Collapse

Cannot repair NT8 installation: Unable to locate or copy commission templates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot repair NT8 installation: Unable to locate or copy commission templates

1. Install NT8 to any directory other than the default.
    2. Start NT8 and verify that it starts.
    3. Run the installation for NT8 again.
    4. Choose the "Repair" option and complete the so-called repair. (The only options that you can use will be "Repair" or "Remove". There is no place to specify or check the directory to which you are installing).
    5. Start NinjaTrader and you will receive the error message box with text: Unable to locate or copy commission templates.

I cannot possibly install NT8 to my system drive. There is just not enough space left. NT8 needs to be installed on a different drive from C, and I really see no reason why not.
    Attached Files

Hello Koganam,

Thank you for your post.

You can install to another drive however you'll need to uninstall first, the repair option will not let you specify a new location t simply repairs your existing installation.

Please follow the steps listed below to completely uninstall and reinstall NinjaTrader.
    • Close all running applications.
    • Uninstall NinjaTrader within Windows Control Panel.
    • Navigate to C:\ > Program File (x86) > Delete the 'NinjaTrader 8' folder if it exists
    • Reboot your PC.
    • Once these steps are completed, download and install NT8 from the link below.
    • During the installation be sure to select the new location you would like to install NinjaTrader to.
    Additionally as a note, if you don't have at least 10% of your C drive free you'll likely run into performance issues on your PC ion general that will result in a bad experience using NinjaTrader. Please clear off additional space if you don't have at least 10% of your drive available on the C drive.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.
    Heath R.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I would have to say that you did not understand the issue. I do not have NT8 installed and now want to install to a different drive.

NT8 is already installed on the D: drive. It will not let me repair it, so no NT8 is most certainly NOT (to quote you) "... simply repairs your existing installation." It is installing a new copy to the default location.

I want to avoid being catty, so I will not write what I actually want to write, but surely, you cannot be telling me that unless I install NT8 in the first instance to the default location, then I cannot repair the installation, and must manually uninstall NT8 first and then reinstall it? That is, to put it politely, ridiculous. You cannot install a program on top of itself?

Please have this corrected, instead of giving responses which sound almost uneducated. I know that you cannot personally correct it, but it still needs to be properly set up, so that an installation can be repaired without a manual uninstall/reinstall routine. This is an issue that must be handled by correcting the installation routine, not by you attempting to teach me how to uninstall and reinstall a program. I already know, and did not need your helo to use, that obvious sledgehammer resolution: it still makes no sense.

What is needed is a competently written, sensibly behaved, installation system. One that will repair the existing installation no matter where it is located.
      Last edited by koganam; 06-17-2020, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Hello koganam,

Thank you for your reply.

To clarify, I am a Platform Support Team Lead here at NinjaTrader and I'm here to make sure all of your questions and concerns are addressed.

I'm sorry to hear you're frustrated. Before moving forward, I must insist you keep your language professional when communicating with platform support. We deserve the same respect you'd pay anyone in person in a professional environment. Keep in mind, we're trying to help.

I have tested installing the platform on an external drive and repairing it and are not able to reproduce this issue. This means you have likely not followed the same steps outlined in my initial response.

If you are getting the option to repair or remove the application when running the installer, this means that the application is still installed on your platform and being detected when you attempt to run the installer. You say that you do not have Ninjatrader installed, but yet you also say NinjaTrader 8 is installed on the D: drive. I'm confused by this, Again the installer is detecting an installation on your machine which is why it is showing the options it is.

To resolve your issue, Please follow the steps listed below to completely uninstall and reinstall NinjaTrader form the location it is already installed in.
        • Navigate to C:\ > Program File (x86) > Delete the 'NinjaTrader 8' folder if it exists
        • Reboot your PC.
        • During the installation be sure to select the new location you would like to install NinjaTrader to.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Heath View Post
          Hello koganam,

To clarify, I am a Platform Support Team Lead here at NinjaTrader and I'm here to make sure all of your questions and concerns are addressed.

I'm sorry to hear you're frustrated. Before moving forward, I must insist you keep your language professional when communicating with platform support. We deserve the same respect you'd pay anyone in person in a professional environment. Keep in mind, we're trying to help.

