Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop Loss gaps

Hello, I hope this is the right place.

I have a Sim account. I have set a ATM Strategy with Stop Loss at 6 ticks.

If I trade futures in the Crude Oil market (CL) it works ok, but when I place orders in the MiniDow (YM) or in the E-mini-Nasdaq (NQ) markets my stops don't work most of the time and instead of losing 6 ticks I lose 7 ticks (in some cases even 8 ticks).

I place orders from 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm (EST). This issue happens both on renko charts and time based charts.

I'm not an expert, but I don't think these gaps are normal.

Anyone can help? Thank you in advance.

Hello Giodap,

Thank you for the question.

Are you using a Stop Market or Stop Limit order?
    • A Stop Market order will guarantee a fill, but it does not guarantee a price. So, you may experience the slippage you are mentioning as the market price is moving so fast that by the time the order fills, the price has moved further than expected
    • A Stop Limit order will guarantee a price, but it does not guarantee a fill. If the current price jumps beyond your price and limit, the order will not fill.
    Slippage can be expected within a volatile market as the price is moving quickly with a high volume of trades.

As mentioned above, you may try using Stop Limit orders to guarantee your orders fill at your desired price, but if you have the limit too small, it could jump over your order and not fill.

If you would like us to review a specific order, please:
    • Go to your Documents > NinjaTrader 8 (or 7) > Select your Log and Trace folders and send them to a Compressed folder
    • Then attach that compressed folder to an email to PlatformSupport(AT)NinjaTrader(DOT)com
    • Please include 2734972 ATTN Clayton G in your Subject Line
    Clayton G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Clayton, thank you for your time.

I place orders with a simple ATM Strategy (see link below)

In more than 50% of cases, my 6 ticks stops become 7 (or more) ticks stops. I don't know if it is a matter of the markets (in this case MiniDow YM and E-mini-Nasdaq NQ) or an issue of my internet connection or Ninja configuration or what else... could it be such a thing? I don't know, so much slippage seems strange to me...

Anyway, if you tell me that these markets always behave this way, I will head for "quieter" markets such as crude oil, as it is impossible for me to trade with a small account and stick to a trading plan with such frequent slippage.

Thank you again.
      Last edited by Giodap; 09-09-2020, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Hello Giodap,

Thank you for the update.

Fill prices and slippage are determined at the exchange by market conditions and are not affected by the platform. I would suggest reaching out to your broker and talk to them about your trading plan and see if they have any suggestions on what would work best for you.

Please see this publicly available link on slippage for a more detailed explanation: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s...s%20are%20used.

If you still think there is something unexpected going on with your orders, please:
        • Go to your Documents > NinjaTrader 8 (or 7) > Select your Log and Trace folders and send them to a Compressed folder
        • Then attach that compressed folder to an email to PlatformSupport(AT)NinjaTrader(DOT)com
        • Please include 2734972 ATTN Clayton G in your Subject Line
        Clayton G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you very much for your help.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by WHICKED, Today, 12:45 PM
          2 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post WHICKED