NT8 does not start after update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 does not start after update

I downloaded a new installer to update the version (NinjaTrader 8 v.8.0.22.2 L 1033 CP 1252).

the steps i took:
    1. through the Win10 program panel, I deleted the old version of NT8.
    2. manually deleted the folder "C:\Users\Lenovo\Documents\NinjaTrader 8".
    3. installed the new version.
    4. Then I run the program.

the program does not start, I get the error "Unable to open log file...":
    Click image for larger version  Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-08-03 at 10.51.39.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	232.0 KB ID:	1112560

As you can see, the folder is empty and there are no files in it (I delete it manually). I have done these steps over 30 times, rebooting after each step. The result is the same - NT8 is no longer loaded.

Why is a simple update so hard to do? What am I doing wrong?

Attached Files

Hello webus,

Thank you for your note.

Many of our users have experienced errors recently due to some windows and antivirus updates that have blocked the NinjaTrader platform.

Please ensure exceptions have been added into any firewall/antivirus/backup programs for the Documents > "NinjaTrader 8" folder— as well as the NinjaTrader.exe program in C:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 8\bin64.

Please let us know if we may be of any further assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChrisSch View Post
      Hello webus,

Thank you for your note.

Many of our users have experienced errors recently due to some windows and antivirus updates that have blocked the NinjaTrader platform.

Please ensure exceptions have been added into any firewall/antivirus/backup programs for the Documents > "NinjaTrader 8" folder— as well as the NinjaTrader.exe program in C:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 8\bin64.

Please let us know if we may be of any further assistance.
      Hi NinjaTrader_ChrisSch,

NT8 worked fine before I decided to reinstall (update) it (except for the bugs I described in other threads of the forum).
      NT8 is not blocked by antivirus or other programs (I did not find these locks).

As you can see in the screenshot, NT8 is trying to access some log files that are not physically present (empty folder).

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

We can confirm that many antivirus programs automatically updated with recent windows updates to cause this behavior.

Recent windows updates may also have automatically enabled 'Controlled Folder Access' in Windows Defender. If this is enabled, you may experience errors when NinjaTrader attempts to write to or create a new file/folder but does not have permission to do so.

To disable this setting follow the instructions below:
        • From your Windows desktop, select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security > Virus & threat protection.
        • Under Virus & threat protection settings, select Manage settings.
        • Under Controlled folder access, select Manage Controlled folder access.
        • Switch the Controlled folder access setting to Off.
        • Restart NinjaTrader and test
        For more information visit the publicly available site below:

It may also be an antivirus software causing this error. Please ensure exceptions have been added into any firewall/antivirus/backup programs for the Documents > "NinjaTrader 8" folder— as well as the NinjaTrader.exe program in C:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 8\bin64

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Melissa J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Melissa View Post
          Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

We can confirm that many antivirus programs automatically updated with recent windows updates to cause this behavior.

Recent windows updates may also have automatically enabled 'Controlled Folder Access' in Windows Defender. If this is enabled, you may experience errors when NinjaTrader attempts to write to or create a new file/folder but does not have permission to do so.

To disable this setting follow the instructions below:
          • From your Windows desktop, select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security > Virus & threat protection.
          • Under Virus & threat protection settings, select Manage settings.
          • Under Controlled folder access, select Manage Controlled folder access.
          • Switch the Controlled folder access setting to Off.
          • Restart NinjaTrader and test
          For more information visit the publicly available site below:

It may also be an antivirus software causing this error. Please ensure exceptions have been added into any firewall/antivirus/backup programs for the Documents > "NinjaTrader 8" folder— as well as the NinjaTrader.exe program in C:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 8\bin64

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Yesterday I managed to run NT8. The program just started, I didn't do anything extra.
          The problem repeated itself today. The methods that you have described did not help me. I could not find the items that you have described (Win10 blocked these items (the message that the system administrator limited these functions - I do not know why I see this message, I am the only owner of the pc)).
          I have added folders to the antivirus exclusion - it didn't help.
          I have added NT8 to the trusted antivirus programs - it didn't help.

But I found a temporary way - this is to disable the antivirus before starting NT8. I use Avast antivirus and just turn off all screens for 10 minutes. This allows NT8 to run.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_4.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	1112735
          Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by yertle, Today, 08:38 AM
          0 responses