I have tested installing the platform on an external drive and repairing it and are not able to reproduce this issue. This means you have likely not followed the same steps outlined in my initial response.

If you are getting the option to repair or remove the application when running the installer, this means that the application is still installed on your platform and being detected when you attempt to run the installer. You say that you do not have Ninjatrader installed, but yet you also say NinjaTrader 8 is installed on the D: drive. I'm confused by this, Again the installer is detecting an installation on your machine which is why it is showing the options it is.

To resolve your issue, Please follow the steps listed below to completely uninstall and reinstall NinjaTrader form the location it is already installed in.
          • Reboot your PC.

I am still not making myself clear.

I had an issue.

I posted steps to recreate the issue.

That is all.

You are bringing in red herrings to confuse the matter. So let us start again.
          1. I had NT8 installed to the D: drive. for a long time now.
            I had an issue and wanted to repair that installation.
            I got the error.
          2. I came to the forum and showed you the steps to reproduce my error, starting from scratch, as if I were describing it to someone who had no knowledge of my system, information that you evidently, and understandably, cannot have. That is it.
          Please stop trying to confuse the issue with whether or not I have NT8 installed and all that stuff. I have been using NT for a long while now. Please stop telling me in such a condescending manner how to install NT. I spent too many years designing installations and enterprise systems for you to now be telling me how to install a program: any program.

There was nothing unprofessional in asking that things be done in a competent manner. Any program that cannot install over itself has a basic issue. You are Team Lead for support. This is a development issue. Heck, I will let you connect to this system with TeamViewer, as I have it set up now. Then you can try to run the NT installation to repair it and you can see the issue for yourself.

Comment

Hello koganam,

You mentioned several times in your original post referring to me as unintelligent and saying you "will not say what you want to say" This is the unprofessional language that I was referring to.

Again as mentioned, I've tested this on my end and have been unable to reproduce this issue trying to install several times from several different drives. In order for me to assist you I will need to you follow the steps that I have outlined.

If you prefer to work this in a remote session I would be happy to complete these steps for you. Please write into PlatformSupport (at) NinjaTrader (dot) com, with a phone number and time that would be best to reach you.

Also please include the following in the subject of your message "ATTN Heath FORUM TICKET 2609872"

Thank you I look forward to resolving your issue.

Comment

Hello koganam,

You mentioned several times in your original post referring to me as unintelligent and saying you "will not say what you want to say" This is the unprofessional language that I was referring to.

Again as mentioned, I've tested this on my end and have been unable to reproduce this issue trying to install several times from several different drives. In order for me to assist you I will need to you follow the steps that I have outlined.

If you prefer to work this in a remote session I would be happy to complete these steps for you. Please write into PlatformSupport (at) NinjaTrader (dot) com, with a phone number and time that would be best to reach you.

Also please include the following in the subject of your message "ATTN Heath FORUM TICKET 2609872"

Thank you I look forward to resolving your issue.
              See? That is what I mean. These are sounding like canned responses.

First, you misquote me: I never called you unintelligent, and I cannot do so, because I do not know you. I can call a response "sound almost uneducated" because the response clearly reads to me as not being in response to what I wrote. If you are offended, I will apologize, but you applying the statement about what you write to your person is a different issue. I apologize only because you sound offended; not because I agree with your transference of my words from your response to your person.

Then I pretty much tell you that I have already used the sledgehammer approach of manually uninstalling/reinstall when I write: "Heck, I will let you connect to this system with TeamViewer, as I have it set up now. Then you can try to run the NT installation to repair it and you can see the issue for yourself.", clearly implying that I have a working system now. Yet you ask me to: "Navigate to C:\ > Program File (x86) > Delete the 'NinjaTrader 8' folder if it exists", after I have clearly stated that I do not install programs to my system drive, so if I have a now working system, then there is nothing to delete on my system drive.

