Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Can I build & backtest an auto trading strategy with just the free platform download?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I build & backtest an auto trading strategy with just the free platform download?

Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible to build and backtest an automated trading strategy from the free platform or do I need to purchase a license and fund an account first in order to access this capability? I'm just looking to build and test first before I purchase one (if possible) and then connect to my broker's API. Thanks!

hello Slim Charles, You can build ,backtest strategy on Ninjatrader 8 Simulated Trading Account with either Kinetick or Simulated Data Feed for Free, No licence required. It is more or less the NinjaTrader 8 demo version.

Comment

Perfect. Thank you, Emma1!

Comment

Originally posted by Emma1 View Post
        hello Slim Charles, You can build ,backtest strategy on Ninjatrader 8 Simulated Trading Account with either Kinetick or Simulated Data Feed for Free, No licence required. It is more or less the NinjaTrader 8 demo version.
        Wait, sorry. I just want to clarify. I can build a trading bot (under Strategy Builder and Unlock Code) and test it with the free platform?

Comment

Welcome to the forums Slim Charles,

You may develop and backtest strategies with the SIM license key, a Leased license, or Lifetime license. You may not do so with the Free Edition license.

License Comparison - https://ninjatrader.com/LicenseComparison

We look forward to assisting.
          JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jim View Post
            Welcome to the forums Slim Charles,

You may develop and backtest strategies with the SIM license key, a Leased license, or Lifetime license. You may not do so with the Free Edition license.

License Comparison - https://ninjatrader.com/LicenseComparison

Hi Jim,

Thank you for clarifying but I'm having trouble finding the price for the SIM license key as it says on the website it is free or am I looking in the wrong place?

Comment

Hello Slim Charles,

I have included the SIM key here: @SIM-A82F-D583-40B1-AE74-B79F-705D-1952

Comment

Hello Slim Charles,

Thank you so much, Jim. And with this SIM key, I'll have access to the Strategy Builder and Script Editor/Code Unlock features to build a bot to backtest?

Comment

Yes, this is correct.

Comment

Awesome. Thank you again!

Comment

Yes, this is correct.
                      Sorry, Jim. One more question. Does the SIM license only include EOD (end of day) data? Will I need to purchase historical data to test from Kinetick?

Comment

Hello Slim Charles,

This would be controlled by your data provider and would not be controlled by the license key. You could consider the following options to get data:

1. Use a 2 week demo account for futures data (provided by CQG) You can request a demo account for data here - https://ninjatrader.com/FreeLiveData
                        2. Open a NinjaTrader Brokerage account. This will allow you to download historical data from our historical data servers. You may also enable realtime data when opening a brokerage account to get realtime data for forward testing.
                        3. Subscribe to a market data provider service, like Kinetick
                        4. Download historical data from another provider for historical data and import it. Importing - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...?importing.htm

Comment

Really appreciate the detailed response. Thank you so much!

Comment

Hello Slim Charles,

hello, jim, i have open a demo account for ninjatrader 8 and like to have also the possibility to can check a strategy to see if it good to used Ninjatrader 8

i am moore thna happy when i get also the possibility to can check something for free - i mean when all ok, i will buy of course the lifetime version!

Comment

Hello xallios,

If you have a SIM license key added, or a Trader + enabled license added, you can run backtests on NinjaScript strategies.

Backtest a strategy - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...a_strategy.htm

Please note that strategies must be created first before you can run a backtest. If you have additional questions on backtesting and creating automated strategies, please open a thread in our Strategy Development forums.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post algospoke  
                              Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes