Historical data disappearing when connection active

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Historical data disappearing when connection active

Frustrating issue here; when I start Ninjatrader all of my SPY data from 2008 shows up on the charts just fine. However, as soon as I connect to my broker (TDAmertrade in this case) all but the last month or so of my data disappears from the chart. 'Reload all historical data' does not help to bring it back, nor does anything else short of restarting NT. Having to choose between all historical data showing or being connected to my broker is obviously not a desirable situation, any assistance will be very appreciated. Thank you.

So I may accurately assist you, please answer all of the following questions:
    • What version of NinjaTrader 8 are you using? Please provide the entire version number. This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 8.0.?.?)
    • What interval is selected on your chart? For example, 5 minute, 1 day, 2000 volume, 4 Renko, etc.
    • What is the 'Days to load' setting of your chart?

Comment

Thanks Patrick, here is the information:

1) NT Version: 8.0.22.2 64-bit
      2) Chart interval: 1440 minutes, but tried different intervals without it helping
      3) Days to load: tried custom range, as well as fixed number of days, didn't seem to matter

Comment

To be clear, you see data from 2008 one a minute-based chart while disconnected? If it's not minute-based, whats the interval of the chart on which you see the 2008 data?

The 'days to load' would need to be something like 4500 days to show back to the beginning of 2008. Did you try that many days?

Also, to clarify, you're not able to see historical data beyond 30 days even if your 'days to load' is larger than that? Let's say, 365 days?

Comment

I've experimented a bit further; I can connect to TD Ameritrade and the historical data will stay on the chart if I uncheck "Get data from server" in the Market Data options, but if that option is enabled then all historical data before early May disappears upon connection to TD Ameritrade.

Also, to answer your questions:

Yes, I see the data from 2008 on a minute based chart when disconnected or connected and "Get data from server" is unchecked. (1440 minutes per bar, but I've tried other minute intervals and it hasn't changed the behavior)

Yes, I've tried 5000 days to load as well as a custom data range. Days to load seems to have no effect on the behavior.

Comment

That was going to be my next step - the amount of historical data available from TD Ameritrade's servers is what is 'hiding' the data. With that said, I've been attempting to reproduce this on my end with TD Ameritrade and have been unable to do so. I followed these steps:
            • Connect to Kinetick > Download AAPL data from 1/1/2015-6/1/2015
            • Disconnect from Kinetick > Open AAPL 240 minute chart > Observe the data I've downloaded is present
            • Connect to TD Ameritrade > AAPL chart now automatically downloads the historical data which is available from TDA (about 30 days - back to May 4th 2020)
            • Still observe the data from 2015 on my chart: https://www.screencast.com/t/HJcMiw7Eo0
            If you clear your cache, does the symptom persist? To delete the cache, follow the steps below.
            • Shut down NinjaTrader.
            • Open the Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > db folder.
            • Delete the sub-folder named 'cache'.
            • Restart NinjaTrader and test.

Comment

Deleted the cache and the issue still persists (I tried this before posting this issue, actually). For now I can get away with keeping "Get data from server" unchecked I guess, but I'm not sure that's a good long term solution.

Quick observation - I saw that in the latest NT release (which I just applied yesterday) that the TDA connection was one of the biggest changes. However, when I updated nothing new seemed to be required of me, which sort of surprised me. While this is handy in terms of convenience, now I'm kind of wondering if maybe I should have made a new TDA connection and/or if my old one, which appears to be working, is in fact not working 100% with the new changes for TDA that were in the new NT release. Thoughts/comments??

Comment

You would not have needed to make any changes with the API update. The 'biggest' change would have been a few releases ago when we changed to the authorization method of log on. I'd like to continue troubleshooting this with more detail than we can share on the public forums.

Please send me your log and trace files so that I may look into what occurred.
                • You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support
                • Ensuring 'Log and Trace Files' is checked will include these files. This is checked by default.
                • Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 2611753 ATTN PatrickG

Comment

Trace and log files sent, Patrick - thanks

Comment

Calebg , that method of sending files may actually not be working at the moment. Try sending them to PlatformSupport[AT]NinjaTrader[DOT]com. Be sure to include "2611753 ATTN PatrickG" in your email:
                    • Open Windows File Explorer (hotkey = Windows key + E) Then navigate to, "Documents" (sometimes called, "My Documents") > 'NinjaTrader 8' folder
                    • Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
                    • Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to this email.
                    • Once complete, you can delete these compressed folders.

Comment

Sent! Thanks again

Comment

Updating this thread with a link to a new thread, which I believe covers this issue:
                        In recent weeks I have experienced two issues which I thought we separate and unrelated, but upon further review I believe that are actually intrinsically tied. The ultimate result is that since the TDA api change, charts will not show all of my historical data if using a TDA connection. I recently files these two issues:

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by algospoke, 04-17-2024, 06:40 PM
                        6 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post algospoke  
                        Started by arvidvanstaey, Today, 02:19 PM
                        4 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post arvidvanstaey