Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

volumetric - ticks per level

Hello,

I start the question with apologizing about.
    With my translation from english I have no idea what the "ticks per level" in the volumetric parameters is. I read the help guide, I read threads but I dont get it.
    Can someone from support show me - maybe not only fore me(?) - with an example what is the idea, the difference, the use, the purpose....
    I coded me indicators/tools from volumetric showing absorption, showing aggression, showing responsive action.... but I dont understand the ticks per level of the bars, lol.

Thank you!
    Tony

Hello tonynt.

Thanks for your post.

The ticks per level is a means to aggregate (compress) the data by the number of ticks. Simply put it is how many "price" tick level so you want to see per bar. At a setting of 1, this is the most granular and you will see every tick in the bar and the volumes at each tick level. If you set it to 4 ticks, on the ES, then the data presented then would be aggregated on a per point basis. This is a visual indicator setting to help you decide what is the best "display" for you. This is a display option for those that do not want or need to see every tick level data. I suggest that you try variations of ticks per level on a chart and see what works best for you. You can always change as needed.

I've created a short video to assist: https://paul-ninjatrader.tinytake.co...MF8xMzg1Nzc3OA

From the help guide:

"Ticks per level - Sets the level of aggregation for individual price levels, i.e. if price levels should be merged together, default 1 – so each price level delta result is seen individually inside the price bars (Please note that with a higher Ticks per level set, there could be Volumetric remainder cells as a result that are actually smaller than your set Ticks per level, as not all bar ranges could be evenly divisible by the Ticks per level value)" Reference: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...etric_bars.htm

Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Paul,

thank you for the video. Its clear now. So its like "showing range bars within minute bars". I watch it and think how this helps for seeing things different.

One question more please: it does not happen eg every 15 min that it consists of TicksPerLevel-Boxes eg there "should be" 16 ticks in a 15 min bar to have in the "4-Ticks-Per-Level". So when the "normal" 15 min bar has eg a range from low to high with 14 ticks how is then the volumetric bar with setting "4-Ticks-Per-Level" looking? One price in the "4-Ticks-Per-Level" doesnt have then 4 Ticks. Yes/No? How is it plotting, which one is having less bids and asks?

Thank you for your support!

Tony
      Last edited by tonynt; 06-19-2020, 01:29 AM. Reason: add question

Comment

Hello tonynt,

Thanks for your reply.

Regarding, "One question more please: it does not happen eg every 15 min that it consists of TicksPerLevel-Boxes eg there "should be" 16 ticks in a 15 min bar to have in the "4-Ticks-Per-Level". So when the "normal" 15 min bar has eg a range from low to high with 14 ticks how is then the volumetric bar with setting "4-Ticks-Per-Level" looking? One price in the "4-Ticks-Per-Level" doesnt have then 4 Ticks. Yes/No? How is it plotting, which one is having less bids and asks?"

This is addressed in the help guide which I previous posted, here is the applicable section, "Please note that with a higher Ticks per level set, there could be Volumetric remainder cells as a result that are actually smaller than your set Ticks per level, as not all bar ranges could be evenly divisible by the Ticks per level value)" I have attached a screenshot that shows 2 15-minute bars on the ES with the ticks per level set to 4. In these two bars, you can see the top level of the bar, on the left is 2 ticks (0.50 price) and the bar on the right is 1 tick (0.25 price), these are the "remainder cells" as specified by the help guide note.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tonynt-8.PNG
Views:	602
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1105732

Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Paul,

thank you for your explanation. This is exactly the logic I thought. Clear now!

Thank you for your support!
          Tony

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by josh18955, 03-25-2023, 11:16 AM
          6 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Delerium  
          Started by FAQtrader, Today, 03:35 PM
          0 responses