Error when manually moving limit on chart trader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error when manually moving limit on chart trader

I clicked on the limit and was manually moving it to a different tick position on the chart trader when the market moved against what I was doing very quickly. This caused an error when I clicked to set the limit. Instead of defaulting to the previous limit after the error popup window, it got rid of the limit all together. Unfortunately, the market moved further against me while I was still processing what happened to the limit. Lost a good amount before I manually hit the close button.

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Glad to assist. What error messages have you received?

CRITICAL — If your inquiry involves live orders, please always reach out to your broker's Orders Desk immediately to confirm and manage your live orders and positions.

If your trades are with NinjaTrader Brokerage, you can contact NinjaTrader Brokerage Order Desk here:

Please write into to PlatformSupport[AT]NinjaTrader[DOT]Com along with your log and trace files and a link to this forum post.

Include ticket number 2727993 in the body of the email.

Please follow the steps below to manually attach your log and trace files to your response so I may investigate this matter further.
    Open your NinjaTrader folder under Documents.
    Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to this email.
    Once complete, you can delete these compressed folders.

We look forward to assisting further.
    Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Eric,

The error that popped up according to my logs is the following:

Sell order stop price must be below last trade price ExchangeRejectCode = 2060 affected Order: Sell 1 Limit @ 3442
      Sell order stop price must be below last trade price ExchangeRejectCode = 2060 affected Order: Sell 1 StopMarket @ 3440

I clicked on the limit marker as I normally would on the chart and clicked to place it at a new value. The moment right before I clicked the suddenly moved to where I was clicking and the error happened. After I clicked OK, Only the entry point remained and both my sell and stop limits were gone.

I will attach the files and email per your instructions. I recently tried to recreate it in simulation to no avail.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

The error indicates that a stop order was placed on the wrong side of the market.

This can typically occur when manually moving an order too close to the current market price. and when the change is submitted, the stop price is on the other side of the market and will produce this error. This can be avoided by not placing your stop so close to the current market price of the instrument in question.

If you have any further NinjaTrader inquiries we may assist with, please don't hesitate to ask.
        Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Marco,

Yes, this is what I mentioned above that the error happened when I was moving the stop order to a different price level but suddenly the market moved by a large swing. I understand that this would cause the error window to pop up and notify me that the action wouldn't be possible.

However, the problem is that this somehow canceled both the stop order and the sell limit placed by the ATM. I tried to recreate the issue in simulation and could not. This means there is a bug as when trying to place the stop order incorrectly, the error will notify that this is not possible and the previous stop order would remain unaffected. In my case when the error occurred, I was essentially left at the whims of the market without a stop or limit having to quickly click the Close button on the chart trader. This was a costly software glitch.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

On my end when recreating this scenario, the stop fills at the previously designated stop loss value, despite the message about the requested change being rejected. This also removes the profit target according to the OCO logic inside of an ATM Strategy as expected.

I'd like to take a look at your log and trace files for this issue. These files contain diagnostic information related to what is occurring on your platform that will help us resolve this issue in a timely manner.

Please also provide with your email response the Order ID associated with this order- You can check in the Executions or Orders tab of the Control Center.

Please follow the steps below to manually attach your log and trace files to an email to platformsupport[AT]ninjatrader[DOT]com with "2727993 ATTN Marco G" in the subject line and a link to this forum post in the message body so I may investigate this matter further.

Open your NinjaTrader folder under Documents.
            Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
            Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to this email.
            Once you have emailed these to us, you may delete these compressed folders.

Thanks in advance; I look forward to resolving this item for you.

Comment

Hi Marco,

I previously emailed the information to platform support per Eric's instructions. Subject line is same title as this thread and email body contains the ticket number, thanks!

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for that information.

I am not seeing anything usual in your files. Can you please provide the exact steps I can take to reproduce this same functionality on my end?

I look forward to your reply.

Comment

Please read the entire thread above with Eric for my explanation. I am unable to recreate this in simulation. It only happened in live trading and unless you plan on funding my account with several thousand dollars to try and recreate this problem, I do not want to figure it out with my money. It happened again this morning and I lost several thousand dollars due to this f***ing error. Please fix your s***.

