Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DCA / scale in, entry grid.

Hi,

I can't find a tool to do a multiple entry in NT8. This is a very common tool in the Crypto space, so there must be a way to do this in NT8.

It means that with one entry at a certain price point, multiple other limit orders are submitted as well.

So for example: going long, i enter a limit order for 1 contract at 1500, and automatically there are 3 other limit orders submitted below that, all equally spaced apart.

Usually there is an setting options for the amount of limit orders, ticks apart and percentage increase / decrease of the number of contracts per level.

I saw some tool that could do something like this, but nothing that has this as it's base function.

Since DCA is a very common strategy, there must be something like this out there?

Ideas?

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

You would be able to create a NinjaScript Strategy with the strategy builder to achieve such functionality. More information can be found below in our Help Guide article regarding this topic:

Understand the fundamentals of basic strategy creation by developing an actual strategy using the NinjaTrader Strategy Builder.2:45 Opening a Strategy Builde...

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.
    Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hmmm... Can't believe there is nothing like this out there in the NT space. It's a very basic functionality.
      You just gave me a link to generic strategy building. This is not an indicator. Could you provide me with an example of an entry strategy to help me along?

Comment

Hello GKRuubster,

Thanks for your reply.

We do not have an example strategy for multiple entries. To accomplish your goal, you would need to create your initial entry condition and then submit the initial order along with your other limit orders. In the managed approach, limit orders are automatically canceled if not filled in the bar that they are submitted so this means you would need to add further logic to continue placing the orders until they are filled.

Here are some links for using the "Strategy Builder" which is a nonprogramming interface to create strategies In NinjaTrader8. If this does not meet your needs then you could create a strategy directly in Ninjscript which is based on C# programming language.
        Free live webinar every other Thursday at 4:00 PM EST, through this link to all webinars: https://ninjatrader.com/PlatformTraining
        Previous recording of the Strategy Builder 301 webinar: https://youtu.be/HCyt90GAs9k?list=PL...auWXkWe0Nf&t=2
        Help guide for the strategy builder: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...gy_builder.htm

Please note that the Strategy builder and most strategies run under the 'Managed Approach" which "...is designed to offer the greatest ease of use for beginner to intermediate programmers. The order methods are wrapped in a convenience layer that allows you to focus on your system's trading rules, leaving the underlying mechanics of order management and the relationships between entry orders, exit orders, and positions to NinjaTrader. This approach is best suited for simple to moderate order complexity, and can be further broken down into a Basic/Common Managed approach and a more Advanced Managed approach. " Please review the documentation to best understand. Reference: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...d_approach.htm
        Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I take up this subject again - it is quite astonishing that this feature of placing several limit orders in the market at the same time via an order template does not exist in NT8. Other software has been able to do this for a long time. Why is it that Ninjatrader is always behind for years when it comes to such basics? Yes, yes, I know it has to be put on the list so that it can be implemented in programming at some point in 10 years or so :-( This is annoying...

Comment

Hello Leafcutter,

Thanks for your post.

To accomplish your goal you would need to create a custom script using Ninjascript which is based on C# programming language.

If you would like something created for you, we can provide a link to 3rd party programmers in the NinjaTrader Ecosystem.

If you would like to get started with programming in Ninjascript we can provide links to the help guide section where you can review the methods and properties you would need along with useful examples.

I will create a platform feature request for a means to place several limit orders at once. If this already exists, your vote will be added to it. I will update this thread when I have the feature request ID number (which can be used for future inquiries).

Feature Request Disclaimer
            We receive many requests and cannot reasonably implement all requested features or changes. Interest is tracked internally and if enough interest is tracked, it would be weighed against how feasible it would be to make those changes to consider implementing.
            When new features are implemented, they will be listed in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide. The ID number will be different than the internal feature request tracking ID, but the description of the feature will let you know if that feature has been implemented.
            Release Notes - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Comment

Hello Leafcutter and anyone else following this thread,

I've attached an educational example of an indicator that will add a button to the chart trade that when pressed will place a variable number of buy limit orders below the current close price at a specified distance apart. When applied, the user can choose the number of orders and the spacing, in ticks, between the orders. It will automatically use the account the chart trader is set to. This educational example will only place buy limit entry orders and no other orders are applied as this is only to demonstrate how an array of orders can be placed using the methods and properties contained in the custom script.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MultiEntryExample.PNG
Views:	670
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1182079

[ATTACH]n1182080[/ATTACH]

Comment

Hello Leafcutter,

Thanks for your patience.

This is Brandon responding on behalf of Paul who is out of the office at this time.

The internal tracking number for your feature request is SFT-5395. Please reference this internal tracking number when contacting Platform Support if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find a description of the new feature in the release notes:Let us know if we may assist further.
                Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Leafcutter and anyone else following this thread,

I've attached an educational example of an indicator that will add a button to the chart trade that when pressed will place a variable number of buy limit orders below the current close price at a specified distance apart. When applied, the user can choose the number of orders and the spacing, in ticks, between the orders. It will automatically use the account the chart trader is set to. This educational example will only place buy limit entry orders and no other orders are applied as this is only to demonstrate how an array of orders can be placed using the methods and properties contained in the custom script.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1182079[/ATTACH]
                  Hello PaulH / BrandonH,

Could you please help with a link to this MultiEntryExample indicator posted?

Thanks.

Comment

Hello malrt79,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader forums!

The download link is in post #7 and is the text below the chart screenshot.

If that does not work, please try a different browser. I use google chrome and I can see and download the link.

Comment

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your response and welcome.

Unfortunately, it is only a text and not a URL [ATTACH]n1182080[/ATTACH]. I am on Google Chrome. Perhaps you could re-attach it, please.

Much thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by malrt79 View Post
                        Hello Paul,

Thank you for your response and welcome.

Unfortunately, it is only a text and not a URL [ATTACH]n1182080[/ATTACH]. I am on Google Chrome. Perhaps you could re-attach it, please.

Much thanks.
                        Please you can ignore it. I modified the URL pointing to the PNG and was able to fetch the indicator sample, thanks.

Comment

Hi Paul, I am having a problem downloading your MultiEntryExample as well, when I click on the link it downloads fine but after I import to Ninjatrader it does not show up anywhere in Ninjatrader
                          Can you help?

Thank You
                          Joe

Comment

Hello 1jlprop,

Thank you for your note.

That script is an indicator and once imported, it may be applied to a chart that has Chart Trader active from the right click on chart > Indicators menu.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance to you.
                            Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Guys, i would like to catch up on this topic. Has anyone successfully coded the DCA strategy in ninjascript?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Perr0Grande, Today, 08:16 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Perr0Grande  
                              Started by elderan, Today, 08:03 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post elderan