weeks and every Sunday, we login to make sure the strategy is good to go for Sunday's future market open, NT8 has a panic error and needs to be restarted. This is not something we'd like to deal with on a weekly basis. Please advise.

I dismissed the error but if you're unfamiliar, this weekend I'll screenshot it and add it here. I know it says 'Panic' and something else, just forgot to jot down what it was specifically.

Thanks.

Hello chasebank,

Typically there is maintenance on the weekend with most brokerage servers on Friday night and / or Saturday.
    Most brokerages will have the maintenance completed Sunday before market open. You will need to restart NinjaTrader if NinjaTrader is open during this time.

While the servers are offline, NinjaTrader will not be able to maintain a connection to them (because the server is not online to connect to).

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any workaround for this, as the weekend server maintenance is often necessary.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB; 06-08-2020, 11:53 AM.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Wow. That seems like a terrible solution. I guess I'll keep searching. We may have to find another platform.

Comment

One solution we have found to this is to have the settings set to keep strategies running when connection is lost. This works for the most part, however sometimes when we connect it throws errors about not able to cancel out life orders.

Chad
        chadnash
        NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Nash Technologies

Comment

I'm not certain what you mean exactly by "NT has a panic error" - do you mean to suggest you can't just reconnect the data feed and re-enable the strategy but the platform is in an unrecoverable state or has actually exited leaving a final crash-type error message visible on your desktop? If so, this seems like you should look at the log and trace files and submit this as an error to NinjaTrader support by emailing your logs and trace. Yes, there is weekend maintenance, but the platform should not "crash" - you should be able to just reconnect your feed afterward and re-enable your strategy.
          Bruce DeVault
          QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
          NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

Hi Bruce,

No it doesn’t force a close of NT, that is just the actual error NT pops up whenever the connection / session is about to close.

”Your session is about to close. (Panic)”

Basically for those running multi day strategies, this puts us in a position where it’s now up to us to need to reconnect ourselves before market open… and sometimes when we reconnect ourselves I do get messages about how it can’t cancel our live orders, I’ll document the next time this happens.

I suppose the “connect at login” would be nice to have some option to reconnect at “X” time of day if connection is closed.

This way we can be sipping mai tai’s from the beach without worry

Chad
            chadnash

Comment

You mentioned that NT needs to be restarted in your initial post. It sounds like you mean you just had to reconnect the feed. I agree it would be good to have an option to reconnect automatically e.g. if it's disconnected keep trying to reconnect periodically until it is able to do so. I would also hope that since they're reworking the connection as the new "NinjaTrader" connection type in 8.1, maybe they could do something about this such that the "NinjaTrader" new connection at least reconnects or stays connected.
              Bruce DeVault
              QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
              NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

Yes… or maybe if it attempts reconnection and fails for X times, it attempts again after “x” hours or significant length of time that would handle whatever maintenance was needed.

As far as closing NT, I think that at least ok one occasion it’s not that NT crashed but upon reconnection there were errors that the strategies were unable to cancel live orders… for this I’ll have to document the next time it happens to see how we can avoid it.

Chad
                chadnash

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by rocketman7, Today, 02:12 AM
                1 response
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                Started by briansaul, Today, 05:31 AM