Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with add indicator SMA as Column in MarketAnalyzer

Hi Ninja Customer Service,

I'm new to NinjaTrader 8 this week, after several days of hands-on experience, I have to say: I'm loving it! The whole UI looks very neat and easy to use!

Here I have a question when working on MarketAnalyzer.

I created a MarketAnalyzer and am trying to add the indicator SMA as a new column. However, for some reason, I notice that the calculated value is incorrect, comparing to two other 3-rd party references.

My setting is shown in attachment Photo 1. As you can see, I'm trying to add a 9-day SMA on Daily close prices. When the "Time frame"->"Days back" is 1, as default, in the MarketAnalyzer, the data cell is empty, seems like no successful calculation.

Then, I tried to modify the Time frame"->"Days back" to 9, then the calculated 9-day SMA for AAPL on July-17 is $385.59, as shown in Photo 2, but according to TradingView and other website, the SMA9 daily should be $383.66 on July17th, and $382.38 on July 16th.

If I change the "Time frame"->"Days back" to 11, then the result changes to $383.45.

FYI, I have downloaded 2020 Year-To-Date historical daily data for AAPL.

Can you help let know what's going on here?

Thanks.

Forgot to mention, I'm using Interactive Broker as data provider.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for writing in.

Having any settings different between the two indicators can cause the output of values to be different. To mitigate this you'll want to ensure as many of the values are identical between the TradingView chart and the NinjaTrader Market Analyzer.

Different data feeds produce different values, especially when using tick based intervals vs time based intervals. Market data vendors each employ various methods for tick filtering, throttling and time stamping. As a result, no data stream is 100% identical and thus can cause subtle differences in indicator values. Since NinjaTrader supports many of the leading brokerage and data feed technologies, it is highly likely that comparing a data feed to another such as TradingView will have minor differences when plotting the same market and time interval.

More information can be found below in our Help Guide article regarding this topic:

https://ninjatrader.com/support/help..._are_built.htm

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.
      Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Marco,

Thanks for the reply. Here I have some follow-up question.

This SMA(Simple Moving Average) daily is calculated on Close price of each day, so I feel there is no much wiggle room between different platforms, therefore I'm still unclear why there is such difference. I compared TradingView with yahoo finance, they're consistent with each other.

Another question is about the "Time frame"->"Days back", could you help explain a bit on its usage? I'm not sure if I'm setting it correctly, as when using 9 and 11, I'm getting different results.

Thanks!

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

You may change the calculate method for your SMA in the 'Indicators' menu to On price change or On each tick if that setting matches closer for you. I could not speak to the calculate method TradingView and Yahoo use, so unfortunately it may take some trial and error of settings to get them to match.

As for the 'Days back' setting, this will allow you to specify how many days of data the indicator is loading. This will be entirely up to your personal preference and trading strategy, but modifying this field will certainly result in different SMAs as this indicator calculates cumulatively using the provided data.

Please let us know if we may be of any further assistance.
          Melissa J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Melissa,

Thanks very much for the explanation about the "Days back" setting. For a desired SMA9, now I set the "Days back" to 18, which is double of 9 given you mentioned the indicator is calculated cumulatively, and the result is matching with TradingView and Yahoo.com!

Best~

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by cls71, Today, 04:45 AM
            0 responses
            1 view
            0 likes
            Last Post cls71
            by cls71

Started by mjairg, 07-20-2023, 11:57 PM