Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

(Trend) Lines moving/getting displaced on volume charts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello pev11,

Thank you for your reply.

It has been determined to be expected behavior by our developers because the anchor point for the trend line is not attached to anything when you are drawing into future rather than attaching to an existing piece of data. This is, in fact, a feature request. I'd be happy to add your vote, but I cannot change the fact that this is not considered to be a bug.

If you'd like me to add your vote, please let me know and I'd be happy to do so.
    Zachary S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the quick response!

Please keep in mind that I am not able to reproduce this problem in the old NT7.

Today I had the same Tick charts setup side by side running simultaneously in realtime on both NT7 and NT8. The trend lines in the old NT7 chart remained in place, while the trend lines in NT8 shifted several times as price moved and they had to be realigned.

This is why I question the "expected behavior" logic. In NT7 I can draw a trend line that is not attached to anything but it remains exactly where it was into the "future". What causes this behavior in NT8 but not NT7?

Comment

Hello pev11,

NinjaTrader 8 was completely rebuilt from the ground up and NinjaTrader 7's charting does not behave this way. According to our documentation regarding this behavior, when anchors for a line are drawn into the future, those anchor points do not yet exist and are on an estimated position on the chart. As the chart continues to build and approach the end anchor for the line, the drawing object is adjusting to sit in the 'correct position' on the chart once the data for that anchor point actually does exist.

To use an example, if you draw a line at, what you would expect to be, 10 seconds into the feature on a 1 second chart, you would do so expecting that each second would have a bar there. However, if only 3 of those seconds had ticks of data, then that bar would occur 7 bars sooner than you expect.

Comment

The developers have determined that it's not a bug.
          LOL. Not trying to be offensive or rude, but LOL.

I often get the feeling that those who designed NinjaTrader do not have sufficient experience trading or are willing to listen to the needs of those who actually trade with their software.

Fortunately, trend lines isn't a big thing for my trading, but I feel for those who use it a lot.

Comment

It's understandable that Ninja trader 8 has been written from scratch and certain functionality will behave different from NT7. However, this is something very fundamental and any person who uses charting software would expect it to behave as it actually did in the prior version NT7. Why are the anchor points and lines drawn "into the future" not a problem in NT7?

The fact that this problem happens in NT8 but not in the previous version indicates this is a regression. I am having to adjust trend lines constantly throughout the day on all my tick charts. This is unacceptable!

This is a flaw in the charting portion of Ninjatrader 8. It should be labeled as a bug and it should have the highest priority assigned.

Thank you.

Comment

Hello pev11,

I want to be clear that this behavior is something that is indeed present in NinjaTrader 7, but manifests itself differently. Anchors drawn into the future in NinjaTrader 7 can result the drawing object shifting from the approximate location to the 'correct' location when you save and reopen your workspace.

Please let me know if you'd like me to add your vote to the open feature request for this.

Comment

Yes, I am aware that this can happen in NT7 as per your example and I believe when reloading data or similar actions. However, this is completely acceptable because unlike NT8, one does not have to continuously adjust the trend lines every few minutes.

If the dev team can make this behave as it does in NT7 that would be just fine. But as it is right now, this is just not acceptable. This is currently preventing me from switching to NT8.

Yes, please add my vote, my comments, etc, whatever it takes to fix this issue as soon as possible.

Comment

Hello pev11,

Your vote has been added to STF-5004.

As with all feature requests, interest is tracked before implementation is considered, so we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment. If implemented, it will be noted in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide.

Release Notes — https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Thank you for your suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Zachary View Post
                    Hello pev11,

Your vote has been added to STF-5004.

As with all feature requests, interest is tracked before implementation is considered, so we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment. If implemented, it will be noted in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide.

Release Notes — https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Thank you for your suggestion.
                    add me to the vote list, having trend lines move is extremely annoying.

Comment

Hello carmelscene,

I've added a vote on your behalf.

Comment

1 1/2 years later and I don't think anything changed. Wouldn't hold my breath to be honest.

Comment

Considering the age of this thread, I'm not expecting much, but I'd like my vote added to this as well. I find it quite tedious to have to continuously redraw my lines.

Comment

Hello pshift,

I've added a vote on your behalf.​
                            Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by pshift View Post
                              Considering the age of this thread, I'm not expecting much, but I'd like my vote added to this as well. I find it quite tedious to have to continuously redraw my lines.
                              Maybe in 10 years. LOL.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by pmachiraju, 11-01-2023, 04:46 AM
                              8 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rehmans
                              by rehmans

Started by mattbsea, Today, 05:44 PM
                              0 responses