X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Workspace not visible

Hi there
    Please help
    Certain workspaces when I open do not appear as a window.
    They dont appear at all.
    I can see in NT8 > Workspaces they have a green square icon indicating they are open and if I close them I am prompted to save as if it is open but it is not visible.
    Please help!
    thanks for any reply

I conducted the following after reading other posts:

Close NT8
    Run NT8
    Note Workspace that opens by default is WS005-XAU-Oil
    Open Workspace AUDJPY. This was functional today.
    that they are open is shown in

Control Centre > Accounts > Workspaces
    No workspace windows are visible at this point.
    I think WS005-XAU-Oil broke a while ago and I was not fussed.
    My other worspaces seem to be falling over now.
    Close WS005-XAU-Oil. Do not save.
    Now we have AUDJPY only open but now workspace window as shown below.
    From here I close the workspace and shut down NT8.

Attached is the trace file for the session and screenshots showing the actions described above.
    Thank you for any help

Attached Files

Comment

Hello slouw,

Thank you for your post.

The workspace either may have become corrupt or been saved with no windows open.

I suggest trying to restore a backup of your previous workspace; this is a feature that was recently added in version 15. To do this, go to Tools > Database Management and click the arrow to the left of "Restore Workspaces" to expand that section, then click "Restore". Navigate to the folder with the same name as the workspace you'd like to restore, then choose a workspace version - they're named by date, so if you can remember when the last time it worked correctly was, that would be a good place to start. It'll have the last 10 saves backed up in that folder.

Please let us know if this does not resolve the issue.
      Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Looking resolved - thank you

No news will be good news in this case.
        Thank you NT_Kate

Comment

Happened again

I have contrived to reproduce this issue see below.
          Notice in the red box there is Control Centre as the only NT8 window.
          This is with workspace CNH_001 open in the forefront as you can see (Is that the right term?)
          I am working on establishing exactly what I do to break it.

I am playing around with workspace CNH in this post not sure if it is related

Comment

Hello slouw,

Thank you for your reply.

The workspace in your above screenshot doesn't have any windows saved within it - the workspace may have been inadvertently saved when no other windows were opened. You can try the instructions to restore an earlier version, but if you saved more than 10 times while they were blank, you likely wouldn't be able to restore to one with windows opened, and would need to rebuild the workspace.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.
            Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I'm having the same issue. It shows green icon on the workspace but it does not show the windows. I also restored the work space but still the chart windows are not visible. Appreciate any help

Comment

First, ensure the workspace you have open is the one that has your items saved and that they are not minimized. Hover over the NinjaTrader 8 icon on the Windows Taskbar to see if your charts are there. You can open other workspaces by going to the Control Center -> Workspaces -> Click on the workspace you want to open. If you're not sure what this list means and how to tell if a workspace is open, in view, or closed, please visit the following help guide link:If this does not resolve the symptom, try restoring your workspace from an older save using the 'Restore workspace' feature:

Complete the following steps to use the "Restore workspace" feature:
                1. Navigate to Tools -> Database Management
                2. Select "Restore workspace"
                3. Select Restore to be directed to the location of the recovery workspaces
                4. Workspaces will be organized in folders with the same name as the workspace
                5. Double click the folder of the workspace you want to recover and then select the recovery file with the date/time that you want to recover
                Below I have provided a link to the Restore Workspaces section of our help guide:Alternatively, you can restore your workspaces from a backup if you completed one recently. Complete the following steps to restore a Backup Archive:
                1. From within the Control Center window select the Tools menu. Then select the menu Import and the Backup File... menu item
                2. Select the backup archive to restore from the "Restore" file dialog window
                3. Press the "Restore" button
                4. Select the items you wish to restore
                Below I have provided a link to the Backup and Restore section of our help guide:To help prevent loss, ensure to do backup regularly.

If you have no backup you may be able to restore your workspaces to an earlier version in Windows:
                1. To do this within Windows open Documents> NinjaTrader 8
                2. Right click on the Workspaces folder and select Properties
                3. See if you have the ability to restore to an earlier version
                4. If not, you will need to recreate your workspace
                Ensure to always exit NinjaTrader by selecting the X at the top right of the Control Center. DO NOT right click on the NinjaTrader icon in the Windows Taskbar and select Close as Windows could close the charts/etc before asking to save your workspace, resulting in a blank workspace.

If you have an anti-virus/firewall program installed you will want to add NinjaTrader to its exception list. You will need to exclude the following directories:
                • C:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 8 or C:\Program Files\NinjaTrader 8
                • (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 8
                Additionally, if you have a backup or auto backup program you will want to pause it while using NinjaTrader so it does not conflict with saving your NinjaTrader files.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I tried all those steps except that I've no back up. Once the workspace is restored I do see the restored workspace under 'Workspaces' but when I select it is not visible. This has been happening since day 1. (I started using NinjaTrader for 2 weeks)

Comment

This indicates that the workspace was saved with no windows within it. At this point, you'll need to recreate your desired windows. Then, to ensure that these windows are saved property as part of a workspace, make sure to shut down from the Control Center only. Do not close other windows before closing the Control Center as this will cause the workspace to be saved without any windows. I highly recommend that you view these resources on workspaces:

Comment

That helped. Thank you

Comment

Can this bug be fixed? I've lost several workspaces before finding this thread and figuring out why my "saved" workspaces always open with no windows! Ninjatrader's management of windows and workspaces leaves so much to be desired.

What is the proper way to close Ninjatrader? Clicking the box at the right of the control center window seems to be the only way.
                        Last edited by DudleyDoright; 12-31-2020, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Yes, the correct way to shut down NinjaTrader is to close from the red X in the top right of the Control Center.

A common mistake we see users make is that they first close other windows (charts, SuperDOMs, Market Analyzers, etc.), then close the Control Center. When you do this, NinjaTrader asks if you want to save your workspaces. If you choose yes, this means you've saved your workspace without all of the windows you've just closed. This is the incorrect way to shut down - you want to close only the Control Center and no other windows.

The best analogy I can think of at the moment is that you have a bucket on a shelf full of various items. You take the bucket off the shelf, dump the items into the trash, then place the bucket back on the shelf. You would not expect the various items to still be in the bucket the next time you took it off the shelf. I highly recommend that you view these resources on workspaces:There is no 'bug' per se being discussed in this topic. If a workspace has no windows other than the Control Center, this means it has been saved that way or some unknown corruption has occurred. So far, we have not seen any evidence that there was a corruption of a workspace, however, if that is happening and it is reproducible, we're very much interested in learning more about the reproducible steps which result in:
                          • The workspace contains other windows like charts
                          • You shut down ONLY the Control Center, save the workspace, then restart NinjaTrader
                          • The workspace contains no other windows
                          If the above bullet points are occurring to you and you're absolutely certain you're not closing your other windows before closing from the Control Center, please contact us via email: PlatformSupport[AT]NinjaTrader[DOT]com with "2604900 ATTN Patrick G" in the subject.

Comment

I am positive that I did not close the other windows before closing from the Control Center. I saved the workspaces before closing, and did not re-save the workspaces, close any windows, or do anything else before closing the app. I will contact support by email as suggested.

Comment

To clarify, you can follow the bullet-points in my previous post and reproduce this symptom every time? Or is the symptom intermittent/only occurred once?

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
                              • The workspace contains other windows like charts
                              • You shut down ONLY the Control Center, save the workspace, then restart NinjaTrader
                              • The workspace contains no other windows

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by wzgy0920, 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post wzgy0920  
                              Started by wzgy0920, 02-22-2024, 01:11 AM
                              5 responses
                              0 likes