NT >> IB: The contract description specified for CASH is ambiguous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT >> IB: The contract description specified for CASH is ambiguous

I'm running NinjaTrader 8.0.22.1 64-bit (NT) connected to IQFeed for data and to Interactive Brokers (IB) for trading. When I use NT to place an order with IB for Meta Financial Group (symbol CASH), NT issues an error that reads in part "The contract description specified for CASH is ambiguous." The NT Master Instrument for CASH is defined as a Stock mapped to IB symbol CASH on my system, and CASH seems to be a valid symbol in IB's TraderWorkstation. Please advise re. how I might troubleshoot this issue.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you might provide.

Can you confirm that this is the instrument you're referring to? IB Symbol Search

What version of TWS/Gateway are you using?

What exchange is defined for your CASH instrument within NinjaTrader?

Comment

Hi PatrickG,

Yes, the instrument involved in this inquiry is Meta Financial Group, which is listed on NASDAQ Global Market under symbol CASH.

I'm using IB Gateway Build 973.2h.

The Master Instrument for CASH is set up on my system using only the Default exchange.

About this...

1. I see now that if I reconfigure the Master Instrument for CASH to use two exchanges, Default and Nasdaq, then I'm able to use NT to place orders with IB for CASH without any trouble.

2. I trade another instrument that's listed on NASDAQ, Euronet Worldwide, and it's set up on my system as Master Instrument EEFT using only the Default exchange. I'm able to use NT to place orders with IB for EEFT without any trouble.

So, why must CASH be set up to use both Default & Nasdaq, but EEFT need only be set up to use Default?

Thanks for your help with this issue so far, and thanks in advance for any further insight you might provide.

Comment

I suspect CASH has alternative routes or another stock with the same instrument name which requires a specific exchange to be defined in the mapping while EEFT does not.

Interactive Brokers Traderworkstation API support may be able to provide a more accurate and detailed answer. Specifically, they would be able to go into detail about the original message you reported: "The contract description specified for CASH is ambiguous.". I was able to find some documentation here on how this message can appear:

Comment

Super helpful as usual, PatrickG; thank you very much!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by ScottWalsh, 04-16-2024, 04:29 PM
          6 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post ScottWalsh  
          Started by frankthearm, Today, 09:08 AM
          10 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post frankthearm