Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to get and use historical tick data

Hi all,

First off, with a subscription to NinjaTrader Continuum, how far back historically can I go back in time with tick data?

Also, what is the best way to get and use this data from the perspective of lowest bandwidth over the internet and highest performance during back testing and optimization?

I know that using data in memory is probably going to be the fastest, is there a way to load years (20 + years) of tick data from CSV files into the NT database for back testing and optimization?

I need to be able to use at least 20+ years of historical tick data is this possible at any means, e.g. over the internet, via files or from in memory database?

Thanks in Advance

Hello NeverDownMoney,

I tested the ES 12-20 by creating a tick chart and requesting 3650 days of data. It loaded data up to July 31st 2017.

I suggest to request the amount of data you like. If data loads up until a certain day then that's the amount of historical tick data that is available.

Please see the link below for information on loading historical data that explains the 3 levels of data access. As you mention, if data is in memory it loads the fastest. You could create a chart first that requests the same amount of data as the backtest. Subsequently perform the backtest and it will load data from memory.
    https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...tm#ThePRODUCTN AMEcacheandspeedinguptheloadingofdata

You can manually import historical data using the instructions at the following link. Please note that data needs to be in a certain format.
    https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ngImportOption s

JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Jason but it is not clear if this data that I am requesting is always going to come from the internet or is it possible to download it as a CSV file? The reason I ask is that I opened a chart and asked for tick data going back 20 years (7305 days), it took like forever to download but once it did I launched an automated strategy on it. Now when I go back and look and the trades the chart only goes back to 07/31/2017. Why am I not able to go back in time further?

Comment

Unfortunately there is no historical tick data available before July 31st 2017. When I tested, I loaded the same amount of historical tick data as reported in my first post.

Please note that loading 3 years of historical tick data will take a while to download.

However now that all that historical tick data is loaded in NinjaTrader, it won't have to download it from the internet when you request this data in NinjaTrader again. You can view all historical data you have present in NinjaTrader at Control Center-->Tools-->Historical Data. Please see the link below for more information.

JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello,
          I am a user of Ninjatrader since some years and currently like to expand my database with some additional futures symbols.
          In the past Ninjatrader offered at least 3 years of historical tick data as you mentioned below but now it seems to be limited to only 1 year.

1. Is it really limited to one year now or have I done something wrong?
          2. How or where can I get some more historical tick data?

For Backtesting (and this is one major purpose of NT) one year is definitely too short in my opinion.
          Many thanks in advance
          Last edited by Joerg; 11-19-2023, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your note.

1. NinjaTrader Historical Data servers only record the past 360 days of historical Tick data. However, some more popular instruments may have further data available.
            2. I'm unaware of an alternate data source that provides additional Tick data. However, I'll be happy to leave this thread open for other users to share their thoughts.
            Drew O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Try market replay data by intentional trader. I use it for trading practice over the weekend. It looks like the ES goes back to 03-14 and they have all the instruments you could wish for. However Im not a backtester so it might not fit your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_DrewO View Post
                Hello,

Thanks for your note.

1. NinjaTrader Historical Data servers only record the past 360 days of historical Tick data. However, some more popular instruments may have further data available.
                2. I'm unaware of an alternate data source that provides additional Tick data. However, I'll be happy to leave this thread open for other users to share their thoughts.
                ---

Hello! I have the lifetime license of Ninjatrader, version: 8.1.2.1 64-bit
                I'm aware of people having the same version and with or without the lifetime license they can load even 800/900 days of tick data. Could you please explain why?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by algospoke, 04-17-2024, 06:40 PM
                6 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post algospoke  
                Started by arvidvanstaey, Today, 02:19 PM
                4 responses
                0 likes