Order Entry and Hot Keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Order Entry and Hot Keys

My current order entry setup consists of a 4 step process to submit an order at a desired level above or below market price. First I navigate my mouse cross hair to where I want to submit an order. Second I right click and make my way down to buy/sell limit. Third I left click on the order which brings up my order quantity icon. Fourth I navigate my mouse to the little check mark and left click to submit the current order (or occasionally just try to be quick hitting the enter button to submit)

I'm writing here because I'm struggling to find a faster way to execute this process. I've tried the hot key setup for buy/sell market but the fact that it will ONLY submit an order at current market price, ask or bid doesn't fit well with my strategy. I don't feel as if slippage is really that big of a deal but sometimes when the volume is high the action is happening very quickly and I may want to gain a position, I usually am not looking to get in at market price. I typically look to submit a limit order within 2-3 ticks above or below market price depending on the action.

With that being said I know I have a few other options of submitting an order. I could use the DOM to submit an order but I am paying much more attention to candlesticks than I am actual numbers and seeing that many numbers at one time very close together like in the DOM it just ends up slowing me down for now until I learn that method better. I know I could also just right click and submit an order well above or below where I want my entry point to be and click + move order to where I'd like to enter in but when things are moving fast, even that method can cause some fumbling.

Ideally I'd love to have the ability to hot key and simply execute a limit order at the position of my mouse cross hair, even without having to confirm my order quantity being that my quantity is already selected in the chart trader window. I'm aware that as of now this ability doesn't exist...at least not that I am aware of. I'm also aware that if someone knows how to write different scripts well that there is a possibility someone could program this in but I don't know how to write my own scripts for those types of changes.

Is there a better method to achieve my order entry goal that fits within my current trading strategy?

Thanks for all tips, tricks and suggestions!!!!

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

The dialog that asks the quantity is actually where you would specify an offset. When submitting a stop-limit order, a numeric field will appear, allowing you to set the limit offset of the order (the number of ticks away at which you wish to place the Limit price of the Stop-Limit order). Either by using your mouse scroll wheel or clicking on the up/down arrows in the numeric field, set the number of ticks and press the checkmark button to complete the order submission. For example, if you intend to place an order with a buy Stop price of 1000 and a Limit price of 1001 (4 ticks for the S&P E-mini contract), you would set the numeric field value to 4. Following the same example and submitting a sell stop-limit order, setting the numeric field value to 4 would result in a stop price of 1000 and a limit price of 999. Pressing the "X" button will cancel the order submission operation.

Here is the help guide to assist you with Submitting Orders in the Chart Trader window.

You can disable this setting by right clicking on ChartTrader> Properties and setting a "Predefined stop limit offset" value. This would take that step out of play with using the right click menu to submit orders on a chart.

Otherwise, there wouldn't be a hot key functionality for cursor positioned limit orders by default in the platform and would likely need custom programming logic to do so with NinjaScript.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any other NinjaTrader inquiries you may have.
    Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Marco View Post
      Hello,

Thanks for your post.

The dialog that asks the quantity is actually where you would specify an offset. When submitting a stop-limit order, a numeric field will appear, allowing you to set the limit offset of the order (the number of ticks away at which you wish to place the Limit price of the Stop-Limit order). Either by using your mouse scroll wheel or clicking on the up/down arrows in the numeric field, set the number of ticks and press the checkmark button to complete the order submission. For example, if you intend to place an order with a buy Stop price of 1000 and a Limit price of 1001 (4 ticks for the S&P E-mini contract), you would set the numeric field value to 4. Following the same example and submitting a sell stop-limit order, setting the numeric field value to 4 would result in a stop price of 1000 and a limit price of 999. Pressing the "X" button will cancel the order submission operation.

Here is the help guide to assist you with Submitting Orders in the Chart Trader window.

You can disable this setting by right clicking on ChartTrader> Properties and setting a "Predefined stop limit offset" value. This would take that step out of play with using the right click menu to submit orders on a chart.

Otherwise, there wouldn't be a hot key functionality for cursor positioned limit orders by default in the platform and would likely need custom programming logic to do so with NinjaScript.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any other NinjaTrader inquiries you may have.
      This is what I'm trying to do i have the free license from a trading combine company does this work with this version? Im only able to use stop limit offsets on right click orders not using the hotkeys

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

As Marco described, unfortunately there is no way to submit a Stop Limit order at your mouse's position using a hot key. We will certainly leave this topic open in case other users have tools they may want to recommend.

That being said, if you set a predefined stop limit offset in the Chart Trader Properties menu then you wold no longer need to manually configure that value for each order and could place the order with two clicks (right-click->stop limit). This would work with your license key.

Here is a brief demonstration of that process:

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.
        Melissa J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by caacapital View Post

This is what I'm trying to do i have the free license from a trading combine company does this work with this version? Im only able to use stop limit offsets on right click orders not using the hotkeys
          While NT is correct with everything they have said, one option that might be easier than custom programming is using scripting. AHK (auto hot key) is a program that can certainly help you accomplish this and would be something you could script (or if you ended up hiring someone would cost you considerably less) ... we did a demo of that here, where we connected a google home device to execute trades using auto hot key ... might spark some ideas based on what you mentioned: https://youtu.be/0eQeieWKQgE
          xabcdtrading
          NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - XABCD trading

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by judysamnt7, 03-13-2023, 09:11 AM
          4 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post DynamicTest  
          Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 06:52 PM
          4 responses