RTH open and overnight high and low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RTH open and overnight high and low

Hi, does NT8 have an indicator that can automatically draw a line at the current RTH sessions open and the Overnight Hi and Lo level? Just to be clear I'm not looking for the globex open and the overall high and low.

Where can I find this? Name of indicator? Thanks!

No.
    The only way to do this is to use 2 data series in the same chart panel. Simply put, you will have one data series with RTH trading hours, and one with overnight hours (you will need to create your own Custom Trading Hours template for the latter). You then attach a Current OHL indicator to each data series, set the RTH one to show the RTH Open and overnight one to show H/L and Bob is your uncle.
    There is a Ninja video on using multiple data series which is helpful.
    There is/are third party indicators that can do it (Lizard Indicators' Sessions indicator iirc, no affiliation, only recommendation, probably others) but afaik they do the same programmatically.

An alternative you might want to be aware of, for consideration depending on your needs, would be to use a single data series and Current OHL for RTH and Ninja add-on 'Repeater v2'. This draws boxes for Sessions which can be Dynamic Range. So you can set the time start/end time for the Overnight Session with Dynamic Range and shade and border the area low to high - but you don't get Lines, so you can't project the levels forward over the Day Session.

I use both approaches - multiple data series for Session ranges Current and Prior OHLC, colour-shaded using Repeater Dynamic Range.

The downside is complexity. If you have any problems with your setup Support will then point to this complexity as reason for these.

There is a Feature Request for the ability to display the Overnight, RTH and Globex Sessions independently and concurrently to be competitive with other offerings. I encourage you to ask for your Vote to be added.

However Ninja is not receptive to the need/demand for this, putting forward the justification that Users requested ETH over and to the exclusion of RTH.
    Search the Forum on the topic and you'll find the evidence suggest otherwise.

Good trading :-)

Comment

brucerobinson Thank you for that explanation. I tried to set up the Globex Hi/LO using the "Current day OHL" but its "trading hours" seems to be defaulted to price chart Trading Hours. There isn't a drop menu for me to change it in the Current Day OHL indicator. Hence when I tried to set up Current Day OHL for the Open Price, that didn't work either. Did you use a custom indicator or the built in Current Day OHL from NT8? Thanks!

Comment

built in OHL.
        Assuming you've done all the steps to add another data series which has the trading hours template
        looking at mine and 'no drop down menu' - it is confusing that there is not, I agree. Hover your mouse over the Input Series Field itself and it will display 'Edit Series' instead of your current contract. Then you'll get a new menu with your Data Series listed

Comment

Here are some relevant links which cover how to apply multiple data series as well as 'hiding' the second data series:

Comment

brucerobinson NinjaTrader_PatrickG thanks both...i'll try this out over the wknd hopefully!
            ​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by brucerobinson View Post
              .... and overnight one to show H/L ...
              Hi Bruce, thanks for your explanation. The ON H/L is drawn, but it is draw on the ON bars, not in the RTH area. Does this work the same for you, or is there a setting to see the ON H/L lines in RTH?
              Cheers
              Dennis

Comment

Dennis - from what you describe I hazard a guess you mean the H/L is drawn during ON as it unfolds (i.e. stair-steps) but once the ON H/L is 'in' after the Open doesn't then extend forward into RTH. If yes, change your Line Style to Horizontal Line and it will simply draw the H/L for the ON data, whatever that is, whenever it is i.e. what it 'is' in real time during the ON (not what it 'was' as well), and then what it was (and still therefore is) until the Close. Does what it says.....

Comment

Dennis - from what you describe I hazard a guess you mean the H/L is drawn during ON as it unfolds (i.e. stair-steps) but once the ON H/L is 'in' after the Open doesn't then extend forward into RTH. If yes, change your Line Style to Horizontal Line and it will simply draw the H/L for the ON data, whatever that is, whenever it is i.e. what it 'is' in real time during the ON (not what it 'was' as well), and then what it was (and still therefore is) until the Close. Does what it says.....
                  Thank you for your quick response. It does then indeed draw the horizontal line, but I would like to see it historical as well. I guess that needs some programming

Comment

Not entirely sure what you mean 'see it horizontal as well' - I'd hazard a guess you may mean it 'stair steps' 'per Session' i.e. it prints a single horizontal line for the ON H/L, then the RTH H/L, then the ON H/L and 'stair steps' in the way it does bar-to-bar if you don't force Horizontal Line (that's how MT4 platform did it, others I've seen too iirc). So on a chart of several days' intraday charts you see the H/L of each Session.
                    Can't offer any input re: programming such capability as I have no skills in that area, but if you produce one please share, I'd absolutely love that (that's how it should be implemented by default in the Platform imho). Or ask as a Feature Request.
                    Best,

Comment

'stair steps' 'per Session'
                      Best,
                      Yes indeed, exactly how you describe it. I also don't have the skills, and agree that should be a standard feature. I might make a feature request for it. Thanks for your help!!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:53 AM
                      0 responses
                      1 view
                      0 likes
                      Last Post CortexZenUSA  
                      Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:46 AM
                      0 responses
                      1 view