Comment

Same ExchangeRejectCode = 2060 error like last time and as mentioned above.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

The error indicates that a stop order was placed on the wrong side of the market.

There is likely an issue with the logic involved with your ATM strategy, such as a stop loss set to be 1 Tick away from market price, and as it is being submitted, the market price goes below this value and you get returned the error from the exchange directly. Can you provide a screenshot of the ATM Strategy parameters you are using?

I look forward to your reply.

Comment

Marco,

First, this has nothing to do with my ATM strategy. This happens when I decide I want to move my STOP to a new price position whether that is to shore up some profit or give some more room for it to swing.

I found this forum post that explains similar to the same issues I have.

The problem lies with the NinjaTrader software. When manually moving the STOP, if the market happens to move to the position that makes the new STOP price invalid, the software rejects it. This is understandable. The dumb part is that instead of keeping the previous stop, both the previous stop and the new position it was moved to are both gone leaving you unprotected in the market.

Good coding practice would be to keep the previous stop order until and unless the new selected stop order price is valid. Seeing as how this problem has been present since at least 2010 per the above forum url, it looks like you guys don't care to fix this dangerous piece of code.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

On my end when recreating this scenario, the stop fills at the previously designated stop loss value, despite the message about the requested change being rejected. This also removes the profit target according to the OCO logic inside of an ATM Strategy as expected.

As we already have an email chain on this topic I would like to continue with that instead to ensure we get this figured out for you and will follow up with you via email as well.

Comment

Marco,

I have responded to your email with the same statement as below. The reason I have pasted this to the forum is because I think it is very important for the other users to be aware that this very dangerous problem exists and has existed for what looks like at least 10 years now per the other thread I linked. There are 1 star reviews elsewhere on the net also complaining about this issue at least 5 years back as well. I will continue to update this thread with information until it is resolved if ever.

I am unable to recreate this issue without putting my money at risk. I've tried it in simulation and the issue does not occur. The way this occurs is like I have stated. This is the setup of the ATM strategy.
                            [picture not shown]

After order entry and the market fills it, if I wanted to adjust the stop from it's current 6 tick position, I would left click the stop and move it to the desire position away from the current market value, e.g. Market is 2 ticks away from my stop and I click the mouse and move the stop so that it is now 4 ticks away from market. The problem: Taking the example above, during the time of moving the stop if the market moved from 2 ticks away from my previous stop and suddenly moved, let's say 10 ticks, instantly past where I am about the place the new stop, the rejection error pops up. After clicking OK, the new stop, previous stop, and profit limit are all gone leaving me in the market completely unprotected. Please carefully note that this error that left me unprotected is intermittent. Of the number of times this has happened during a high volatile market, only two of those times left me completely unprotected. Though it was only twice, it was very costly and I am sure you guys will not do anything to recover my money from the loss due to your bad code unless I brought a lawsuit. As I stated before, I cannot reproduce this in simulation and I am not willing to risk any more of my own money doing this in live trading. On my forum post, I also left a link for another person that complained about this very issue 10 years ago.

I encourage you to carefully read again all of my posts in my forum thread describing the issue. You asked some of the same questions I already addressed in response to another NinjaTrader employee on the same forum thread in question. I also invite you to read the thread link I pasted on my forum post as well for the person complaining about the same issue 10 years ago. I am sure there are numerous complaints since then in the forum history from other users. There are even reviews online elsewhere on the internet that give NinjaTrader bad reviews for this same issue. It is unfortunate I was not aware of your bad code which cost me money.

I think I have thoroughly described the steps to try and make the error occur, so there is no need for me to waste time to download recording software to try and recreate this issue for you and risk my own money. You can use your own live account and keep trying what I mentioned above during high volatility times. It's like I said before, it doesn't always happen, but when it does it is a very scary thing.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM
                            2 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post alifarahani  
                            Started by junkone, Today, 11:37 AM
                            3 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB