How to auto manage IB-Gateway daily restart without causing NT8 to stop working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi timko,
    Just happenend again. Lost connection in NT8 for approx. 2 mins.
    Changed LED from green to orange and back to green. I shared a video with Jim (for the orange to green part).
    NT-Roland

Comment

Hello NT-Roland and timko,

In the past, we would use IB Gateway to allow for 24/5 connections. Since TWS added the Auto Restart behaviors, we should be able to use TWS or IB Gateway. Keeping strategies running would imply that we have changed the Disconnect Delay Seconds settings for Connection Loss Handling and that we use Keep Running so that the strategies can stay running throughout the duration of the restart period.

NT-Roland, the issues you are experiencing now do sound to be more related to connection losses, rather than NinjaTrader failing to reconnect. There may be network stability or internet connection stability issues on your end which trigger the loss of connection to the price server, which you do see re-establish on its own. We are discussing that over email. For sake of keeping the forum on topic, please continue working with me over email.
      JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Bad News from our side. This morning 06:48 AM NT lost connection to IB and Auto-reconnect failed (red) :-( Jim... Logs & Tracefiles will follow.

Comment

Hi Coral,
          The combination of TWS and NT8 is still trading although I put it under kind of a stress test playing around with Lock & Exit time thereby triggering several reconnects instead of only one per day.
          NT-Roland

Comment

Hello Coral,

Could you send another email reaching out to me, also mentioning your forum user name? I received an email this morning from a user on NinjaTrader 8 Release 24.2 and TWS 978.2c, and I am not sure if that was you. As of now, we are testing and collecting feedback for an internal build of NinjaTrader 8 with TWS 978.2c.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Comment

Hi all,
              Today, I simulated Lock & Exit again as of 6.30 p.m. in 5 min intervals. As you can see from the attached, Ninja came back every time, the strat kept running and finally fired off an order (which was sucessfully executed, but is not shown on the screenshot as I prefer not to disclose my account info).
              After all, I consider the combination of Ninja dev build and TWS 978.2c promising.
              To play safe, I will continue to trade paper dollars for a while, but it appears to me as if I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel ...
              NT-Roland
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi all
                To NT-Roland & Jim: We use the Gateway 978.2c for our tests and not the TWS, today again after another complete new reinstall with the test setup the Auto reconnect failed.

@Jim Yes my colleagur refered in his Email (that he sent you with all details & trace files) to me. We are working on the same issue together Any news from the logs sofar?

Comment

Hi all,
                  My strat is down. Ninja disabled the strat this morning. Will share trace & log files with Jim.
                  NT-Roland

Comment

I have uninstalled IB latest IB-Gateway and replaced it with yours v973.2. I need to check it resolved the issue. vidmate appinstasave.onl
                    Last edited by arora2deepak; 04-22-2021, 02:50 AM.

Comment

Hello everyone,

I have emailed back those that have emailed me stating that their connection has not been re-established.

We are not out of the woods yet and there is still work that needs to be done on our end to address remaining reconnect issues.

When we have been able to diagnose and address the remaining issues, I will inform this thread here of any changes we would like to have beta tested so you may help us all to ensure the issue is resolved once and for all.

I mention "beta testing" the changes because the reconnect issues are not just one case, and being able to address them requires diagnosing individual cases which are not always possible to reproduce. For those that have been testing, please keep this in mind because we do not want to close the book on this yet, and any tests with the internal build should be done on paper or sim accounts to avoid losses if something happens with a trade that is left unmonitored.

I greatly appreciate everyone's patience and helpfulness to see this issue through.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jim View Post
                        Hello everyone,

I have emailed back those that have emailed me stating that their connection has not been re-established.

We are not out of the woods yet and there is still work that needs to be done on our end to address remaining reconnect issues.

When we have been able to diagnose and address the remaining issues, I will inform this thread here of any changes we would like to have beta tested so you may help us all to ensure the issue is resolved once and for all.

I mention "beta testing" the changes because the reconnect issues are not just one case, and being able to address them requires diagnosing individual cases which are not always possible to reproduce. For those that have been testing, please keep this in mind because we do not want to close the book on this yet, and any tests with the internal build should be done on paper or sim accounts to avoid losses if something happens with a trade that is left unmonitored.

I greatly appreciate everyone's patience and helpfulness to see this issue through.
                        Jim,
                        This weekend is a good candidate to test as the market had some volatility and wishfully, IB will carry out its system maintenance longer then normal and kick in a backup server after 2 to 3 hours after the main server got offline. I am not saying this is the root cause of the issue but from my months of observation, there is a high probability it will happen this weekend. Please inform your quality assurance team to set up different settings to catch the event.
                        1. with a strategy running
                        2. set the strategy to keep running on connection loss.
                        3. set the GW to full log, with awareness to the connection status of Market Data Farm and Historical Data Farm
                        4. my GW memory is set to 768MB RAM (i have tested to allot 2GB but seems no cure to the issue)
                        5. use a paid Kinetick connection on US Futures
                        As I will be downgrading my hardware (taking out 128 GB RAM as it seems to me it's a waste to run NT with 256GB) this weekend, I won't be able to participate. Please put GW as the first priority. TWS discussion in this thread is only a noise. Those of us using auto strategies won't be using TWS which requires more memory and poses a lot higher potentential system risks. Personally, I don't like Java and I suspected it was the Java based GW to cause the issue. This proposition was eliminated when I could made a successful manual connection after a manual disconnection.
                        Pls channel this to your QA team. Thanks!

Comment

ok, in order not to undermine TWS users' input, let me rephrase TWS observations are a reference rather than a noise...

Comment

a recap of the situation:
                            1. latest GW version suggested by NT has a reconnection problem
                            2. the previous GW v973.2 now suggested by NT as an interim solution also poses a reconnection issue under certain conditions
                            3. this reconnection issue is a show stopper for ALL auto strategy users

Comment

Originally posted by timko View Post
                              TWS discussion in this thread is only a noise. Those of us using auto strategies won't be using TWS which requires more memory and poses a lot higher potentential system risks. Personally, I don't like Java and I suspected it was the Java based GW to cause the issue. This proposition was eliminated when I could made a successful manual connection after a manual disconnection.
                              Hi timko,
                              I fully agree on the point that reconnection issues are a show stopper for all auto strategy users, but don't agree on your statement what auto strategy traders use.
                              The combination of a "platform" and TWS can be rock solid.
                              Jim: Please advise, which GW version shall be tested if you want me to switch over (for this weekend or general). Thx
                              NT-Roland

Comment

Originally posted by NT-Roland View Post
                                Hi timko,
                                I fully agree on the point that reconnection issues are a show stopper for all auto strategy users, but don't agree on your statement what auto strategy traders use.
                                The combination of a "platform" and TWS can be rock solid.
                                Jim: Please advise, which GW version shall be tested if you want me to switch over (for this weekend or general). Thx
                                NT-Roland
                                Roland, nevermind. Just to share with you, I had the experience that a TWS pop up could mess up the API client handling mechanism. IMHO, if you don't use GW, there is no need to switch over. I always think it's the NT supporting team's job to test out issues. If TWS proves to be a solution of the issue, I would consider to switch over instead. Somehow, this thread is about GW.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by Shansen, 08-30-2019, 10:18 PM
                                24 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post spwizard  
                                Started by Max238, Today, 01:28 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Max238