This is now a working system, restored and being used. I know that if you/we now run a repair install, the system will break. I simply want you to actually see it for yourself. Getting NT8 working is not my issue. My issue is with my inability to repair NT8 by installing it on top of itself if it is not in the default location. Evidently, I do not care if the system breaks. Fixing it is easy with a manual uninstallation and reinstallation, but it does not change the facts. (And without equivocation, I will repeat that I do not need you to tell me how to install any program). You are free to troubleshoot and even destroy my system if the experiments come to that, but please, please, stop telling me how to install any program.

Comment

Hello koganam,

I'm glad to see you've resolved your issue.

I've tested this several times with the latest installation, reinstalling over an existing installation, uninstalling the old installation and reinstalling it on 4 different internal drive on my home PC, then repairing that installation and have been unable to duplicate this error as mentioned. This points to either a corruption in your installation files, the installer you are using to repair the installation or a bad route written into the custom files of your NinjaTrader Installation located in your Documents folder (which may be pointing to files on the C:/ drive which do not exist, hence why i asked that you remove that folder if it exists).

The uninstall and reinstall process is meant to resolve this potential corruption, which is why short of a remote session, which i cannot initiate over the forums, it was the only resolution I can offer here.

If you prefer to work this in a remote session should this situation occur again, please write into PlatformSupport (at) NinjaTrader (dot) com, with a description of your issue, a phone number and time that would be best to reach you (please include the time zone for that time). For future reference please consider using our email support system as we can request more information pertaining to your system that we cannot share to the forums.

You can also send a message directly to the Platform Support team by going to Help> Email Support in the NinjaTrader control center.

Feel free to write in in the future should you need additional assistance.

Comment

Hello koganam,

I'm glad to see you've resolved your issue.

I've tested this several times with the latest installation, reinstalling over an existing installation, uninstalling the old installation and reinstalling it on 4 different internal drive on my home PC, then repairing that installation and have been unable to duplicate this error as mentioned. This points to either a corruption in your installation files, the installer you are using to repair the installation or a bad route written into the custom files of your NinjaTrader Installation located in your Documents folder (which may be pointing to files on the C:/ drive which do not exist, hence why i asked that you remove that folder if it exists).

The uninstall and reinstall process is meant to resolve this potential corruption, which is why short of a remote session, which i cannot initiate over the forums, it was the only resolution I can offer here.

If you prefer to work this in a remote session should this situation occur again, please write into PlatformSupport (at) NinjaTrader (dot) com, with a description of your issue, a phone number and time that would be best to reach you (please include the time zone for that time). For future reference please consider using our email support system as we can request more information pertaining to your system that we cannot share to the forums.

You can also send a message directly to the Platform Support team by going to Help> Email Support in the NinjaTrader control center.

Feel free to write in in the future should you need additional assistance.
                  My issue was NEVER getting NT8 to a usable state, and I did not ask your help to do so. I do not know how else to state this. So no, the issue I raised is NOT resolved. You are claiming credit for resolving an issue that I never raised, because I will never need your help getting a program installed after it has corrupted itself while updating over itself. Now, if you say that you cannot replicate the issue that I raised, that is a valid response. I already had a working system when I made the report. I simply do not want to have to uninstall/reinstall every time that NT8 blows up and I try to repair it by installing over the top of itself. I have done the dance enough times, was tired of doing it, and wanted to not have to do it.

So let us put this clearly:
                  1. I did not ask for help in getting NT8 into a working state, I do not know why you are so focused on that which I did not request, and have repeatedly asked you not to give me instructions to do.
                  2. I did ask to resolve an issue where installing NT8 on top of itself resulted in an error.
                  I offered to demonstrate the problem to you on my system. Instead of taking that up, you come back telling me that we have resolved an issue that I NEVER said was an issue in the first place. Reread our thread. Where did I ever ask for help to get NT8 reinstalled and working?

Comment

Hello koganam,

You have a working support ticket with me regarding this issue. I'll continue to work with you over that support ticket.

Please look for my reply there.

Thank you.

Comment

As Windows 10 seems to grow with every major update, this may become an issue for me also.
                      #Heath Hence could you kindly post the conclusion/resolution here in due course so I know if there are any implications of using a non-default C: installation drive
                      Kind regards,

Comment

Hello Brucerobinson,

Thank you for your post.

