Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

The mysterious case of the vanishing candles...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The mysterious case of the vanishing candles...

Hi,
    Viewing a 3 min chart using TDA feed, you change charts and then switch back to the original chart. On the original chart, the candles that you sat and watched form are now gone and all you see is the currently forming 3 min. candle. What happened to the already formed candles viewed previously on that original chart and why isn't this a problem after 7am? Do we need a feature request to be able to get a complete pre-7am full candle stick chart where the candles don't disappear?
    Regards,
    Frank
    @frankkolnacki

Hello Frank,

Thank you for your post.

Can you please check if you load the historical data when you right click in the chart and select "Reload All Historical Data"?

Am I correct you experience this behavior with all instruments you try or could it be limited to a certain instrument(s)?

Do you see the historical data at Control Center-->Tools-->Historical Data? Please double click "Historical" on the left followed by Last-->Minute-->september 2020-->today's date. Do you now see the historical data on the right?

In addition, please go to Control Center-->Tools-->Options. Select "Market data" on the left and check if "Get data from server" is enabled. If not, please do so and click OK. Disconnect/reconnect TD Ameritrade in NinjaTrader and check if historical data remains in the chart upon switching instruments.

If the issue remains, please follow the steps below to manually attach your log and trace files to an email to platformsupport[AT]ninjatrader[DOT]com with "ATTN JASON 2725005" in the subject line so I may investigate this matter further.
    • Open your NinjaTrader folder under Documents.
    • Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    • Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to this email.
    • Once complete, you can delete these compressed folders.

I look forward to your reply.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Jason,

1. Need to see tomorrow whether reloading historical data makes any difference since this is a prior to 7am issue.
      2. All instruments
      3. Double clicking on "historical" on the left just brings up a list of tickers, not the expected- Last-->Minute-->september 2020-->today's date. The data box to the right of that is empty.
      4. Get data from server already checked off.

Will let you know tomorrow whether reloading historical data has a positive effect or whether we need to investigate further.
      Thanks

Comment

Hello Frank,

Sorry my instructions were not complete. After you double click 'Historical', please double click the instrument (ticker) then followed by Last-->Minute-->september 2020-->today's date.

Sounds good, I will wait for your message tomorrow.

In addition, please let me know what time zone you refer when you state 7:00 AM. You mention the issue occurs before 7:00 AM. Do you perhaps know at what time the issue starts to happen?

Comment

Hi Jason,
          Sorry, I got busy this morning and didn't have a chance to investigate before 7am today, will try again tomorrow. In the meantime...I'm on the eastern time zone in NY. I logged into tda a few mins ago to see what the historical data looked like for $AMRN and the historical in the right hand data box is only going back to 7:01am, even though I have my extended trading hours set to 4am. There is also no chart candlesticks prior to 7am. Not sure if this is a TDA feed thing but it's always been this way and could be a separate unrelated to original problem of pre 7am candles disappearing after they've already been drawn prior to 7am.

Comment

Hello Frank,

No worries, thank you for clarifying the time zone.

As per the AMRN, can you please right click in the chart and select 'Data Series'. Set Trading hours to "Default 24 x 7" and click OK. Do you now load historical data before 7:00 AM?

Comment

Hi Jason,
              I've got some screen shots of the problem and discovered another problem. 2nd (new) problem- Daily candle is active and filling in real time prior to 7am but after 7am the daily candle is gone. Included screen shot of daily candle active. Historical data screen cap shows no historical data for today. Time for the chart set to default 24/7. Eastern time zone.

Edit: Also inc. screener of a case where today's daily candle is missing (yesterday's daily candle is most recent as of 5:20am, instead of today's candle).

2nd edit: It's now 6:09am and the daily candles from all tickers have reverted back to 9/3/2020. Daily candle prices are therefore no longer synced up with 1 min. chart prices since there's no daily candle for today to sync up with.
              Thanks
              Attached Files
              Last edited by bortz; 09-04-2020, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Hello bortz,

Thank you for your post.

I'd like to get a closer look at what is occuring here.

Please send me your log and trace files so that I may look into what occurred.

You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support

Ensuring 'Log and Trace Files' is checked will include these files. This is checked by default.

Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: "FORUM 2725005 ATTN Heath"

Thank you I'll await your reply.
                Heath R.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

For those following this thread- Heath did a remote with me to see what was going on and he found that using kinetic feed stopped the anomalous behavior I observed with TDA as my feed, so it was concluded that TDA is not sending historical data prior to 7am, hence the disappearing candles prior to 7am. He suggested I contact TDA to find out why I'm not getting that historical data. So I fired up think or swim to see if their own platform captured that data. Lo and behold I could see data all the way back to 4am this morning, so the problem must lie with the API and data transmission to NT8. I figure my odds of TDA doing anything about this, (since it doesn't affect their bottom line and nobody else is reporting problems here on the forum) are pretty close to zero.

While NT support was very helpful and timely, I'm really not happy that TDA and NT don't work more glitch free together. I checked my account at TDA and I'm signed up for and am receiving all available real time data feeds, so somebody should be on the hook here for resolving this... And I'm still waiting for the "feature request" to materialize where the last 1 min. candle volume fills to capacity in real time and not delayed. How can you trade a volume breakout with no accurate volume info Might as well be trading on a feed delayed demo account in that regard.

Comment

Hello Bortz,

Thank you for the follow up here.
                    Unfortunately in this instance the limitation is strictly based on TDA's API and the information they choose to send the platform or that they record on their servers. This isn't anything we would be able to affect on our end.

Regarding your feature request please refer to that specific thread for updates to that request.

Thank you again for your time today.
                    Heath R.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by helpwanted, Today, 03:06 AM
                    1 response
                    0 likes
                    Last Post sarafuenonly123  
                    Started by Brevo, Today, 01:45 AM
                    0 responses