GTC Order did not trigger when lost connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTC Order did not trigger when lost connection

I'm using the simulator mode and was in the middle of an open short trade and had a GTC buy stop order for a profit exit in place when my connection to the Ninjatrader Continuum was lost (my home internet connection was fine). When I was able to log back on, I noticed the price had moved through my buy stop target, but my order to exit wasn't triggered.

Shouldn't a GTC order trigger regardless of whether or not I'm connected? Or is this just an issue with the simulator?

Hello LeroyO,

Thank you for creating your post with these details.

Simulated orders (any order associated with the Sim101 account) would be simulated locally on your PC, so they would not be able to function in the event of a connection loss or shut down of the platform even with GTC selected.

However, in the event of a connection loss or disconnection, the behavior that occurs to the live orders, (orders with a live funded account) would depend on who you are connected to as well as the state the orders are in.

Once Accepted or Working, your Stop Loss and Profit Target would adhere to the same rules mentioned in the below link for your data provider. I have provided a link below to our Help Guide that goes over where your orders reside.I would also like to note that once the platform is shut down, ATM (Advanced Trade Management) functionality would not be available. Essentially, the platform is unable to submit or manage Stop Loss or Profit Target orders if the platform is shut down.

More information at the below link:I have linked below our Help Guide section that goes over order state definitions.Furthermore, in the event that you are experiencing a connectivity issue, here are some basic troubleshooting techniques you can use.
    • Restart NinjaTrader
    • Restart your modem and (if applicable) router
    • Restart your PC
    • Clear your DNS
      • Open the Command Prompt (Here is a publicly available link showing how to open the command prompt)
      • In the command prompt, run this command: ipconfig /flushdns
    • If you are not already and the option is available to you, connect to the internet using an ethernet cable. Wireless connections are significantly more unreliable.
    • Ensure exceptions have been added into any firewall/antivirus/backup programs for the Documents > "NinjaTrader 8" folder.
    • Ensure that your computer is not turning off your Network Adapter to conserve power:
      • Right-click on your Start button
      • Select 'Device Manager'
      • Expand 'Network Adapters'
      • Right-click on your Network Adapter and select Properties > Power Management
      • Uncheck 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' option
      • Click 'OK' to save the changes
      • Do this for all Network Adapters
    • If the above steps do not help, contact your ISP and let them know you are experiencing a highly unstable connection. An issue of connectivity may exist on their end.
    Please do not hesitate to reach out to us with any other NinjaTrader inquiries in the future.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_BrendanC; 08-21-2020, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Thank you for the answer. To clarify and confirm, regarding live orders and from the link you've provided, am I correct to assume that since my broker is NinjaTrader, if this particular trade I described was done in my live funded account, the GTC would have triggered since the order is stored at the brokerage or exchange and not on my local PC?

Comment

Hello LeroyO,

Thank you for responding with these details.

You are correct in that if you are using NinjaTrader as the brokerage, you would then likely be using the NinjaTrader Continuum connection. Therefore, as stated in the help guide, orders in a state "Accepted" or "Working" are at the brokerage or exchange for Continuum based connections.

Furthermore, I would like to clarify that the GTC option would make it so that the order remains active till it is explicitly canceled. Here is another link to our help guide section that goes over the Time in Force selector and the different definitions:

https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...f_selector.htm

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us with any other NinjaTrader questions or inquiries.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
        166 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post sidlercom80  
        Started by thread, Yesterday, 11:58 PM
        0 responses
        1 view
        0 likes