To resolve your issue, Please follow the steps listed below to completely uninstall and reinstall NinjaTrader the location it is already installed in.
                        • Reboot your PC.
                        This should resolve the repair error however we recommend repairing from the Windows Control center to test.

To perform a repair of your installation:
                        • Close NinjaTrader
                        • Open the Windows Control Panel
                        • Select the "Uninstall a Program" option under Programs.
                        • In the list, select NinjaTrader 8 and click the "Repair" Option.
                        • Follow the Onscreen Prompts
                        • Once Complete, restart NinjaTrader 8.

Comment

#Heath thanks.
                          Unfortunately this doesn't make much sense (to me).

Firstly - to say that I don't currently have an issue. I was interested in the thread because I do foresee the need to install Ninja to a different drive than default OS in the not too distant future as my OS drive is becoming full (despite only having Windows and NT8 on it) and wanted to know IF there are issues arising when doing so, as #Kogonam was reporting in his case,

From your above: " completely uninstall and reinstall NinjaTrader the location it is already installed in." and then you go on to say in the same set of instructions "During the installation be sure to select the new location you would like to install NinjaTrader to". This is contradictory - which is it - re-install where it was, or choose a new location?

"This should resolve the repair error" What repair error?

To re-frame my request - as and when I find the need to take NT8 off my default C drive installation, and 'migrate it' to a different drive, what are the steps to do that without any errors or the need to Repair, whilst retaining my Setup (custom settings, workspaces etc of my current installation)? Without the need to repair anything or generating any repair errors.

Kind regards,

Comment

Hello Brucerobinson,

To clarify, in your instance you're completely moving an existing installation which means there are files in your custom folders in "documents" that link to the C:/ Drive location. Kogonam had a different error likely resulting from a corruption during install.

There is no way to migrate your installation files to an external drive without uninstalling the program from the C:/ Drive and reinstalling into your external drive location, but this is 100% supported.

The reason for this is the numerous file associations that are created when you install the program are referencing the C:/ drive. you need to completely remove these items in order for the associations in your new location to supersede them.

In Kogonam's case he needed to uninstall and reinstall on his external drive to resolve a corruption so he doesn't need to change the location. In your case you need to remove all references to NinjaTrader 8 on the C"/Program Files (x86) folder after uninstalling to be sure the documents folders do not try to access that default save location.

Additionally in your case, when you reinstall you will still have some references in your Ninjascript Editor that reference the old install location, you'll need to resolve those compile errors after install to ensure the files in your NinjaScript are associated to the files on the (for example D:/ drive) and not the files that are no longer present in the C:/ drive.

To resolve those compile errors for NinjaTrader 8:
                            • Open NinjaTrader
                            • From the Control Center select the New menu--> select NinjaScript Editor
                            • Double click on the Indicators folder--> then double click on any of the indicators
                            • Once the indicator code is in view right click in the window and select Compile to compile all NinjaScript objects
                            • At the bottom of the NinjaScript Editor window, a new section will appear where you can find the error locations.
                            • You'll need to right click in the Editor and select References
                            • In the references window, you'll need to remove any associations for ythe old install location (files that begin with C:/Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 8)
                            • Once you're done click OK then recompile.

Comment

stumbled over this thread and wanted to add my comment.

I experienced exactly the same behaviour as koganam explained. My NT8 installation was initially on D:\somewhere and I downloaded the latest NT8 version to ensure I'm running the latest version. I double-clicked and executed the installation program and it let choose me only "Repair" or "Remove". I clicked "repair" to ensure my current installation can be updated and overwritten with the files of the latest version of that installer. Right after the installer finished I wasn't able to launch NT8 anymore because of the error:

Click image for larger version

Name:	error_commission_templates.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	1118600

I had to completely uninstalled NT8. My custom settings (workspace, connections, commission rates, etc...) still remained and kept intact, so no worry about the uninstallation process. Right after I installed NT8 from scratch and started it for the first time I received this warning message:

Click image for larger version

Name:	error_compiling_custom_assembly.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	1118601

clicked on [OK] button and I was back in bussiness. NT8 worked fine. When closing NT8 and restarting it, that warning message won't appear any more.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                              47 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post aligator  
                              Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                              0 responses