Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enter and Exit a strategy on a timely manner

Hi There,

I have a strategy that it's based on UniRenko (default) + 15-min bar chart (as secondary series). How do I include the following conditions in my strategy?

1- Wait till the first 5-min passes. If my conditions are not met, don't take any positions till the next new 15-min bar comes in
    2- If a position is taken, then don't take another one till the next new 15-min bar comes in

Thank you..

Hello Abdullah_KSA,

Thanks for your post.

In Item 1, did you mean the first 5 minutes or first 15-minute bar?

Can you clarify if you are working in the Strategy Builder or the Ninjascript editor to create the strategy?

Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PaulH View Post
      Hello Abdullah_KSA,

Thanks for your post.

In Item 1, did you mean the first 5 minutes or first 15-minute bar?

Can you clarify if you are working in the Strategy Builder or the Ninjascript editor to create the strategy?
      Thank you .. Paul for your kind and prompt reply

Item#1 is related to the first 5 minutes (of the 15 minutes bar). So, don't take any positions, if the first 5 minutes passes, and my conditions are not met (wait till the next 15 minutes bar shows up).

I use the script editor manually (not the Strategy Builder). However, my coding knowledge is very modest. I'd really appreciate highlighting the major commands to be used. I can look'em up, and try to educate myself about them. I'd be very thankful if you can generously code it and share it here

Comment

Hello Abdullah_KSA,

Thanks for your reply.

While we cannot provide script writing service, what I can suggest is to also add a 5-minute bar series to provide a way to note when the 5 minute period is up.

You would need to use bool variables (that are either true or false) when the 15-minute bar has called the OnBarUpdate(). This would be when BarsInProgress ==1, at that moment you could set a bool to be true indicating a new 15 minute period and you would use that bool being true as part of your entry conditions.

You would set the bool to false under the condition of placing an order, to prevent further orders until the next 15-minute bar or if the 5-minute bar (BarsInProgress == 2 (assuming you added it second)) calls OnBarUpDate().

You'll likely have to play with the logic a bit as the sequence of which data series call OnBarUpdate() is not always in the order that you might think so definitely be prepared to debug with print statements that show the BarsInProgress.

If you are not familiar with multi-series/Time-frames coding, I highly recommend reviewing the help guide here: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...nstruments.htm

Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you, Paul
          This is really helpful. I shall give it a shot, and revert back with the outcomes
          Appreciate your insights

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by suroot, 04-10-2017, 02:18 AM
          4 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post truepenny  
          Started by Stanfillirenfro, Today, 07:23 AM
          1 response
          0 likes