Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to move my NinjaTrader 8 directory to another location

Hi,

I'm using a demo version of NinjaTrader 8. I'm at the latest version.

Is there a way to move the directory C:\\... \Documents\Ninja Trader 8 and NinjaTrader 8 Backup to the D: drive.
    I'm asking as my C drive is an SSD which have less memory than my D drive so it get full quickly.

Thanks
    Enrico

Hello Enrico,

Thank you for your post.

NinjaTrader will always install it's files to your Documents folder default location. It is not possible to change this hard-coding. With that said, it is possible to redirect your default Documents directory within Windows. If this is something you are interested in doing, a web search for 'How to redirect default documents folder' will provide a wealth of how-to articles. You will likely have to reinstall NinjaTrader once the redirect is complete.
    Zachary S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Move your NT files to any location that you would like then use a symbolic link using mklink to the folder path NT looks for

Reference article for the mklink command, which creates a directory or file symbolic or hard link.

Comment

You cutzpr and ab absolute star! This looks like just the thing that can solve a number of what seemed like insurmountable issues for me. Trouble is - i don't understand it! Thank you for the pointer anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Swing123 View Post
          You cutzpr and ab absolute star! This looks like just the thing that can solve a number of what seemed like insurmountable issues for me. Trouble is - i don't understand it! Thank you for the pointer anyway.
          There are GUIs that accomplish the same thing. Take a look at these. These are from a quick search. I have no affiliation.

Comment

Thanks cutzpr, that's very helpful. Thanks you for the links. I am pretty low skilled on the PC front, but I have actually surprised myself and managed to do it through CMD prompt using mklink. I have been struggling about how to encrypt the D: of my laptop that has 2 drives, while having the Docs folder sat on it. After some testing I've found the way around this for me, is to 1. Create an encrypted volume on the D: rather than doing the whole drive. 2. Mount the folder. 3. Change the location of the Docs folder to the drive letter used by the encrypted folder. 4. Create a softlink (using mklink function) in the D: to reroute NT8 and other apps to the encrypted folder. It's probably a caveman's way of doign it but it seems to work for me.

I would also like to encrypt the C: but it looks very messing if you want to create back up images, or if it ever crashed and you wanted to reinstate an image (using WinPE, etc), which is currently beyond me and probably not worth the hassle. The Appdata is something i would like to move to the D, but ithink it will cause too many conflicts and other issues for it to be really worth it.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by algospoke, 04-17-2024, 06:40 PM
            6 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post algospoke  
            Started by arvidvanstaey, Today, 02:19 PM
            4 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post arvidvanstaey