Feature Request: Non-specific NinjaScript Editor folders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature Request: Non-specific NinjaScript Editor folders

The NinjaScript Editor allows one to create sub-folders in any of the pre-defined folders. These sub-folders are considered to be of the same item type as the parent folder -- Strategy sub-folders contain Strategy code, Indicator sub-folders contain Indicator code, etc.

This is fine if one is developing code that is "constrained" to a particular item type.

I develop code that is reusable in many different NinjaTrader item types. Essentially, it is library code that can be used in any AddOn, Indicator, Strategy, etc. It is code that has a non-NinjaTrader namespace, since it is not constrained to any particular NinjaTrader item type, but can be used in virtually any supported NinjaTrader code.

The use of sub-folders does not really work in this case. If one has created such "independent" code files in a top-level folder (e.g. AddOns) and one creates a sub-folder and moves the files to that sub-folder, the files are automatically edited by the Editor to change the namespace in the code to the relevant namespace of the parent folder (e.g. NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.AddOns). This, of course, is not what the developer intended. Also, having the files as part of any of the pre-defined folders implies that the code is specific to that particular type of NinjaTrader item, which it is not.

Please add a new feature to support these type of non-aligned code projects that underpin development of the recognised NinjaTrader item types. I would expect it to have at least these capabilities:
    • Able to create a top-level parent folder, not part of any pre-defined folders, for non-aligned code
    • Able to create sub-folders within the parent folder for similar code
    • The parent folder and sub-folders do not enforce any namespace or item-specific forms on the code
    • Supports all the normal capabilities of item-specific folders, including compilation, exclusion, etc
    Thanks.
    Multi-Dimensional Managed Trading
    jeronymite
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Mizpah Software

Hi jeronymite, thanks for your suggestion.

I have submitted a feature request for this and will reply with a tracking ID once I receive it.

Thanks in advance for your patience.
    Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi jeronymite, after some testing I am able to put custom code in the Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom folder and their namespaces are not getting changed. Its only when you make a subfolder in the pre-defined folders it will change the namespace name. If you place the file structure I created in the bin/Custom folder you can test with this code:

Code:
              using MyCustomNameSpace;
              using MyOtherCustomNameSpace;

MyCustomNameSpace.MyClass mc;
              MyOtherCustomNameSpace.MyOtherClass moc;

protected override void OnBarUpdate()
              {
                  mc = new MyClass();

mc.MyInt = 100;

moc = new MyOtherClass();

moc.MyOtherInt = 100;
              }
      If this does not resolve your inquiry please let me know.
      Attached Files
      Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks, Chris.

Although interesting, this does not really help. The issue is that the NinjaScript Editor needs to support a "NinjaTrader-object-agnostic" folder structure that allows developers to create and manage folders/sub-folders in the NinjaScript Editor Explorer that will not be "tampered" with by anything other than the developer, and will be fully supported for all standard folder/editor/compiler capabilities of the Editor.

If user-created folder structures in Custom could be recognised and treated in this manner, that would be a good start; but the ability to fully mange the folder structures and their files within the Editor and its Explorer is the real goal.

A fully integrated and supported non-object-specific folder structure within the NinjaScript Editor is the only real approach.

Thanks.
        Multi-Dimensional Managed Trading
        jeronymite
        NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Mizpah Software

Comment

Hello jeronymite,

Thank you for your reply.

I have created a feature request on your behalf to allow non-specific folders in the NinjaScript Editor. This request is being tracked under the number SFT-4913.

As with all feature requests, interest is tracked before implementation is considered, so we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment. If implemented, it will be noted in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide.

Release Notes — https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.
          Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
          1 response
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
          Started by chbruno, Today, 04:10 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes