Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 10 Update NIGHTMARE...

Hello,

After the latest Windows 10 Update I noticed that I was running dangerously low on free hard drive space on my C Drive. With each new Windows 10 update, Microsoft appears to want to keep taking more and more of my hard drive space until I am down to almost nothing.

So I tried several things to free up more C Drive space, some of which gave me some more space and some of which did not.

One of the things I did was to move all of my Documents folders and files from my C Drive to my F Drive, which I later moved to a new partition D Drive when trying to partition more free space to my C Drive.

Well now Ninjatrader 8 cannot find my files in the new location in my D Drive documents folder. So I am back to a new clean install with no workspaces, templates, and a simulation account instead of a Live account.

How do I point Ninjatrader 8 to look in and point to my D Drive documents folder for everything it needs to run as I intend it to?

i2w8am9ii2

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

NinjaTrader is hard-coded to install it's files to your Documents folder default location. It is not possible to change this hard-coding.

It is possible to relocate the Documents folder to a new default location which would in turn cause NinjaTrader to install/look for files in the new default location of your Documents folder. We do not have any direct steps that we advise as this is a Windows operation. With that said, I'd suggest searching the web for "how to relocate the documents folder" and you'll likely find many useful articles.

If you have any further NinjaTrader inquiries we may assist with, please don't hesitate to ask.
    Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Marco,

Thanks for your reply.

I got the problem basically solved, mainly by uninstalling and then reinstalling NT8.

Changing the default Documents folder location was something I figured out a couple of days ago via Youtube videos and online articles, but my default location reverted to a previous saved Documents folder location, which caused my problem, as there was not much free drive space at that location.

The main things I still have to deal with now is reactivating my purchased indicators, because of the fact that my Machine ID has changed.

Screenshots attached for how I changed my default Documents folder location.

i2w8am9ii2

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

If your machine ID has changed, NinjaTrader 8 will automatically remove your license key, username and password, and other sensitive information. This is a purposeful security feature. This feature prevents others from being able to access your personal information simply by stealing your files and loading them onto another PC.

NinjaTrader does not control your machine ID directly. Your machine ID is generated by NinjaTrader based on your PC's fundamental hardware (like RAM, motherboard, etc.) and fundamental software (BIOS/UEFI version, Windows updates, firmware updates, etc.). If any of these items change, your machine ID is likely to change as well. There is no way to manually change your machine ID.

Please copy and paste your license key into your platform from the email it was sent to you from. To do this, go to the Control Center > Help > License key.

Additionally, once you have added your License key, you will need to add your username and password back into your account connection. To do this, go to the Control Center > Connections > Configure > Select your connection > Enter the username and password > OK. If you do not have this information, please contact your broker directly.

If your machine ID has changed and it is affecting your add-on licensing, you will need to reach out to the add-on vendors with your new machine ID.
        Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Marco,

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I had to take care of all that to get NT8 to behave in a partially sane way again.

Attached are a couple of other screenshots regarding how I moved my Documents folder to a new location.

i2w8am9ii2

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Waxavi, 04-19-2024, 02:10 AM
          2 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post poeds
          by poeds

Started by chbruno, Yesterday, 04:10 PM
          1 response