Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

live price data providers for NQ mini & RTY mini (CME) - alternative to Kinetick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

live price data providers for NQ mini & RTY mini (CME) - alternative to Kinetick?

Hi,

I'd like to know what, if any, NT 8 compatible alternatives there are to Kinetick for a live price data feed of the CME. I am specifically interested in trading NQ mini & RTY mini.

I will need this data feed for longer than 2 weeks, so NT's 2 week free data trial offer will not be sufficient.

I will only be using this data for sim trades at the moment, so I would like to avoid having to open a brokerage account in order to access the data feed, if possible.

My only reluctance towards using Kinetick is that it seems it would cost $131 a month ($65 base fee + $66 CME e-mini add-on), which seems pretty steep considering I only wish to do sim trades at the moment. I know another NT8 user only pays $15 a month for their Continuum data subscription to trade NQ mini & RTY mini, however they do have a brokerage account with Phillip Capital, so I'd imagine the cost of that data feed is being effectively "subsidized" by using their brokerage services. I am willing to pay some amount for a subscription, though less than $131 a month would be much appreciated

Thank you

pkennethv,

There are two ways to get data into NinjaTrader: you can connect to an account with a supported or you can subscribe to an independent market data vendor.

If you are not in the position to deposit funds into a trading account, then you can receive market data into NinjaTrader by funding an account with an independent data vendor. I am not aware of any providers that would be cheaper than Kinetick, but you can look into IQFeed and eSignal as possible alternatives.

Comment

Kinetick is insanely overpriced, their pricing is stuck in the 90s, if you ask me.. I can't understand why NT officially endorse them, as it's not in the best financial interest of their customers, but just one of many options... Open an account with Interactive Brokers, and while you will also have to pay for the CME data, the fee gets waived when you exceed the cost with commissions, which is easily achieve if you trade actively. I end up paying around 15 USD per month after commissions as some fees don't get waived. I find that very reasonable.

Cheers, hope it helps.
      Just my 2 cents.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IB2.PNG
Views:	627
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	1115051

Click image for larger version  Name:	IB.PNG Views:	0 Size:	679.2 KB ID:	1115050
      Last edited by Oracletrades; 08-21-2020, 10:59 PM. Reason: added screenshot

Comment

Looks like getting tick by tick data from IB is still an issue, this post is fairly recent. https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...a-shown-in-nt8

So data quality from IB is not the highest, but everyone should decide for themselves what is good enough.
        There aren't a lot of budget data provider options around, Kinetick's pricing model is decent.

Comment

Hey MojoJojo, I think you need to specify that the issue with IB you refer to is linked to the historic tick data retrieval, not real-time tick data. I've been trading with IB for a while and if your VPS is close to their servers, the real-time data quality is as good as it gets.

The (very well known) "problem" is that IB doesn't like people downloading historic tick data in big quantities. They don't want to be a "data farm", so they throttle historic data download. While I disagree with that philosophy, after all I'm paying for the data, there isn't much I can do about it... So indeed, if you need to regularly download years of tick data, IB won't be the best choice. In that case, I suggest you do a 1 month subscribtion with Kinetick, download all the data for the symbols you need and from then on, use IB to keep getting tick data at a much more affordable cost than kinetick.... Or just use tickstory to download historic tick data from dukascopy.. A bit manual to do the import into NT8 but usually quite good results.

Comment

Hi Oracletrades, thanks for the solid info, IB looks good for live trading then.There could be a minor issue when connection outages occur but that is most likely not a big deal.

As for the OP's question, it might be possible to find a data provider with lower base service fees, however every provider will have to charge the same amount of exchange fees. As someone without a trading account, the CME's requirements for the non pro program are not met, that's why they're charging the full amount.
            I'm sure you have your reasons for requiring live data but for simming market replay on historical data wouldn't be too different.

A different platform with a very budget subscription fee includes a large amount historical tick data. Of course it is limited to their platform ...

Comment

Agree with your view. However for this I don't:

A different platform with a very budget subscription fee includes a large amount historical tick data. Of course it is limited to their platform ...
              Tickstory is free software and allows you to download Forex (not futures as requested by the OP) for free, at tick level. Even the paid solution is cheaper than Kinetick but I wouldn't recommend it at 49 USD, as that gets close to Kinetick which is more comfortable... That said, you simply download CSV tick data and then import into NT8. So not really a different platform as such, just a bit more work (but if you want to save money, it's a good option).

For the OP, this could also be an option:
              https://www.tickdata.com/product/his...-futures-data/

15 symbols per year = $75 USD. Even one year of updates = $150, you pay that in 2 months with Kinetick...
              Here is a post that describes the import (unfortunately without the solution)

https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...getting-errors

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by mattbsea, Today, 05:44 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post mattbsea  
              Started by RideMe, 04-07-2024, 04:54 PM
              6 responses
              0 likes