Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Where Are Settings for Applied Strategies Backed Up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where Are Settings for Applied Strategies Backed Up?

Hello NT8 Platform Support,

When we apply a custom Strategy (.cs file) to a chart, where are the settings for the applied strategy saved?

I have examined the workspace .xml backup / recovery files, and the strategies I use on my charts are not found in the XML content.

My reason for asking is that on several recent occasions I have opened a chart only to have the strategy completely missing -- as if never applied to that chart. This usually follows an incident where NT8 "hanged" and the only way to close NT8 was to end the task in TaskManager. So clearly, something didn't get written to disk.

My assumption had been that like indicator settings, strategy settings would also be saved in the workspace backup XML files. This has not proved correct, however. I realize that saving as a strategy template would save the settings, but this is not part of saving a workspace and must be performed manually.

Thank you for clarifying.
    Last edited by D Trader; 07-11-2020, 09:48 AM.

Hello D Trader,

The strategy parameters are saved in the database. The workspace just keeps a list of the strategy instance ids and the chart bar index the strategy is associated with.

Are there any errors when saving the workspace, such as xml errors?
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for your reply Chelsea. No XML errors that I am aware of.

But if strategies are saved to the database, then if NT8 crashes without any changes being made to the strategy or workspace beforehand, I would expect the strategy to still be there the next time I start NT8 -- correct?

That is not what happens, however. The strategy just disappears from the chart... as if it had never been added prior to the last save / planned exit of NT8. This has happened more than once.

Comment

Hello D Trader,

If NinjaTrader crashes likely the strategy id will not be saved in the workspace, and the final shutdown writes to the database will not be done.

I would expect that these would disappear from the chart and from the Strategies tab of the Control Center if NinjaTrader crashes instead of being shutdown.

I would recommend addressing the crashing. It may be coming from a specific script.

Comment

Yes, thanks. I will address the crashing... although sometimes apps like NT8 just "hang" and must be forced to shut down for no obvious reason.

But the real question is why content previously saved to the database would be affected by the application crashing. If there is no additional write to the database, one would assume the original content remains in its prior state. That is how other databases work. Why would NT8 resiliency be any less? Thank you.

Comment

Hello D Trader,

I would not expect NinjaTrader 8 to hang when using a new clean workspace with no 3rd party (or custom) addons running and only NinjaScripts made by NinjaTrader.

This may be a good place to test and start with as a baseline.

Below is a link to a forum post with steps to restart with a saved workspace. (Be sure to restart as this will release the memory)

Let me know if you are able to reproduce with a new clean workspace that has no 3rd addons.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by yertle, Today, 08:38 AM
            6 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post ryjoga
            by ryjoga

Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
            2 responses