Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Scaling into a position - seeking help to automatically change profit/stop targets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scaling into a position - seeking help to automatically change profit/stop targets

When scaling into a position, price automatically changes. I have my ATM strategy to set specific profit and stop targets. However, when the average price changes, the original stop and profit targets set by the first trade in the scaling process stay the same and don't change based on my new average price.

I would like to have the targets automatically change as the average price changes.

Questions

1. Is there a setting within NT8 I can do this?

2. If Script is needed, what sources are there to help me solve this question?

Thank you!

Hello mbmccull,

Welcome to the NinjaTrader forums!

It is possible to scale in to an existing position which will adjust the stops and targets.

Through code, you are wanting multiple entries and a single stop and target to cover these?

It is possible with StopTargetHandling.ByStrategyPosition.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Chelsea,

Ideally, I wouldn't have this setting enacted through code. But, if code is the way to do it, I will get this developed.

Comment

Hello mbmccull,

With an active atm strategy selected in the atm drop-down, any orders would scale in to that and adjust the stop and target based on the average entry price.

Your post is in the strategy development section of the forums. Are you looking for help developing a NinjaScript fully automated strategy?

Comment

I have an active ATM strategy that I trade with. The stop and target doesn't adjust to the average price in its entirety. There are two settings I have tested under the "ATM Strategy selection mode" are: Select active ATM strategy on order submission and Keep selected ATM strategy template on order submission. Neither of these adjusted the stop and targets when the average price changes. I have assumed I needed a NinjaScript for this, but haven't been sure.

Comment

Hello mbmccull,

Is there an active Atm Strategy selected (with the lightning bolt) when a new entry is placed?

Below is a link to a video.

Comment

There is an active ATM Strategy. When there is an active order, there is also a lightening bolt

Comment

Hello mbmccull,

To confim, the behavior is different than what is shown in the video I have linked?

You have an active atm selected and you are placing a new entry to scale into that active atm strategy, and a separate stop and target appears when the new entry fills?

Comment

I'm having a similar issue using SIM account:

I often scale in (eg add to a loser "double up") and want my total position to be treated on an AVERAGE PRICE basis in the ATM and its Stop Strategies. I've just started reacquainting myself with Ninja (OMG has NT grown!!) and set up my ATM & Stop strategies with mode @ "Select Active ATM strategy on order submission". My ATM stop got me out of the total position (great) but at the 30 tick stop from the 1st trade price (vs avg trade of both entry trades). Is there something I failed to do? Should I have reselected my ATM to recalculate & implement avg entry price? OR did I misunderstand and ATM & STOP strategies don't use average entry price?

I'm uploading some screenshots to show the trades in both the Execution grids and on the 1 minute chart along with my ATM & STOP strategy setups (screenshots but can upload the templates should that be helpful).

Thanks
                  Bruce
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hello trymph,

Were you scaling into an existing working Atm? (Was the lightning bolt appearing on the selected Atm?)

Or was this a new atm instance from the saved template?

Comment

Yes, presumed as I was set to "Select Active ATM strategy on order submission" and it was in place prior to both entry trades. It all happened very fast as I foolishly was trying to catch a falling knife. Both the 2nd entry and the stop out happened within a couple of minutes. I will try again. But is the Average Entry Price supposed to control my ATM and Stop strategy or is this where FIFO is the rule? Did I misread previous explanations? See attached for my ATM & Stop strategies.txt. Thanks
                      Last edited by trymph; 02-09-2022, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Hello trymph,

The average entry price would adjust to each entry scaled into the same Atm instance, and the stops and targets would be distanced from that average entry price.

Comment

Thanks Chelsea
                          I guess I'm more interested in the Stop Strategies steps within the ATM. It seems those trailing stops and trigger profit targets do NOT adjust to the scaled average entry price as shown on the Super Dom in brown color highlight? I really haven't checked the ATM stop/target bracket price adjustments after scaling with a second entry trade. The quantities adjust just fine but it seems FIFO with respect to profit triggers on trailing stops in the Stop Strategy for the ATM. Email@Support team suggests to cancel working orders AFTER CLOSING THE SCALED POSTION EXTRA CONRACTS and use the right click menu in Positions tab to apply ATM fresh in order to apply the new 2nd scaled entry price. I would much rather have it all based on average entry price (average entry price as used often in the documentations) post scaling. I'm not sure about changing the ATM "mode" for the 2nd scaled in entry trade order, even though I most often trade out of it at breakeven +1. That would still leave me stuck with my original entry price I'm thinking.

Comment

Hello trymph,

The stop strategy would be based on the average entry price of the active atm strategy. This would move the stop after a certain number of ticks from where the stop is initially submitted (based on the entry price).

Comment

ChelseaB, do you have a video showing the Target and Stop prices that are part of an active ATM strategy automatically adjusting to the new average price after adding to position size at a price different than the original entry price? Other than the change in position price to the new average price, I have not seen that same automatic behavior by Target/Stop, and always have to calculate new Target/Stop prices and manually adjust Target and Stop relative to the new average price after an addition to position size.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post DJ888
                              by DJ888

Started by terofs, Today, 04:18 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes