Trend Channel Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trend Channel Tool

I cannot stand the channel tool, there is no a logical way to use it, really annoying ever time I use it, and I use it a lot, to always drag the wrong one, and always wasting time searching for which is the point to move the channel apart or the point to change its angle. Can't you copy it from mt4, tradingview and stop this silly channel that comes with NT8 ? Thanks Max

I am not quite sure that I understand the difficulty you're having with modifying the Trend Channel drawing tool. Can you provide more detail about the source of confusion? For example, I would expect that once both lines are drawing you can 'pick up' from any center anchor point (or any point on the line that is not the anchor points on the ends of the lines) to move both lines at the same time.

Can you tell me what exact type of change to the Trend Channel tool you're intending to make?

Comment

Patrick, thanks for answering. Do you know tradingview, i bet so, check their channel (as many other's platforms) and you'll see that visually, without using it, you already know which line of the channel is used to narrow or widen it and which line is used to change angle of the channel. On NT8 both lines look exactly the same, and it is always a matter of trial and errors, all the times, to find the correct line that narrows/widen and the one that is used for the angle. That's it. Hope you understand Thanks Max

Comment

Let's first define the expected functions of modifying Trend Lines anchor points.
        • Shorthand references to line/anchor point:
          • Line 1, anchor 1 = L1A1
          • Line 1, anchor 2 = L1A2
          • Line 2, anchor 1 = L2A1
          • Line 2, anchor 2 = L2A2
        • Expected behavior of modifying different anchor points:
          • L2 is based on L1, so changes to L2 should not affect L1.
          • Since L2A1 is the specified start time of L2, adjustments to L1 anchors only modify L1A2.
          • Since L2A2 isn't a specified anchor, its auto sets based on the rest, moving it moves the entire object.
          • Since L2A2 is based on L2A1, adjusting L2A1 auto-adjusts L2A2
        After playing with the TradingView Trend Line tool, it seems there are only 3 total anchors that have these functions:
        • Top line, left anchor - changes the angle and length starting from the left
        • Top line, right anchor - changes the angle and length starting from the right
        • bottom line, center anchor - changes the vertical width of the channel without changing the angle or horizontal size
        The TradingView tool lacks the functionality that the NinjaTrader Trend Line tool does in that you cannot place the second line independently as freely.

To accomplish the first and second functions in NinjaTrader, you would want to grab L1A2 which would allow you to compress or expand both lines as well as change the angle in sync.

To accomplish the third function in NinjaTrader, you would want to grab L2A1 which would move the second line horizontally or vertically independent of the first line.

You could also change the color and/or dash style for the parallel line to make it more visually obvious which line is the parallel line:

Comment

Thanks for the detailed answer. `As per mine daily necessities I have to say that I haven't felt a lack of functionality in tradingview, but rather a quick and alway precise way to draw a channel. Imho channel drawing must be a fast no brainer, and up to now everyday on NT8 is a constant struggle, it takes without exaggeration 5 time the time it takes to draw a channel in tradingview. These are the only factors that counts for me. If at NT8 you could give us a chance to change some parameters about the way the channel works, to resemble more or less the tradingview concepts, I bet it would be very much appreciated. Thanks Max

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion.

I have submitted this as a feature request to the Development Team. The internal tracking number for your feature request is SFT-5095. Please reference this internal tracking number when contacting Platform Support if you ever have questions regarding this feature request.

When a feature request is implemented, you'll find a description of the new feature in the release notes:
            Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 10-14-2020, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Hello Patrick, I'd like to also add that not having a way to have middle trend line within a channel is another very poor aspect of the channel tool. is that such a big deal to have a channel that works the way it should? I'm not talking any algorithm...just basic TA. I've stumbled on a post where in 2017 somebody was asking to have the middle line as it used to be on nt7. It is 2020, enough said, besides the fact that the channel tool as it is right now, sucks anyway

Comment

Lando Calrissian it is possible to add lines to the Trend Channel tool. Follow these steps:
                • After placing both lines of the Trend Channel tool double-left click on either line
                • Scroll down to the bottom of the properties to find 'Levels' > left click on 'Add price level...'
                • Enter the desired percentage which represents where the line will appear between the two existing lines (50% would be half-way) > OK > OK
                Here is a short video demonstration:

Comment

Thank you! At least that one

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by swestendorf, Today, 11:14 AM
                  2 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_Kimberly  
                  Started by xiinteractive, 04-09-2024, 08:08 AM